Local History ?

observer

Are there any history buffs out there who could enlighten us on the early history of the Town ?   The Mersey Valley was subject to periodic flooding and no doubt formed a natural boundary for British (celtic) tribes, such as the Brigantes.  I believe however, that there were fords, and whether "Latch"ford  or "Or"ford  have some meaning in this regard, I don't know.  Seems the Romans had a crossing point in the vicinity of the Parish Church, built a corduroy road over marsh ground by the river (Wilderspool Causway) and had a factory site in that area. The Saxons may have used the River as their boundary with the Viking Dane-Law ?   The Normans had a Motte and Bailey in the vicinity of the Parish Church, and I guess early settlement would have been in that area, as the first bridge at "bridge foot" wasn't built until the middle ages.  

Warrington and it's surrounding villages has a fascinating past Obs.  I have many a book in my possession (thanks to my mum who was obsessed with local history) which detail a lot of the history  of the area.  As you say the Wilderspool Causway area (near to Greenalls, Lousher Lane and over to Stockton Heath was a prime location for the Romans back in the day and many artefacts have been discovered to proves that from the says of Thomas May's excavations in the early 1900's right up to the excavations carried out on Stockton Heath Primary Schools land before the lovely old Edwardian School was demolished by the council against peoples wishes. 

The original Roman Road runs right through the site of the school and it was unearthed just below the surface during the archaeological dig which was carried out prior to demolition.  They found remains of other Roman buildings, postholes, coins, jewelery, various kilns, pottery and even a most fantastic lined Roman Well and sadly intact cremation urns too which after testing were said to contain the remains of children among a lot more :(   Even the archaeologist said they wished they had more time to investigate the site further but they were given a timescale and had to abide by it. 

What is sure though is that there was a huge Roman presence in this little local area back then and probably a whole lot more lying dormant still waiting to be discovered.  I sometimes think that the council and developers don;t want to look to hard to find though as that throws a spanner in the works of 'progress'

I could go on and on ...but I wont as I get quite cross about it all and the way it that Stockton Heaths Schools land was 'looked into', recorded but then presumably deemed 'so insignificant' despite all the fascinating finds  that all mention was even taken of the schools website when it was revamped and the public eye had been taken away.        

Tried looking for maps or even artistic impressions of the landscape of that period; but have only seen one, showing the line of the Roman road, which crossed the Mersey near the now parish church, then went north passed the area of Sainsburys. (no congestion of course in those days !).   Haven't found any record of conflict with the British tribes (Brigantes), who I believe were clients of the Romans, under their Queen Cartumandua; although her husband didn't approve.   Not sure of the extent of Celtic settlement in the area either.  

Obs, I get so frustrated regarding the lack of history from the medieval period through time to the early Victorian era, there has been more recorded on the Roman occupation than any other period in the towns history and little about the ordinary lives of industry and day to day life of the latter centuries, whether it is under lock and key in the library/museum vaults I have no idea.

Not exciting enough algy.

Unless there are arms and legs flying off or juicy poisonings and the like not many are that interested.

can you imagine the sort of life a peasant farmer led.

Monday:- got up, fed the pigs, saw to the animals after that. ate breakfast. watched sun come up whilst fixing fence. had bite to eat around noon. mucked out the cows and milked the goat fed chickens, dug in some vegetables and then watched sun go down as i ate supper and then went to bed.

Tuesday:- see monday but with rain.

and so on and so forth with a break on thursday for market day once a month and the occasional visit from the local squire.

• Haha 1

On 28/02/2018 at 6:11 PM, observer said:

Actually Alg; I'm surprised no one seems to have written a definitive history of the Town,  perhaps the vague nature of a lot of the info is why ?      :wacko:

To be honest obs I don't think anyone has care about the town that much and still don't!.

3 hours ago, algy said:

To be honest obs I don't think anyone has care about the town that much and still don't!.

I do (well historically anyway).  There is so much information (somewhere) and I often wonder why that Janice Hayes lady from the library/museum has not published a book about the archaeolgical finds and history of the town and surrounding villages as she's done loads about the working town and such like.  You would think they would embrace the other stuff too.  The archaeological dig at Stockton Heath Primary school unearthed some absolute gems but even that the full report isn't available for us mere mortals to see and reed nor are all the photos that were taken by the company who dd it for the council.  I believe the full report (once edited to be more concise after being handed over to WBC) was deposited with the Journal of the 'somewhere or other' though and for a £price a copy can be bought if you are a member of the Journal society :(  

Given the gaps in the evidence, perhaps the story of the Town could be told in fictional form, using stories of successive generations within their presumed historical setting.  At least this could possibly bring the history to life and connect us with our heritage ?        :wacko:

6 hours ago, observer said:

Given the gaps in the evidence, perhaps the story of the Town could be told in fictional form, using stories of successive generations within their presumed historical setting.  At least this could possibly bring the history to life and connect us with our heritage ?        :wacko:

Good idea Obs, the Mighty Wire could be all conquering ! B)

9 hours ago, observer said:

I do rather like the sound of that Obs...maybe it could be done :D   Bringing history alive and awakening the imagination plus getting people (including of course youngsters and our future generation) interested could only be a good thing long term.  I used to hate history at school but that's because it was taught in a boring way but bring some 'life' into it and cover the local 'on your own doorstep' stuff too and it suddenly becomes fascinating, interesting and addictive.  It took me until I was in my 40's to realise that though ha ha

Unfortunately youngsters don't seem to have an interest in history they are too busy either enjoying life or else totally immersed in providing for and bringing up their families to give a thought as to what was going on last week never mind hundreds of years ago I know I was and there is nothing wrong in that, it's not until later on in life that you realise that you are not immortal and there is a finite end to existence especially when you lose your grandparents and parents and you have no one to approach to answer those questions about your ancestors that you should have asked when they were here, but Hey! as Esther Ranzen say's "That's Life" folks.

• Upvote 1

On 28/02/2018 at 6:11 PM, observer said:

Actually Alg; I'm surprised no one seems to have written a definitive history of the Town,  perhaps the vague nature of a lot of the info is why ?      :wacko:

I think what your talking about Obs are the Dark  Ages when virtually no history of Britain was recorded.  I think that period was between the Romans & Alfred the Great. I watched a couple of programmes the other day about the Romans which explained the background to their civilisation & the logistics  & infrastructure that supported their empire ,not to mention plenty of free labour  from their conquered client states. Even their army was comprised of foreign mercenaries & regular soldiers who,on completion of military service would earn the right to be called Romans. I suppose the Roman  Empire was the first global employer. Interestingly, it came across as the blue print for the EU.

Whilst considerable information exists about Roman and even Greek history, due to the fact that they were civilised enough to record it in their own histories;  what were talking about here is the history of a specific area - IE Warrington.   A degree of logic, would suggest, that the presence of the River Mersey, has a boundary has influenced that history throughout. EG: between the British tribes of the Brigantes and Cornovi;  the post-Roman Romano-British Kingdoms; the later Saxon Kingdoms, and finally the Viking Danelaw. 

God help the poor sods that are around in a hundred years or so that wish to consult the history of Warrington over the last 20 or 30 years as there won't be much other than the IRA bombings to hold their interest, not much that I can think of on the positive front anyway.

On 11/03/2018 at 11:53 PM, Dizzy said:

Maybe they will all somehow find this forum Algy. 

I'm not sure what they would make of it all if they dare venture out of the Local History of Photo's section though :lol:

Known as 'The Safe Zone' Dizz. :wink: