Bridge Street

kevofaz25

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:shock::?:shock: I'm so glad I grew up and vacated the 'Bridge Street Scene' many years ago. Mr Smiths was great and we never saw any trouble but I am talking a long time ago :oops:

Worrying thing is that in two years time my son will undoubtably want to spread his wings even more and venture into the nightime black hole that Warrington Town Centre seems to have become. It's a thought that fills me with complete and utter dread :evil::shock:

:

Worrying thing is that in two years time my son will undoubtably want to spread his wings even more and venture into the nightime black hole that Warrington Town Centre seems to have become. It's a thought that fills me with complete and utter dread :evil::shock:

There must be very many parents who feel as you do Dismayed, and would thus support a 'clean up' of the town centre.

Warrington at night is just a cess pit!

And you wonder LP, why folk don't patronise Bridge St in the day time - the blood and pavement pitzas are still there in the morning! :wink:

Yep. Bridge Street is a cess pit in the day as well!!!

The blood and pavement pitzas are still there and the drunks are falling out of the pubs all day long.

Close all the pubs and Bridge Street would recover, the solution is that simple. :roll:

I can remember the time when Bridge street was a time and place of social activity. OK it wasn't the place that mothers wanted their daughters to be on a Saturday evening but it was a place of activity on a social level. People met at the end of the evening and interacted in a way that transcended the rules. Percieved values were challenged, the lucky ones got it on.

I wonder if the same thing is going on now.

The council have failed to keep this area, just take a look and wonder where the money went.

Maybe our youth are keeping a tradition going!!!!

What hope do we have when the police issue cautions to two rugby players arrested for being involved in a brawl during the early hours on Bridge Street. (Article on front page today).

They should have faced a public trial and if found guilty be locked up to set an example that drunken behaviour in our town centre will not be tolerated.

I would like to see the lower half of Bridge street as far as possible, made into a place for young people to go. Facilities for most indoor sports and activities - even a modest swimming pool.

I cannot see lower Brdge street surviving as it is at present and young people need encouragement to take up healthier activities.

I believe there is quite a bit of room behind most of the facades.

Happy days

What hope do we have when the police issue cautions to two rugby players arrested for being involved in a brawl during the early hours on Bridge Street. (Article on front page today).

They should have faced a public trial and if found guilty be locked up to set an example that drunken behaviour in our town centre will not be tolerated.

Totally agree! They should have faced trial and if guilty been locked up, and as well as being dropped from the team should be banned from Rugby league for life.

It's ridiculous the way we allow people who revel in unsociable behaviour to attain celebrity status.

Kate Moss snorts coke in front of her kids yet still gets modelling contracts. Then there's Amy Whinehouse etc etc etc.

It's not teenagers who give these idiots contracts!

It seems the more they are splashed across the front pages for their antics the more contracts they get. :roll::evil:

Is it any wonder that young people then get the idea that the quickest, easiest way to get on in life is through drugs, drink and violence?

The sports associations should be more responsible and shouldn't be giving opportunities to loutish idiots.

The press shouldn't give them coverage, and owners of performance venues shouldn't allow them the opportunity to perform. They would be forgotten almost overnight!

I would like to see the lower half of Bridge street as far as possible, made into a place for young people to go. Facilities for most indoor sports and activities - even a modest swimming pool.

I cannot see lower Brdge street surviving as it is at present and young people need encouragement to take up healthier activities.

I believe there is quite a bit of room behind most of the facades.

Happy days

Harry, do you not think that young people already have enough?

There are plenty of sports centres, pools etc where they could go if they wanted. And please don't tell me they can't afford it, the amount they must be spending to get themselves p***ed out of their heads would easily get them into the baths, pictures etc etc.

The reason they don't go is because they prefer drugs, drink, and violence! If this was not so freely available then they might just take up more sociable hobbies!!

With regards to Bridge Street, I personally would clear them out of it completely they've caused enough damage there already!!

With the ageing population being in the majority don't you think it might be reasonable to expect something to be left for the over 40's???

I think we should just stop pandering to the spoilt little brats and get them in order!!! :evil:

I was thinking of youngsters and early teenagers. Glorified youth clubs if you like - as the YMCA used to be and Warrington boys club.

Sport is king in my view - so many of todays troubles would be much reduced if we could channel young peoples energies.

Lastly, no , I don,t think young people have too much. I can think of about twenty youth clubs and about a dozen cinemas; five or so dance halls - plus freedom to roam - in past years.

Happy days

Nothing wrong with nostalgia providing it is for that part which was better than today.

Obs last sentence is why I posted - getting young people active. Healthy body, healthy mind.

Too much crime is associated with the "I'm bored" syndrome.

Young people's activities centres of various types could rejuvenate Bridge street. (day-time and evening) .

Happy days

They're "bored" cos they've never had to cultivate an imagination, computers and modern toys do it for them. :? As for "activities", not sure they'd go for anything too physically taxing. :? School PT. sports and adventure trips used to lay the groundwork for fitness; but now it'd take eons to organise with all that CRB and Elf and Safety audits! :wink:

I agree with Observers last comments but we have to find a road back unless we want to be a nation of fatties.

Every journey starts with the first step........

Politicians are not without blame. Sport is not encouraged enough in schools; sales of playing fields; paedo checks to excess, and the like.

Still would like to see signs in the town pointing to "the young peoples quarter"

Happy days

You have to get them when they're young H; and that's generally at school. :? We used to have Junior School swimming, Rugby and Boxing teams in Warrington. :shock: Only the few "ambitious" parents will spend time on cultivating a sporting talent in their kids, most parents are couch potatos themselves, so no encouragement from them! :roll: And as I said, we now have inertia created by CRB and Elf an S. :twisted:

As in a lot of other areas of life, P.C culture, HR, CRBs, H&S, and fear of litigation; have created total inertia in any form of social initiative or enterprise. :cry: Couple this with a culture of "watching" and cheering from the terraces or at the TV, rather than actually "playing"; the loss of school playing fields and the retreat to a world of virtual game playing for fear of peadophiles and yobs behind every street corner - and it may be no surprise that we cannot re-create the lost innocence and simple pleasures of the past. :cry:

Yes, you do have to start them at school as later on there are too many distractions.

The school themselves have a lot to blame imo. Earlier this year i went to see my niece at their school sports day. I couldn't believe what i was seeing....the teachers were encouraging the children NOT to win ... and trying to instill into them that it doesn't matter if you win or lose as its the taking part that counts.

They even had the same race restarted over and over so other children can win.

Bloody weirdos if you ask me.

• 2 months later...