Free Swimming

Rockcutting

Hello, sorry not a discount voucher but a serious question.

I have been very tempted, because of the very hot weather today, to take a towel and my speedos for a swim.

My Dad used to swim (in the 1930/40's) in the Manchester Ship Canal.

In my youth (1970's) I used to swim in the Bridgewater Canal.

If I were to swim in either of those or the Walton reservoir or even any of the very tempting ponds that I have seen on my walk today what dangers should I be aware of?

Obviously drowning (but I am a very competent swimmer) or Weils disease/ leptospirosis/ what?

But weren't all off these dangers there in years past?

I know what you mean RC. I'd love to go wild swimming but haven't, as a kid I remember we had a school holiday in the Lake District and the teachers took the class swimming in the River Esk - it was amazing. 

Other hazards I'm aware of; the shock of cold water can send your muscles into spasm so you can't swim and drown, you can get tangled in weed and our Mere here is currently infected with blue green algae which is toxic. There's a problem with ownership too, very easy to trespass on rivers etc.

Google 'wild swimming' there are quite a few forums out there who can give advice and suggestion locations. 

I believe the Mersey is quite safe from the water quality point of view to swim. I have seen people water ski on it, is there or was there not a water skiing club in Warrington. I believe there are swimming event on the MSC in Salford although not sure about water quality down stream.

River Weaver is another River that think is swimable as is the Dee in Chester, I have swam in the Dee many times. Pickmere lake is fine to swim in too, I did so often   when I was little

I saw a group of boys swimming in the canal in sankey valley recently, I wouldn't!

I really hope no youngsters are reading this topic :shock:  

Able swimmer or not some open waters are not safe for various reasons which is why every time it is hot the local police issue many WARNINGS. 

Like Baz said... just go to the local swimming baths or leisure club if you fancy a dip and don't take a chance on getting into difficulties, becoming ill or even drowning in open water.

Here's one of the local police's recent warnings..... kids please read !!

http://www.cheshire.police.uk/news--appeals/latest-news/2013/07/police-warn-of-dangers-of-open.aspx?lang=en-gb

Ok and very many thanks for all of your warnings but I really don't think that the blue green algy (or any other colour of Algy) is blossoming around here.

It did in some locations in the UK and dogs died because of it, but not really in this area despite warnings from the Environment Agency.

Also I think that the intense Media coverage a few years ago in the local press about "Warrington's Beach" was the reason for the poor young boy drowning in Walton Reservoir.

Free swimming is great, I have been enjoying it, but, now the weather is getting colder!

Ok and very many thanks for all of your warnings but I really don't think that the blue green algy (or any other colour of Algy) is blossoming around here.

It did in some locations in the UK and dogs died because of it, but not really in this area despite warnings from the Environment Agency.

Also I think that the intense Media coverage a few years ago in the local press about "Warrington's Beach" was the reason for the poor young boy drowning in Walton Reservoir.

Free swimming is great, I have been enjoying it, but, now the weather is getting colder!

Shouldn't that be algae, unless algy is not feeling too good..