Network Warrington

asperity

Seems to me you're looking for problems rather than solutions. Do you believe strike action is an effective way of getting public sympathy?

Sympathy no, but what solutions have you got, doing nothing, will not get you a pay rise

Most peopleI go to work to earn money not sympathy

I am sure that all the estates have a main distributor road  that would serve as a through bus route. And what about a comprehensive bus service to get people to & from work & i just don't mean 9 to5. When you weigh up though the buses are geared to providing a service for the subsidised pass holder because most services are most frequent between town centre shopping hours.

I am sure a bit of long term planning & investment could produce a great bus service for Warrington !

Sympathy no, but what solutions have you got, doing nothing, will not get you a pay rise

Most peopleI go to work to earn money not sympathy

What is the purpose of striking then? If they want to ensure that they get a pay rise in future surely the best course of action is to work towards the success of the enterprise, not by undermining it!

What is the purpose of striking then? If they want to ensure that they get a pay rise in future surely the best course of action is to work towards the success of the enterprise, not by undermining it!

is that what you are doing, how much of a pay rise did you get?

making things successful that is the role for senior managers is it not? wonder if their pay is frozen too?

WBT seem to be losing money, so striking because of no pay rise is going to lose money making a further argument for a pay rise difficult. Where do they suppose they get the money to make the payrises if the company is losing money?

I stopped using them to link with my train because the services after 5.30pm dropped in frequency and reliability. Invariably didnt turn up or turned up late.

As for links to the airports, used to be a coach service recently that did that but taken off because no one was using it.

Take your bus driving experience to an employer who values it more! How do you think Polish bus drivers get jobs in the UK? Just turn up and say they want to be a bus driver? This is how the system works. If you are in a job that has more than one employer in the area,and you know that you can get more money by changing your employer, then do it. If you can't, well either stick with the job you have or find another one that pays better. But going on strike does your job prospects no good at all. Can anyone point to a strike ever that succeeded in it's objective?

Still wondering how you compete on price and standards and still make a profit? Perhaps it would be simpler to subsidise public transport, funded by an increase in car tax. One bus would take 50 drivers off the road and reduce congestion; and those drivers who could still afford to stay in their cars would have a lot more road space for their money?!

Still wondering how you compete on price and standards and still make a profit? Perhaps it would be simpler to subsidise public transport, funded by an increase in car tax. One bus would take 50 drivers off the road and reduce congestion; and those drivers who could still afford to stay in their cars would have a lot more road space for their money?!

spoken like a true left winger..... complete and utter nonsense!

• Downvote 1

Can anyone point to a strike ever that succeeded in it's objective?

The NUT won a major dispute in 1896 ( yes I'm going back before Asp was born) when strike action by members in Portsmouth, backed up by support throughout the country, won the reinstatement of four teachers sacked for not starting work at 7.55 a.m. In addition, the action won a pay increase and a more civilised start time of 8.30.

I can remember when working at ICI, a strike that lasted 3 days, over the sacking of 2 employees. They were reinstated when the Unions threatened to have a National ballot. Up until then only ICI factories in the North West were involved. It was funny that at the time of the strike, ICI was being presented with the Queens award to Industry at a special dinner at the Heath which turned out to be a cold buffet because the catering staff refused to cook anything.

No Baz, what is utter nonsense is your post advocating that a bus company run at a loss. I realise that it's a difficult concept for petrol heads to get their heads round, (bit like asking a member of the NRA to support gun controls in the US), but there's logic in penalising "the problem" in order to subsidise "the solution" - two birds with one stone etc.

I've had a 3 year pay freeze so far, but things are starting to improve.

Management can only succeed with the support of the workforce. You will have to ask the management of Network Warrington what the salary arrangements of the the management are.

And freezing pay is the way to get support?

I imagine it's hard for senior managers to do anything if the staff aren't actually at work. 

is, it that not the point of a strike

WBT seem to be losing money, so striking because of no pay rise is going to lose money making a further argument for a pay rise difficult. Where do they suppose they get the money to make the payrises if the company is losing money?

I stopped using them to link with my train because the services after 5.30pm dropped in frequency and reliability. Invariably didnt turn up or turned up late.

As for links to the airports, used to be a coach service recently that did that but taken off because no one was using it.

Public transport will always loose money, as for the airport bus maybe people did not know one existed I did not.

It seems to be the way things are going but then maybe the money should come from these who can afford it.

I Sound Like a left winger here, but I would be very upset if I had a pay freeze so I understand the drivers reaction I go to work to earn money

f a company does not make money it is these that run it who are at fault, not these driving buses, doing admin and other such jobs.

Did not spell check so sorry for mistakes

Okay Wolfie, I will concede that on occasion the tactic may work (though I note both your examples were over issues other than pay). However, do you think that the present strike action by the drivers has any chance of success?

Not much, in my experience the only strikes that succeed are the total indefinite strikes, not pussy footing around with a day here and a day there.

• Upvote 1