The Earl of Sandwich finger food enterprises

Jerry

It says here the Eleventh Earl of Sandwich opened some eateries in 2001, including NY, Florida, and California. I was interested to see that the original sandwich was simply a slice of roast beef with some mustard and horse radish. Simple. I dislike the Dagwood Bumstead gourmet sandwiches some foodies like to tout. That's just grumpy me.

In Korea for a year I tried and tried to convince the locals that pizza is expressly designed as finger food, but noooooo, they kept right on using a knife and fork on their pizza. I completely lack persuasive skills.

In Korea for a year I tried and tried to convince the locals that pizza is expressly designed as finger food, but noooooo, they kept right on using a knife and fork on their pizza.

should have just took away their knives and forks Jerry........ think outside that box man! :lol:

When we were on our honeymoon cruise myself and the first Mrs. Inky had 6 Americans as our table mates for dinner each night.

Now these were not your average products of America, the cruise was EXPENSIVE - plus they'd all flown over from the US to pick up the ship in Harwich - so they were all doctors, lawyers, retired engineers, etc. and their wives. Wealthy people, people who you'd expect to have attended the odd black tie dinner or two in the past.

Not one of them could handle a knife and fork properly. One woman even had to have her steak cut up for her by the maitre d, another was completely defeated by her lobster therimdore. Forks were exclusively grasped in the right hand and used as spoons.

We were told, "Gee, don't you guys eat purty!"

Inky -- my father had a mother-in-law with the family name Harwich. I used to wonder if she was a distant cousin of Sir Cedric Hardwicke.

I didn't know thee was port called Harwich. Must look that up. In the stage play BECKET Henry II is saying, "what is this thing about forks -- introduced to us by the French." Becket replies, "they are washable" -- the King says, "so are fingers, I don't see the point..." Becket adds, "it's a...... refinement."

Harry -- it was August 30, 1996 to August 30 1997 - under contract with the Ministry of Education to coach their high school English teachers conversational practice -- hearing and speaking -- for their Globalization program -- they brought in more than a thousand of us from Great Britain, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland -- to familiarize their international sales people in ACCENTS. It was the best year of my life. It was against the law to watch North Korean TV but I lived in a valley near the DMZ and saw Kim Jong Il's birthday party on channel that wasn't jammed.

In the stage play BECKET Henry II is saying, "what is this thing about forks -- introduced to us by the French." Becket replies, "they are washable" -- the King says, "so are fingers, I don't see the point..." Becket adds, "it's a...... refinement."

So your saying that Americans have the table manners of a medieval frenchman!

In defense of my medieval countrymen -- I've heard it said that the Brits use the opposite fork to ingest morsels of meat - i.e. with the left hand, while normal etiquette in the states says 'hold the meat firmly with the fork in left hand to cut it, then transfer the fork to the right hand to spear and put the meat into your mouth.'

OMG! I'm getting addled in my old age. Perhaps it was just the reverse.

As for lobster, these people evidently had not eaten the creatures in Maine where picking it apart with a tool other than knife and fork are employed. I would like to see a demonstration of British diners dealing with consuming those creatures.

We take pride in being unpretentious, but then, you may rightfully be appalled.

The fork stays in the left hand, tines pointing downwards. .

The knife stays in the left and is held more like a pencil than a dagger.

Well I'd like to watch you eat you tea Inky :lol:

How earth can you hold both in your left hand at the same time.... I just tried and it's beyond me.

Also a knife should certainly not be held like a pencil and even the link you give tells the correct way and I quote :

"pick up and hold your knife in your right hand. The index finger is mostly straight and rests near the base of the top, blunt side of the blade. The other four fingers wrap around the handle"

Also a knife should certainly not be held like a pencil and even the link you give tells the correct way and I quote :

"pick up and hold your knife in your right hand. The index finger is mostly straight and rests near the base of the top, blunt side of the blade. The other four fingers wrap around the handle"

I totally agree Dizzy!

Sorry, typo on the left hand/ right hand thing!

I said more like a pencil than a dagger, not "in exactly the same way you'd hold a pencil", to point up the fact that the first finger goes along the back of the blade just as the first finger goes towards the point of a pencil - and because I've seen many of our colonial cousins holding their cutlery in their fists like they were about to stab someone with it!

A Post Script to this topic on June 1. Two contenders for opposing Obama in 2012 met in NYC -- and the attending press were aghast at Donald Trump's use of a fork to ingest pizza at their dinner. He explained that he did not care for the crust on pizza, and was merely scooping up the cheese, tomato sauce, and accoutrements. Still, a question has arisen: is he really a New Yorker, home of pizza mania? Will he show us his birth certificate?

Worse luck. My own brother thinks that since The Donald installed a 70 foot high flagpole on his golf course on Palos Verde Peninsula, with a super large American flag, Donald Trump is the most patriotic of all the contenders. Since I've stopped putting out a flag on July 4 my brother insults me with emails about 'patriotism'. There's probably one in every family.

Sorry, typo on the left hand/ right hand thing!

I said more like a pencil than a dagger, not "in exactly the same way you'd hold a pencil", to point up the fact that the first finger goes along the back of the blade just as the first finger goes towards the point of a pencil - and because I've seen many of our colonial cousins holding their cutlery in their fists like they were about to stab someone with it!

Perhaps its the company :wink::lol: