What's the fascination in a cave ?

Observer II

Having got themselves trapped in a cave system,  first responders are risking their lives (already one dead), to get the Thai youngsters out.   Now with monsoon rains, the tunnels could quickly fill up with water leaving rescuers with a difficult extraction.  To travel over 1K in pitch black water, would test an experienced diver and could prove terminal for anyone who suffers from claustrophobia. The only other option would appear to be to drill down from above (1K), initially to supply air and supplies,  and later possible extraction.  But at the end of the day, we have to question why they went in there in the first place. 

My question wasn't about the incident but rather about your comment:

But at the end of the day, we have to question why they went in there in the first place. 

To which I replied with the question:

Do we? Why is that then?

So your answer is? Personally I don't believe it's any of my business what people do in private in a country on the other side of the world, but you obviously think you should stick your nose in.

Well, of course, just like anything else that appears on the news or is related by posters - giving cause for opinion and comment - thought that's what this board was about.  There's no compulsion to comment, and how a comment on this board can be classed as "sticking one's nose in", as folk outside this board won't even see it, is beyond me.    :rolleyes:

I can just about see the appeal of climbing a mountain but dark, damp and often smelly caves don't hold much for me as they remind me of our old outside loo.

I don't understand what a football team were doing going so deep into a cave system as it's not exactly exercise and fresh air. Any how it finally looks like they've started to get the kids out so let's hope it all goes well.

Bill :)

9 hours ago, Observer II said:

Well, of course, just like anything else that appears on the news or is related by posters - giving cause for opinion and comment - thought that's what this board was about.  There's no compulsion to comment, and how a comment on this board can be classed as "sticking one's nose in", as folk outside this board won't even see it, is beyond me.    :rolleyes:

I think you are compelled to opine publicly on just about everything lol

• Haha 1

Well they managed to get four out today thank God. I think the autorities there finally realized if they waited much longer the flooding could get worse and then they'd be accused of doing nothing to save the kids. Of course we only have what we see on the news to go on but I wonder if emergency services are less efective when they have to go through no end of risk assesments before they act at a major incident.

Bill :)

Bill, the distance they have to travel is over 1k, mostly under water and darkness. Believe they've set up air bottle relief and rest points en route where air pockets allow. First estimates per rescue were 9 hours. So an extremely difficult extraction at best, which they seemed to wish to avoid, but monsoon rains and flooding has forced their hands.

Why on earth anyone would want to go down there is way beyond my comprehension too as is why the the kids parents allowed them to go.  But the fact is they did and now they are all stuck.... hope to god they all get out safe and all the rescuers are ok too as it's so terrible. 

Maybe a very good lesson to be learned for others who may want to venture into those caves or others ...STAY OUT !!!    

• Upvote 2