Another defeat - but breathtaking game

Gary

I listened to commentary on 5 Live - with 20 mins to go injury hit saints had used all their fit interchanges while Wolves had only used 8 of the allowed 12 at that stage and think they still had two left at end. Surely the coach should have used his subs to far greater effect with the game still wide open - sounded like the diallowed try with 5 mins left was a border line forward pass decision and should have gone to the screen - my apologies if I have misinterpreted any of this and blame the commentators - can't think when I last listened to a full match radio game !!

I listened to commentary on 5 Live - with 20 mins to go injury hit saints had used all their fit interchanges while Wolves had only used 8 of the allowed 12 at that stage and think they still had two left at end. Surely the coach should have used his subs to far greater effect with the game still wide open - sounded like the diallowed try with 5 mins left was a border line forward pass decision and should have gone to the screen - my apologies if I have misinterpreted any of this and blame the commentators - can't think when I last listened to a full match radio game !!

You can't go to the screen for a forward pass. Removing my primrose and blue specs.......it was a forward pass and the decision was correct.

There were some pluses from last night...

Matt King had a better game, passed toPenny and Penny scored. Let's hope it's the start of a blossoming friendship!

The effort was there.

There were also some negatives...

Briers and Clarke, Warrington senior players, giving away stupid unnecessary penalties at key times.

Monaghan is starting to whinge as much as Briers. Just get on with the game and maybe your form will improve.

Must admit though, having watched them at Leigh last week, I was expecting a drubbing. I quite enjoyed the game - apart from the result!

The left side of the Wire attack is being made to look foolish in much the same way that it did in the days of the Kohe-Love/Wainwright days. The problem is in when moving the ball to the left there are no dummy runners or players receiving the ball on a diagonal run in the opposite direction to keep the defence guessing. This makes it easy for the opponents defence to keep sliding to their right and by the time the left centre receives the ball he is left with very little space in which to create anything. So. I would like you to ask Mr Cullen why the lack of this logical tactic. Always bearing in mind that I've never played or coached the game to the highest level and according to the coach know bugger all.

Big improvement last night compared to the Wakefield game but the bottom line remains the same..lost.

Gary - if my info on the interchanges situation - as given by 5 Live commentators - correct then please ask Paul why he didn't use all his options in the last twety minutes when Saints had only a fit 13 left on the park and one of them suffered a hand injury. The modern game can be fast and furious and when this happens, as it did Friday night, the skill of interchanging, particulatly forwards, can decide the result. OK for everyone to praise the effort but one win in 30 plus matches over 13 years is incredible and this one, at 22 - 14 was there for the taking but given away by throwing away possession , indisipline and poor use of subs - which combine to make the greatest of "effort" a waste of time.

It was an excellent game and a great overall performance. King looked alot better and Penny's finishing was sublime - hopefully they will take confidence from this performance and take it forward for the rest of the season.

That being said, this was a game that we should have won - we had the better chances, carved out the better tries, and for a couple of errors or stupid penalities would have won by a decent margin. Their interception try just before half time was unfortunate and could have easily resulted in a try under the sticks for us, which would have put a totally different complexion on the half-time score.

In the second half, Clarke's stupid penalty on the 5th tackle resulted in a try for them, Riley should have scored - all he had to do was catch the ball and King's forward pass for Penny's 4th all should have seen us home quite comfortably!

All in all, a great night's entertainment but once again we were our own worst enemy - when are we going to stop giving away silly penalties (Briers & Clarke) and start taking the chances our fine play creates to put teams away when they are there for the taking - that would be my question to PC.