Saint George

asperity

5 minutes ago, Observer II said:

I class English Nationalism in the same catagorie  as Scots, Welsh or Irish Nationalism, so such celebration can only serve division - our Nation is the United Kingdom of Great Britain & N/Ireland, and long may it remain so.   As for George, he was a Turk anyway !     :rolleyes:😷

It's got nothing to do with "Nationalism" any more than St Patrick's Day is a celebration of Irish Nationalism, it's a celebration of the country's patron saint and an excuse to go out and have a few pints. Wouldn't our existence be boring if we didn't have a national identity to celebrate?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Observer II said:

I class English Nationalism in the same catagorie  as Scots, Welsh or Irish Nationalism, so such celebration can only serve division - our Nation is the United Kingdom of Great Britain & N/Ireland, and long may it remain so.   As for George, he was a Turk anyway !     :rolleyes:😷

Turkey didn't exist when George was alive. He came from the area where Turkey is located today but that doesn't make him Turkish, he would more properly be described as Roman.

9 hours ago, Observer II said:

I know,  he supposed to have been a Late Roman Officer, in the Region of Anatolia - modern Turkey to us.  He wouldn't actually have been a Turk, as they were still roaming the steppes at that time.    :rolleyes:

So why claim that he was? 🤔