HS2 (part 2) ?

observer

Heard a Labour politician on Q/time, saying that there were no jobs in the provinces, but housing costs in the S/East were not affordable. This infers that HS rail is required so that the unemployed can commute to London, which seems to underline what it's all about. Surely, jobs (Gov Departments etc) should be moved out of London and the S/East to the provinces instead?

• 4 months later...

Apparently train operators in the north will soon be robbed of  trains which will be moved down south to supply their more pressing needs for rail travel. All at a time when the creaking north west roads have been named among the country's biggest bottlenecks.

billions and billions of pounds going to be spent on a railway line so a few train loads of people (rich people probably because the fares will certainly not be cheap by any stretch of the imagination) can get from London to Birmingham 20 minutes quicker than they do now.....

Absolute bloody madness

• Upvote 2

Some sources estimate the cost of HS2 at an incredible 80 Billion pounds by the time dust settles, and with the planning stage running madly over budget before a blob of concrete has been mixed, even that crazy figure might turn out low.

I suspect that getting their share of that lovely lucre is far more important to the movers and shakers than any improved journey times the finished product might deliver.

I have just watched a programme i recorded earlier in the week about the virtues of  London......the powerhouse behind the British economy & how it is a magnate for the global & domestic business community ,growing at record levels & prospering out of all proportion." Mind the gap/London v the rest " ,which portrayed the rest of Britain as a large suburb of the capital,  came across to me as an unashamed advert for HS2.

(part 2 is on next Monday )

The second part of the BBC programme  "Mind the gap"  presented by Evan Davies was aimed at telling the viewers that Britain now needs a Northern Hub that would grow out of all proportion to & probably detrimental to all the other towns  & cities in the region. Incidentally the site of the new Metropolis would possibly mean a link up being necessary between Manchester & Leeds so the present cities & everything in between would make up a new super city. It seems amazing to me that in these green times of saving the planet that such a magnet of commerce would do nothing but cause more pollution by encouraging more commuting from the rapidly declining dormitory towns & cities in order to fuel the labour needs of the new Metropolis.

You know what ,i can't help thinking i've heard  Manchester & Leeds mentioned in a major news story recently.....yes, that's it , aren't they the proposed new termini  for the northern end of HS2 ? 

I don't believe it ,what an amazing coincidence !

• Upvote 1

I believe in building a better future, you obviously don't :wink:

Building a better future for who? the children of the guys who stand to make millions and millions of pounds out of building HS2 or the future of the countless families that will be evicted in order to build the thing through their back gardens?

• Upvote 2

Lots of people will make money out of HS2 Baz, we live in a capitalised society, it's the reason you are in business is it not, and with faster links goods can move quicker round are economy and to are trading partners in Europe, so future business will benefit from the improved infrastructure, it will also creat jobs for many

Lots of people will make money out of HS2 Baz, we live in a capitalised society, it's the reason you are in business is it not, and with faster links goods can move quicker round are economy and to are trading partners in Europe, so future business will benefit from the improved infrastructure, it will also creat jobs for many immigrants

No hs2 is so that the nobs can get in and out of london to their lands up north quicker leaving the plebs to stagnate in the slower more crowded forms of rail transport. Will also mean that the proffesional MPs will be able to get back and to quicker too and claim a bit more on the exes.

• Upvote 2

I find it hard Obs, how can you have an opinion on HS2 when you know so little about it, HS2 will also carry goods, as our present rail system does, you are either ill informed or ignorant of the facts, which makes your opinion on here valueless :wink: , so no change really as it the same for you on most threads;)

I find it hard Obs, how can you have an opinion on HS2 when you know so little about it, HS2 will also carry goods, as our present rail system does, you are either ill informed or ignorant of the facts, which makes your opinion on here valueless :wink: , so no change really as it the same for you on most threads;)

Well you have an opinion and you know absolutely nothing about it excpt for the "facts" you have made up in your head

"Though rail freight will not use HS2" the idea is that it will release space on the slower more conventional lines as HS2 is purely for moving people about more quickly (posh people with the money to spend on fares.... the rest will have to sit on the old lines and dodge the freight trains"!

........ direct quote from http://hs2.org.uk/about-hs2/facts-figures/room-freight

Now I suggest you go and have a read before making anymore silly comments