New Harry Potter Book

Gary

Beloved Wizard Casts Final Spell

After years of anticipation, speculation and waiting, Stephen Holiman had the sweet spot on Friday night.

As a crowd of hundreds counted the last 10 seconds before the release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," Holiman was first in line at the Barnes & Noble.

The 52-year-old Harry Potter fan and father of two was buying three copies. One for his 16-year-old son, one for his 13-year-old daughter and one for himself."I've read all the books at least three times."

As he exited the bookstore, he wasn't concerned about learning the plot of the book from outside sources.

"My only concern is my son. He reads faster than me. The internet, the TV - I can turn them off. But I cannot turn off my son," he said.

Thousands of local children - and millions around the world - traveled to bookstores Friday night seeking J.K. Rowling's novel and some closure. The book is the seventh, and final, installment in the series. It went on sale at 12:01 this morning.

Dressed in a cloak and carrying a wand, Hayley Divers of Tampa had transformed herself into a dead-on version of Ginny Weasley, Harry Potter's girlfriend. For the 9-year-old, the trip to Barnes & Noblewas a bit of a struggle. She had foot surgery Tuesday. "This is her first time out of the house since the surgery," said her dad, Brett. "She's being a real gamer."

When Hayley's best friend, Hillary McLauchlin, 9, showed up, they went to check out the various games and items Barnes & Noble offered at its Midnight Madness party, including glow in the dark glasses, a magic potions class, photos with a cardboard Harry Potter and a costume and trivia contest.

Rest assured the 9-year-olds, and most Potter fans, probably are not reading this story. They have something else to read this weekend.

"She'll want to stay up all night," said Jay McLauchlin of his daughter. But, he added hopefully, "I don't think she'll make it."

Though the numbers for the Harry Potter series are impressive - a 12 million copy first press run of "Deathly Hallows" in the U.S. alone, Rowling moving from welfare to being a billionaire, Hollywood film adaptations that have made $1.2 billion - the most impressive aspect of Potter-mania is that it has made reading cool again for millions of children. And their parents.

My son and his wife read the book in 14 hours! They said it was very good and not at all what they had heard via spoilers and such.

I will wait until it comes out in the library - although I would like to read it sooner. Ahh well.

Originally posted by Mary:

My son and his wife read the book in 14 hours! They said it was very good and not at all what they had heard via spoilers and such.

I will wait until it comes out in the library - although I would like to read it sooner. Ahh well.

Tell them to mail you their copy. :wink:

I downloaded the 'leak' of the book the day before it was released, a huge file filled with pictures of every page (and some dudes fingers...)

I'm not going to read it, I only got it so I could skip to the end and ruin it for my girlfriend.

[ 27.07.2007, 13:09: Message edited by: Big Ste ]

• 2 weeks later...

I finally bought and read the book - it really was a great book, I would recommend it to anyone. Although having said that , they really should read the first 6 to understand all the twists and turns. I would grade this one an A~!~ :D :loveyou: