The Bill for Old Tyres

Dizzy

Front page news today http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/18772/1/MP-in-campaign-to-ban-old-tyres-on-buses/Page1.html

But surely there shouldn't have to be a campaign when people's lives may be at risk and it shouldn't have to take until November to for a bill to be passed.  It;s only a question of tyres being changed and any check on age could be done at the same time as the coaches MOT's etc.

There have been enough programmes on the TV etc showing the dangers of old tyres too...... quite scarey really

MOT's are fine but what is to stop the coach company putting the old tyres back on onc ethe coach has been MOT'ed.

Used be a favourite dodge of some of the taxi drivers at one time. brand new tyres put on, car mot'ed, old tyres put back on until next time.

Tyres tend to be checked for cracks and tread depth and that they are all the right type for the vehicle and that is about it.

Yes they do have to have MOT's every year just like cars, lorries and busses but from what understand about MOT's they just check for damage, wear and tread depth on tyres so an old one could look ok and pass those checks but might not actually be.

You wouldn't think a tyre on a coach would last as long as 10 years though with the weight and all the miles they do.

Don't think much tyre swapping goes on, but the fact is that the tyres on a coach can last a VERY long time without becoming illegal due to tread depth or visible damage if it's mainly used for local trips - taking schoolkids to the swimming baths, that kind of thing.

So yes, there are coaches on the road with tyres over 10 years old. But then, even brand new tyres can blow out unexpectedly.

If it wasn't raining Evils I'd go outside and take a pic of the date stamps on our car tyres but I don't want to get my new camera wet and my old one has no batteries in it. 

A lot of people don't realise there is a date code showing when they were made and when you buy a new tyre it might not actually be as 'new' as you think.  I only found out last year after chatting to my brother.

I don't think I'm on the wrong thread Wolfie and why do you ask ?  This is the one about old tyres and I was talking about tyre manufacture date stamp codes.  What are you and Evil Sid on about then .......

A couple of years after I retired, because I was bored with golf, got a CDL (PSV) and took a job as a tour bus (coach) driver - did it for six years and loved it.  Before every trip the driver has to do a complete safety check of the bus (even at four o'clock in the morning).  All the relevent points are listed on a check list, including tires - tread and pressure and the driver has to sign and date the form.  In the event of an accident, if any of the points are involved, the company and the driver are prosecuted. 

• Upvote 1