Mystified

Stallard12

Might be sitting on a powder keg here.   How come I have so much trouble buying pants that fit?   Like most older guys, I appear to have a 38" waist while the rest of me is a 30 !   This apparently is unmatchable and I have to make choices - suffer a tight waist and underbelly sag, or comfortable waist with flapping legs and too long cuffs. 

Yet women, here comes the powder keg, come in a multitude of shapes  and sizes, some extreme in every direction, yet they have clothes that fit perfectly.  Their girth can be 'full', but the slacks still fit their skinny legs and are a perfect length.  Why must this be ?

I must confess that i have now gone back to 40 waist. My great belief is that no matter what waist trousers we buy ,they always seem to migrate to the hips. I once again buy 40 waist to be worn on the hips ,allowing my girth to wobble with gay abandon.

I have problems with jeans these days, mainly because i have a 32" leg and most jeans are either 31" or 33". This means that i have either a gap between my shoes and the bottom of my jeans or a crumpled mess. add to that a waist line that can vary from 34 to 38 during the course of a year and it gets to be real fun. worse when i sit down with the 31 leg jeans they end up looking like long shorts.

shirts are even worse. having quite long arms if i get a standard shirt that fits my neck then the cuffs end up nearer my elbows than my wrist.

And don't even mention underwear.( no matter what style they end up causing me grief, usually by working their way down as i walk, even cycle shorts) 🙈

Mrs sid has no problems with clothing despite having a 25" leg length.

Almost all shops in town have a different "Version" of what they assume are correct sizes!

It took me ages to work out but I've a theory that it's dependant on which country they were manufactured in.

I now only shop where changing rooms offer me the options that some stores don't.

Oh and I've just discovered the magic option of Braces !!! So a larger more comfy waist is my size of choice 

Image result for mens braces funny cartoons

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Here is a little trick I use when buying clothes.  It would appear that it is a little known fact amongst the aged but shops have things called changing rooms.  I take in a selection of garments I like the look of and,  get this, try them on for size, comfort etc.  If I am happy I buy them , if not I don’t.  You should try it, it’s all the rage and has been since the advent of the clothes shop.

• Haha 2

Me too Latchie, suspenders (braces) have set me free, I even wear them with my golf shorts.   I just had to get used to wearing my shirt outside of my pants so no one knows my secret.

However, the point of my post was "how come a woman can look like Humpty Dumpty, but can still buy perfectly fitting clothes off he rack", while men need a personal tailor to get clothes that fit.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, P J said:

Here is a little trick I use when buying clothes.  It would appear that it is a little known fact amongst the aged but shops have things called changing rooms.  I take in a selection of garments I like the look of and,  get this, try them on for size, comfort etc.  If I am happy I buy them , if not I don’t.  You should try it, it’s all the rage and has been since the advent of the clothes shop.

And so much better than online lottery.. hit and miss 🧐

11 hours ago, Stallard12 said:

However, the point of my post was "how come a woman can look like Humpty Dumpty, but can still buy perfectly fitting clothes off he rack", while men need a personal tailor to get clothes that fit. 

Simple, only need to look at how often men buy clothes compared to how often women buy clothes.( compare the size of the "men's" department to the "women's" department in any store)

Men will buy clothes when absolutely necessary, eg their clothes have gone past the old rag stage or have reached the fit where they touch stage.

A woman will buy clothes specially to go and buy new clothes in and some will even buy new clothes instead of washing the old clothes that she bought last week and only wore when tried on in the shop.

Knowing this manufacturers will cater to their biggest market, women and so make sure that every possible size and shape is catered for.

For the male market the diesel method usually applies. eg diesel do.🤭

"Now where did i put that tin hat" ⛑️🎩🎓🧢👒

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife may have just provided the answer to my question.   Apparently all mature womens' clothes are elastic !    Elastic waists, elastic butts and elastic hips, so they fit like cling wrap.   Even the jeans are elastic, just made to look like Levi's.   Maybe Dizzy can confirm this?