Tories to dump Human Rights Act, says minister.

algy

I agree to a point, however there are situations where it is beyond any doubt that someone is the killer, in those circumstances their life should be extinguished, take the animal who recently shot the two police women in Manchester, he does not deserve to live, how do you think the partners and families of those two girls feel knowing that the scum will eventually be released. My opinion of the Human Rights Act is that yes it is required but in a different format than it is at present, it needs to protect the basic rights of UK citizens and some basic aspects of prison life, at present convicted criminals have it too cushy, I have a friend who is in the prison service and for a few years now they are not allowed to wear peaked caps as it intimidates the inmates, have you ever heard so much crap in all your life.

On the other hand i can't imagine Britons imprisoned abroad being given best steak & bangers & mash...if they don't like rice they starve & in a lot of countries they have to buy food when in jail.

I would hope we would not have ambitions to join the worst of the countries in the world - we are better than that, surely?

It is a pity that Baz (unsurprisingly in his case) can't get over macho posturing when it comes to our rights (those that protect all of us - criminal or not) .

Macho posturing???? Someone has to counter your liberal softiness.... I have rights; yes I do and I have them because my forefathers fought for them and did not win them to have them abused by serial scumbags who are only there to play the system

Some of those rights that Baz would see jettisoned  are;

Prohibition of torture - yes Baz I am against people being tortured - I suggest you may need therapy if you are in favour of being arbitrarily subjected to physical pain.

Prohibition of torture is also covered by the UKs ratification of the UN Convention Against Torture....

The right to a fair trial - so are you in favour of someone, once convicted of one offence, being automatically receiving additional prison sentences for any further alleged offences, without the convenience of being tried?

Fair trial guarantees are also enshrined in the Geneva Convention on the right to a fair trial which the UK is a signatory of.... if you are accused of further crimes whilst in prison, this would cover that worry you have

Freedom of thought, religion and belief - for example authorities forbidding a Muslim to perform his prayers or having the choice to eat food against his belief or starve.

The freedom of religious beliefs and freedoms are all covered under UN charters; to which the UK has signed up for....

Lack of discrimination - is it okay for individuals to be singled out for special treatment (perhaps even the torture that you are appear to be in favour of)_ based on their race or because their Islamic or Jewish faith ?

No discrimination

As above, discrimination is outlawed under international conventions signed and ratified by the UK.....

The simple fact is that the European court is used by criminals and terrorists to try and get off with their crimes.... International law (which doesn't have a court or a million lawyers prepared to take on the cases of these criminals) covers all of the important items that Nick seems to think we will lose if we ditch the ECHR.... just not so

and finally for now.....

The case of the assylum seeker who killed a young girl while he was driving illegally and he successfully used the ECHR to argue that he should be allowed to stay in this country because he has a young family.... the family of the girl he killed had no rights.... which I am sure you will think is absolutely fine?

I agree to a point, however there are situations where it is beyond any doubt that someone is the killer, in those circumstances their life should be extinguished, take the animal who recently shot the two police women in Manchester, he does not deserve to live, how do you think the partners and families of those two girls feel knowing that the scum will eventually be released. My opinion of the Human Rights Act is that yes it is required but in a different format than it is at present, it needs to protect the basic rights of UK citizens and some basic aspects of prison life, at present convicted criminals have it too cushy, I have a friend who is in the prison service and for a few years now they are not allowed to wear peaked caps as it intimidates the inmates, have you ever heard so much crap in all your life.

Nick and his liberal softies would no doubt have your mate calling the inmates "Sir" and folding down their beds at night.... the simple fact Algy is that most if not all of our basic rights are covered by international treaties and charters and the ECHR is purely a way of highly paid (by legal aid usually) lawyers to get criminals off with crimes they have comitted or to give criminals rights that in may cases they themselves have denied to their victims

Any Country should have the right to deport undisirables to their country of origin - regardless of claims of torture or the death penalty. If these are issues, they should be taken up by the international community with those countries that practise them. As for arguements about descending to the level of Belarus or Russia - well, didn't the USA (our number one friend and ally!), pursue a policy of kidnapping suspected terrorists around the world, then taking them to countries that practised torture for interrogation (with the alleged support of the UK secret service), prior to dumping them in Quantanamo for further abuse?  And the USA has a special extradition treaty with the UK, which is used to extradite UK citizens. So another fine hypocritical mess the luvvies have dropped us in.

Macho posturing???? Someone has to counter your liberal softiness.... I have rights; yes I do and I have them because my forefathers fought for them and did not win them to have them abused by serial scumbags who are only there to play the system

Prohibition of torture is also covered by the UKs ratification of the UN Convention Against Torture....

Fair trial guarantees are also enshrined in the Geneva Convention on the right to a fair trial which the UK is a signatory of.... if you are accused of further crimes whilst in prison, this would cover that worry you have

The freedom of religious beliefs and freedoms are all covered under UN charters; to which the UK has signed up for....

As above, discrimination is outlawed under international conventions signed and ratified by the UK.....

The simple fact is that the European court is used by criminals and terrorists to try and get off with their crimes.... International law (which doesn't have a court or a million lawyers prepared to take on the cases of these criminals) covers all of the important items that Nick seems to think we will lose if we ditch the ECHR.... just not so

and finally for now.....

The case of the assylum seeker who killed a young girl while he was driving illegally and he successfully used the ECHR to argue that he should be allowed to stay in this country because he has a young family.... the family of the girl he killed had no rights.... which I am sure you will think is absolutely fine?

Clearly the red mist came down and you could not remember , or even read, what you posted, in at LEAST two separate postings - that criminals should have NO rights - not just those under the Human Rights Act /ECHR .

No I do not think that the decision you singled out is fine, obviously.

The way you thrash out verbally makes we wonder if you are like this in general life and, if so, how you yourself have avoided falling foul of the law (assuming you have avoided doing so). There are plenty of people in prison because they have reacted badly to a perceived wrong being done to them.

Nick and his liberal softies would no doubt have your mate calling the inmates "Sir" and folding down their beds at night.... the simple fact Algy is that most if not all of our basic rights are covered by international treaties and charters and the ECHR is purely a way of highly paid (by legal aid usually) lawyers to get criminals off with crimes they have comitted or to give criminals rights that in may cases they themselves have denied to their victims

From what i hear from a prisoner officer friend inmates now have to be addressed as  Mr. ......... ! 

Clearly the red mist came down and you could not remember , or even read, what you posted, in at LEAST two separate postings - that criminals should have NO rights - not just those under the Human Rights Act /ECHR .

No I do not think that the decision you singled out is fine, obviously.

The way you thrash out verbally makes we wonder if you are like this in general life and, if so, how you yourself have avoided falling foul of the law (assuming you have avoided doing so). There are plenty of people in prison because they have reacted badly to a perceived wrong being done to them.

Look Nick.... you are just being pedantic now.....criminals should not be afforded the general rights that a free person should have is what I am saying of course they should not be tortured etc... but they should still be slopping out and they should not under any circumstances have access to news media, TV's or any other luxuries.... Someone on trial is NOT a criminal until sentenced....... and to quote your phrase OBVIOUSLY.... but we have no need for the criminals charter which is the ECHR as all of the basic rights you softies so strangely wish to afford to the scum of the earth are covered under various international treaties that the UK are already signed up to so no need to get your toga in a twizzle

You do make some general assumptions about my character etc.... obviously it is none of your business, but just to reassure you I have served my time for hunting down and killing the last person that insulted me on a forum; and that sort of behaviour is all in my past now..... or at least I hope it is......

It was their decision that put the rag in the cogs.  Look, it simples:- if someone foreign commits a crime in this country, I can't see why they assume "rights" one would expect of a citizen of this country. They should be simply returned to the land of their birth. 

"Not them now is it" - what kind of response is that?  If it wasn't for the ECHR appeal decision he'd be back in Jordan by now, presumably with his family, making a rather large house available for a British family and making a saving for the tax-payer on benefits and legal aid.