"Travellers" Welfare Checks

Bazj

Just read the story on the news page about "Travellers" at Culcheth. Why is it every time they park up somewhere, some council officer has to carry out welfare checks? Do they get them at every stop? because it certainly gets mentioned every time. How do the council justify the expense of carrying out these welfare checks at every camp? Surely if the welfare of those involved is in question, something more permanent than a check should be implemented

• Upvote 1

Box ticking. "no welfare check oh we can't move them on until it's been done" is what a judge would probably say to that one.

Maybe the council should start charging the travellers for these check. about eight hundred a go sounds about the going price..

They are subject to the same laws but choose to ignore said laws or at least push them to the limits.

Giving them somewhere to live should be no problem there is plenty of empty land next to the motorways.

as to why we have this somebody will no doubt bring in human rights (and quite possibly the EU as well)

Note the sum of £800 in my previous post is approx half the average council tax for a Warrington resident.

The big problems with travellers and the law is the fact that they are travellers. They have no fixed abode so enforcing a fine is almost impossible if the persons "House" has moved to another area. Unlike us normal citizens who have fixed housing and come under the "we know here you live" criteria. Travellers have the capability of  moving on before "the lads" arrive.

8 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

They are subject to the same laws but choose to ignore said laws or at least push them to the limits.

Giving them somewhere to live should be no problem there is plenty of empty land next to the motorways.

as to why we have this somebody will no doubt bring in human rights (and quite possibly the EU as well)

Note the sum of £800 in my previous post is approx half the average council tax for a Warrington resident.

The big problems with travellers and the law is the fact that they are travellers. They have no fixed abode so enforcing a fine is almost impossible if the persons "House" has moved to another area. Unlike us normal citizens who have fixed housing and come under the "we know here you live" criteria. Travellers have the capability of  moving on before "the lads" arrive.

With ANPR cameras on just about every street corner and in every police traffic car, finding them via their registration numbers would be a doddle. The problem is that the powers that be do not like to upset the "travelling" community for fear of being called racists...... they have the authorities over a very big barrel wherever they decide to illegally pitch up

Maybe the police and authorites should take their car reg details, their caravan make and model numbers and mug shots of them all too as part of the 'welfare' process.  That way if the same group then simply moved to another spot within the borough they have a record of who they are and that they have already been checked in the last few months, weeks or days....and then just move them on IMMEDIATELY.  By 'move them on' I mean right out of the borough area....with a warning that if they come back within a certain time frame they will be immediately removed again.

Back to the lot at Fearnhead who were served the Section 77 notice and were supposed to be gone by 4pm yesterday....yep the ones who ignored the notice (see news story here http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2017/07/05/travellers-set-up-camp-on-council-land-at-fearnhead/ ) .....have they actually gone now as a similar size encampment has set up near the Harvester at Westbrook.

5 hours ago, milly said:

They are currently on St Philip's school field. How come the law of trespass doesn't apply?

As daft as it sounds it's something to do with the Law of Trespass on land not being a crime but more of a civil matter Milly and as such the prevention of trespass [on land] is the responsibility of the landowner themselves and not the Council nor the Police. That's why when they camp up on council owned land the council then has to apply for a court order to move them as would a private land owner.

If however they break into buildings, like they did a few weeks when they camped up at the old school land at Birchwood and were removing the roof tiles and internal wiring (for scrap value?) then the police do then have the powers to act and move them off immediately.  They can also immediately move them if they are causing an obstruction or danger near a public highway.

Yes I know....it's all bonkers and I'm sure if I hitched up our caravan and just parked up wherever I fancied I'd be moved on in a flash and probably finish up with a criminal record.   The naughty part of me is very temped to try it at times just to see what would happen if we did it....I wonder if I would get a free welfare and health check too :lol:

5 hours ago, Davy51 said:

I'm surprised there are not H&S laws that would take care of these people in the same way they meddle in everyone else's lives.

Isn't that sort of what the welfare checks are that they always have to be given before any action is taken to move them on ?

As with all traveller issues trying to impose laws on them is more trouble than it is worth because they don't have a fixed abode. There would probably be quite a few H&S laws available if they could be enforced....gas bottles,sanitation ,number of people per room .

Dizz i once worked with a guy who had a camper van and used to do what you suggested. When he went on holiday, park up somewhere overnight and then move on in the morning. The police would come and have a word and he would just shrug and say get a court order knowing that it would take the best part of a week to do so, by which time he was back home.The daft thing is at that time if they did get a court order he could literally do a U-turn and park across the road from where he was in the first place and they would have to start all over again. Think that loophole has been closed though. Never had to pay to park up though and had a thoroughly great time on holiday.

Perhaps one way of discouraging them would to be to insist on a full medical every time they stopped for every member. a couple of checks of the prostate in a week and i think i would be wondering if it was worth the hassle. :shock::shock::cry::oops: