Lock down blues -

Observer II

I think one of the worst aspects of lock down is listening to the moans of those who want it to end and the limp ideas for ending it.   With over 60% support for the lock down in various polls,  the Labour Party, Tory Grandees, media and various businessmen keep whining for "an exit strategy".   We've been told  it will last until it is considered safe to take the foot of the brake and not risk another spike in infection rates.  Jon Snow on Ch4  had a businessman (Tory Party doner) on, clearly thinking he was all for ending lock down; but when he spoke, he clarified that he wasn't calling for lock down to end, but rather that when it does, it needs to be done selective and controlled manner, that can be monitored properly.   Meanwhile, there's all sorts of ideas being floated in the media;  EG: that pubs should be limited to selling 3 pints;  now what limiting pubs to selling 3 pints has to do with social distancing in a crowded bar, I don't know !    That footy can be played behind closed doors,  now whilst footy may not be as full on as rugby,  don't players physically contact each other in a tackle ?         😷

There's a lot of crazy ideas being mooted, mostly by people with a financial outcome from their preferred strategy. One horrific idea I heard being suggested was that pubs should be re-opened but only for people under 65!! Outrageous, I think they should only be open for men over 68, and their lady companions of course (someone has to hold the money 🤣).

• Haha 1

Pubs will need a lot of help when this is over to compete with the new intake of home drinkers. I can't see it happening ,but there would need to be a reduction in tax to encourage people back into pubs. I have never been a home drinker till lock down but some of the canned beer on offer these days is better quality & much cheaper than than the rehashed slops that some pubs charge a fortune for.

• Upvote 2

Can't see how a bio release on their home turf could be termed "an attack" Dave''.  An accidental escape from a bio lab or wet market,  into which the Chinese are refusing an independent investigation, maybe.  The lesson for the West is to abandon all sources of foreign foods, unless they conform with modern hygiene standards and start to produce (as far as possible) our own food sources.  😷  btw  US Intelligence Services have ruled out the the virus was man made, but I guess that won't stop Donald.    😷

• Upvote 1