The American Dream-

observer

You know you're American when:
50,000 handgun murders a year is OK but drinking at age 20 is not.
You have the 'world's best universities' such as Harvard, yet in some states literacy is 40%.
You're not up for oil in your seas but it's cool for an American company to release poisonous gasses and kill 15,000 Indians.
You like to live in the land of the 'Free' but 6 in 1000 people are currently in jail, and 17-year-olds can be put on Death Row.
Your idea of global peace is maintaining armed forces in 135 countries.
As the 'greatest nation on earth' only 18% of citizens have passports, and most who have ever been overseas were serving in the army.
You have more guns than people in your country.
Total defence spending is in excess of $1 trillion (!)
Your nuclear arsenal could wipe out the earth many times over.
It took your 'Land of the Free' almost 300 years to give equality.
Your presidents have lied, cheated, had affairs, started illegal wars, been bribed by big business and when one tries to give free medical care to the poor he is called a 'Communist'.
You cannot see the irony in arming the Taliban/Mujaheddin and giving them poppy (opium) seeds to help them fight the Russians, then proceeding to invade and get shot at by the same AK-47's that you gave to the 'terrorists' in the 80's.
The right to bear arms is more important than the right to free speech, as free speech 'helps terrorists'
Cannabis is illegal, yet the Constitution is written on hemp.
With 5,000 nuclear warheads operational, 140,000,000 ready armed forces men and women is still deemed neccessary.
You are the global pioneers in obesity, gun crime, class divisions and inequality, and also warfare.
13,000 people have been given the death penalty in your country's history, despite the constitution not mentioning it at all.
You felt the need, in times gone by, to make rugby 'exciting', and so invent 'American Football', and baseball from rounders/cricket, basketball from netball, but didn't bother to make golf any more extreme.
Marriage is a cornerstone of your society, but half of children witness their parents having a divorce before they turn 18.
Statistically your daughters would be more worried of becoming fat than nuclear war or cancer.
Your CO2 emissions are more than every LEDC country in the world's added together

It is called - The American Dream

The American Dream is that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement. It is a difficult dream for the European upper classes to interpret adequately, and too many of us ourselves have grown weary and mistrustful of it. It is not a dream of motor cars and high wages merely, but a dream of social order in which each man and each woman shall be able to attain to the fullest stature of which they are innately capable, and be recognized by others for what they are, regardless of the fortuitous circumstances of birth or position. [The Epic of America, 1931]

Colour does not seem to enter into it!.

according to the report I read the were particularly keen to get at the brain.

Desperately looking for brains in the USA is a tradition that continues to this day.

spitting image did a sketch about Reagans brain.... if I remember rightly!

Not a fan of America then Wolfie?

Good question Asp.

As you probably realised the list is just copied from the web. I didn't agree with everyone, and I'm not sure if others are actually true, but I thought what the hell, post it anyway and someone may take offence or post a smiley.

I have relatives who live in America, who are doing very well and they think it's a great place to live.

But after some thought  the short answer would be No! - I'm not a fan.

Good question Asp.

As you probably realised the list is just copied from the web. I didn't agree with everyone, and I'm not sure if others are actually true, but I thought what the hell, post it anyway and someone may take offence or post a smiley.

I have relatives who live in America, who are doing very well and they think it's a great place to live.

But after some thought  the short answer would be No! - I'm not a fan.

You little tinker, you!. :wink:

index_zps3e4c82c0.jpg

There are many pro's and cons about emigrating; on one programme about a family looking to move to Australia, they were adding up the monthly costs to live there and they had to account for up to £120 a month just to run the air conditioning!!! :cry:  it just shows that the grass isn't always greener!

Not really looking to move abroad, I certainly would not go to America or Australia, If I went it would probably be New Zealand or the Nordic Countries.

aww go on.... you might like it..... I'm sure we could all have a whip round for you!! :lol:  :lol: