Afghanistan -

observer

Camps have been used since roman times, the Spanish used them against Cubans and the Americans used them against the Indians, but neither were used as permanent solutions, it was the British who coined the term and moved who populations into them, the first modern concentration camps. The Spanish just used barbed wire and put it round towns to stop the cubans leaving. It was the British who first made purpose built camps, and by the way many boar women and children starved to death in them.

Is that ok for you

I also have books on the Boar war, I will pass on the titles if you want, but googleing it brings up thousands of snippets, Now you pass on your evidence for Damacus.

Totally missed the point again: You originally inferred that concentration camps were an Imperial act against the native peoples of Africa (as a criticism of the British Empire). I merely pointed out that they were used against the Boars to starve out their Commandos, and unfortunately (probably through incompetance), starved the women and kids too. However, it was a tactic that won that war - so perhaps the end justifies the means. :wink:

Totally missed the point again: You originally inferred that concentration camps were an Imperial act against the native peoples of Africa (as a criticism of the British Empire). I merely pointed out that they were used against the Boars to starve out their Commandos, and unfortunately (probably through incompetance), starved the women and kids too. However, it was a tactic that won that war - so perhaps the end justifies the means. :wink:

Obs, I have been following this post and in my eyes 'the end NEVER justifies the means', if Adolf had succeeded, his final solution to the Jewish problem as he saw it was to exterminate the Jews plus any other poor unfortunates that didn't conform to his 'master plan', he would have claimed that the extermination of the Jews would have 'justified the means', the eradication of innocent people can never 'justify the means!.

Concentration camps were invented by the British to "concentrate" the Boar population and prevent them supplying their menfolk; the tactic was used again in the Malayan Emergency against the communist insurgence. In both instances it contributed to winning the war. Niether had anything to do with exterminating jews,the term "concentration camp" was a later abuse of the term. :roll:

Obs still waiting for your evidence, Agy completely agree with you, the end never justifies the means, when Women and children are killed..

That is precisely where I was coming from Lt.

To Quote you obs " Big Boys games Big Boys rules", I couldn't agree more, but don't drag women and children into the game!.

Alg, don't tell me that you think women and kids wern't involved in the N/Ireland troubles or any of the other civil/sectarian conflicts going on around the world? btw women now have equal rights - and in the M/East that can include wearing a suicide vest! :shock: The point of concentrating insurgent populations in controlled areas was to starve out their menfolk from re-supply. In S/Africa, it appears the British were incompetant at re-supplying these concentration camps. However, the strategy worked, as it did later in Malaya, and had the Yanks adopted similar tactics, the story of Viet-Nam may have been slightly different. :shock:

Errm, yes actually Cleo; they as a society couldn't endure the loss of over 50,000 young soldiers; while the Viets were prepared to endure the loss of millions - they obviously had the stonger belief and moral fibre, and of course were fighting for their own homeland. Not movies btw, documentaries. Think they considered nukes Baz, but three times the tonnage of bombs dropped during WW2 is everything but! :wink:

You really need to read posts before diving in Cleo - the term I used was "were winning militarily". The climax came with the Tet Offensive, which involved attacks throughout the whole Country, notably at the ancient City of Hue and in Saigon, where a suicide squad entered the gardens of the US Embassy. All this was closely covered on TV News; and although the Yanks quickly restored the situation, decimating the VC in the process; the impression was to totally deflate any remaining political will to continue the war by the US public; as summed up by a famous Walter Cronkite report. :roll:

As a new member I read with interest the whole thread, and I also wastched the tv programme about Afghanistan,and Ihave to say that Britain's role in their history did not fill me with pride. Someone also mentioned thr Tamils. I feel that the present problems in Sri Lanka were caused by the British Empire's 'importation' of Tamils from India to work in their tea plantations in Ceylon as it was called then. I feel that a lot of the present world problems have their roots in the meddling of the old colonial powers

A belated welcome to the forum Scottie - hope to see you posting on a regular basis.

50,000 dead out of a population of over 200million V around 2million dead out of a population of around 50million - some bloody nose. What it does illustrate however, is that they won precisely because they had the moral capacity to endure such losses, something no Western State or Ideology could. :wink: