Cummings and goings ?

Observer II

To call it a media frenzy would be an understatement, with wall to wall indignation all over the news -  the media have reduced a real crisis into a trivial blame game, in order to destabilise the Gov.   Clearly the Remoaner Press and Liberal allies are still smarting at Cumming's successfull involvement in the Brexit Referendum and are jealous of his apparent Rasputinesque influence with the PM.  So like some Western lynch mob,  they are demanding he resign.   Well I hope BoJo and his fickle backbenchers don't wilt under this onslaught, but continue to provide a semblance of decisive governance, that opposition carpers clearly would find impossible.    😠

• Upvote 2

The later questions in the conference were truly appalling and essentially aimed at promoting rule breaking by the public at large. Why,  because feigning outrage is the only way they can justify the utterly appalling abuse with all the media preferring to believe their own version of events compared to what was said by the PM and later Cummings. In my view the worst of all were the BBC who claim to be the bastion of truth whilst effectively running a vile campaign of hate based on nothing more than editorial opinion. The broadcast media have worked themselves up into a frenzy in an attempt to discredit Cummings and by association the Government. This has been nothing short of seditious tripe.

• Upvote 1

Spot on Obs. I don't think I've ever seen such hysterical hypocrites as the media and opposition MPs. This evening the BBC local news had this non story as their main item after extensive coverage of the same thing on the main part of the BBCNHS news "service". Sky news dispatched a reporter from London to travel up to Durham to see if she could dig up some more dirt. I watched DC's press conference this afternoon where he laid out in full his movements at the time and the reasoning behind them. From my perspective everything he did was within the guidelines laid down in the legislation, but the press couldn't help themselves, demanding at least an apology (for what? An apology to someone who hadn't been able to see a parent in hospital who had died apparently!) It's all being blown up out of all proportion in an effort to destabilise a government which is obviously doing it's best to cope with an unprecedented course of events. Shame on them, and shame on all those members of the public, out sunning themselves in public, who were asked for their opinions by the MSM and denounced Cummings. Especially shame on those members of the press who pounced on him outside of his house while ignoring any semblance of social distancing themselves.

I must say, i find the reason for a trip to Barnard Castle to test his eyesight implausible. 30 miles down a quieter than normal A1 would have served the same purpose.

Why did DC talk about threats received to his London home ,was that fall out from still smarting Remainers ?

Whilst I'm prepared to criticise HMG on it's handling of the crisis; what I'm not prepared to do, is support the personal vendetta that the media and opposition politicians have for the PM and DC;  with Starmer and Davy, having sworn to pursue constructive opposition; when all they are doing is criticising for it's own sake on the off chance it gets them support.  Well BoJo accepted the mandate given by a referendum, which eventually translated into a Tory majority; and now appears ready to stand by his promise to leave the EU by 2021.   This is what festers in the minds of the London centric media and opposition Remoaner politicians,  and they are prepared to fuel their partisan vendetta at the expense of a safe resolution to this pandemic.   Just hope folk will think carefully about it and not be led by the nose into the anarchy of mob rule by the media.     😠

The problem they've got is cracks appearing in the dam, with one Tory MP already resigning from Gov, frightened of so-called public opinion.  The only poll they need to worry about is the one in 2024, so they can brazen it out till then, and life will move on.   Clearly a case for reforming the Press and Media generally though; who should be reporting the news not inventing it.  😠

The problem may be that the so called  "public" don't like the fact that they think the rules that mattered were not the actual regulations, which they had not read, but what they were told they were by the media. They are annoyed by the media stories but cannot tell truth from fiction.

The thing is that members of the public are up in arms because they haven't been doing things they wanted to do, not because they weren't permitted by the regulations, but because this is what they thought was the case according to what the media was telling them. I think the government was taken by surprise by the willingness of the British people to shut up shop the way we have. The fact that thousands have felt entitled to go to the beach because the weather has warmed up doesn't seem to alter that perception. I'm perhaps lucky in that it hasn't changed my life too much, the only things missing being no Wolves games and my weekly meet up with my mate in Wigan.

I have to comment on the ongoing hypocracy of Starmer who, in his speech in January after becoming Labour leader, praised himself for never ever sacking a member of his staff for making a mistake. Now the same guy is saying that Boris should sack Cummings for "making a mistake". These people forget that everything they say is recorded for posterity and yet think they are the clever ones.

• Upvote 1

The whole saga is riven with hypocrisy - media reporters travelling the globe still,  Press reporters travelling the Country to spy on folk they want to smear; then crowd (no spacial distancing) outside their homes and finally, the great British public swallowing the fake news as they crowd the beaches.  In all this, it's not the (alleged) offence, but the motives behind the accusation that we really need to examine.  All enacted as a superficial distraction, when we need a Gov to act decisively to protect the population.    😠    😷

If DC committed an offence, which the Police said he didn't; he should have been fined - end of.  Will any of the antifa protesters in London or the lemmings on the beaches be asked to resign ?   Just bitter and twisted Remoaners, still trying to sabotage Brexit.     😠    😷

• Upvote 1

I must say .i find it very reassuring that our recent woes have disappeared  under the outcry over DC & the coronavirus in general. UK floods ,ISIS, Brexit , Syria etc etc have all disappeared from the news. And ,on the local news, they are now reporting approaching water shortages.

5 hours ago, Lt Kije said:

He should have been sacked!!!!, As a setter of the rules he should have set an example, one thing I do agree with is the media frenzy, sadly there is no other news, so they are feeding off each other

The attacks from the media are what has caused the damage, people seem to have been told by the BBC in particular that they should be questioning whether they should follow the rules when Cummings didn't. The problem is that Cummings didn't break the law or risk spreading the virus, All of the evidence from the media that he did appears to have been fake. We have to remember that Cummings wants to get rid of the licence fee so the BBC is not neutral is this. They were desperate to get rid of him but their tactic may well have now got the potential to cause local second waves. The pictures at the weekend and the significantly less careful behaviour in shops since the weekend suggest that the public is responding to the repeated calls of easing by the media. They should have reported it as minor changes for some people and ignored Cummings to protect the public. They have put their own corporate fortunes ahead of the public interest and I wonder if they will be made to pay.

Suggesting that Cummings wrote the Health regulations rather than it being the job of a civil servant in the health department is an interesting stretch. I for one suspect he didn't write it but did read it as the law assumes that we all have. The problem remains that the broadcaster's summary of the actual situation with conflation of regulations and guidance is all most people ever heard. No wonder they are easily manipulated!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Lt Kije said:

The police did say he committed an offence

No they said he "might" have committed an offence for which they would have not given a fine if he had just gone back to the farm, which he did anyway. The regulations allow a police office to consider anything reasonable at the time and since that did not arise they cannot say what would have happened. The BBC said he did commit an offence when they were reporting on the first break of the story from the Telegraph. However they change the wording when they got hold of the actual press release from Durham Police. The BBC were only to too happy to repeat the did line as an unconfirmed story from the Telegraph!

• Upvote 1