Teachers on strike yet again

Bazj

Actually on second thoughts , if it makes you feel better, so now will you let Baz answer.

I'm pretty sure Baz will give you a response in his own inimitable way when he sees your post but in the meantime you may wish to try the private message feature those ingenious software engineers built into this forum.  Its at the top right and looks like an open letter.  Its what you use when you want a private conversation.  If on the other hand you post into the debate on the "public" forum don't be surprised when or if you get a response.  You are just ticked off because I made you the butt of a joke.  Enjoy your day off on Thursday and cheer up it'll soon be conker season.  :wink:

Just out of interest Baz, do you have any kids in school?

I am guessing but I would put you well into your sixties so is your hatred of teachers because of a personal interest or simply down to your right wing views?

Good evening Robbo.... yes I do have a child at school. He is 12 (two days ago) and is getting a day off on the 27th as he is at Sankey High.... I mean the buggers finish their working day at 2:30 as it is so we probably won't notice anyway. My oldest son is 27 and is gainfully employed paying taxes to pay for the lefty teachers to disrupt the lives of hard working parents (8:30 til 5pm everyday with 21 days holiday)

I haven't hit 50 yet; although that milestone isn't too far away and used to belong to a union and went on strike on two occasions (but as an electrician working at Kelloggs at the time; the only disruption we caused when I managed to persuade the milk delivery to turn around and the Kelloggs canteen had no milk for the day)

I don't hate teachers at all; I had a lot of respect for my teachers because the taught us from a position of authority instead of trying to be our mates and calling us by our first names. My teachers were superior to me because they were adults. they called us all by our second names and took no excuses for poor work, late homework or lack of effort.... every day was a competition to be the best; to come top in every class and the teachers actively encouraged this instead of teaching from the bottom up as they do today and dragging down the clever kids.... we had remedial classes in the last years of the Grammar school where the thick kids were taught away from the masses so as not to slow down the cleverer kids. Everyone wasn't equal; we weren't all going to get to university to study dance and travel; but by god they made sure that if you tried they tried for you too...

Teachers of today are soft in comparison; they discourage competition and individuality..... my youngest sons primary school where he did 5 years only managed to hold two sports days during the whole time he was there. the others were cancelled because one year it rained; one year it looked like it was going to rain and the other year it was too hot. On the two he did attend there were no medals for the winners but everyone who took part got a prize for turning up and having a go.....

If teachers want to gain the publics support they need to go back to the times when achievers were rewarded for their achievements and encouraged to work harder and they need to accept that not everyone is on the same level as the least intelligent.

as for my right-wing views.... I believe in our country being free from the shackles of Europe and the nonsense and dogma it generates. I believe in capital and corporal punishment and a punishment that fits the crime and also that the workshy should not be rewarded with council houses and benefits that put them on a par with someone who grafts their guts out on minimum wage to support their families.... If you want to class that as being right wing; then I am proud to be right wing  

Baz, forgive me for being curious, but if you are not yet 50 where did you train for a 5 year apprenticeship? As I stated earlier 5 year apprenticeships were changed to 4 years in about 1970.which would make you about 7.

I did 4 years for my electrical apprenticeship and an additional 1 year to cover PLC and electronics... all of which are now out of date!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Baz being in his 60's,  PJ being Baz's dad or Sadako being both their mums... I don't know which is making me laugh the most :lol:  

Damn though, every time I have something to post about teachers/electricians/strikes/workload/etc something gets me side tracked and the moment is lost.  Probably a good thing though as quite a few times I have felt a HUGE  rant coming on about teachers (college ones in particular) but also heads, school governors and more......  silence is probably the best course of action as I'd probably say something that people close to me may regret. 

Baz, from what you say it seems you had a good education, so do you think that all the good teaching stopped once you left school?

You say that all teachers are left wingers who couldn't care less about the consequences of a strike and then point out that the majority didn't vote for one.

Have you ever thought that the state of education is more down to interfering government ministers (of all political persuasions)rather than teachers.

You seem to generalise because of 1 or 2 observations rather than a in depth understanding of teaching. A bit like saying all Liverpudlians are car thieves.

I would suggest that teachers are 'soft' in comparison because of the number of times interfering parents threaten to sue them compared to when you were in school.

A bit like saying all Liverpudlians are car thieves....... :wink: 

I would suggest that teachers are 'soft' in comparison because of the number of times interfering parents threaten to sue them compared to when you were in school.

Possibly so, but in that case it is down to the schools to back the teachers and lay down the law to parents surely? When my lad started at Sankey last year we had a list of do's and don'ts.... We follow those to the letter but if others do not and then choose to sue the school because of the parents/child breaking the rules then that isn't right and the school should make it known to other parents who these people are.

Just like a school having a uniform policy and dress code and then not enforcing it because little Johnny has his ear pierced and mum thinks it is his human right to have it done....

Just like a school having a uniform policy and dress code and then not enforcing it because little Johnny has his ear pierced and mum thinks it is his human right to have it done....

Exactly, and not a lot that teachers can do about it because it's the heads that set the policies and the heads that enforce them, and the government control the heads who are then told not to discipline pupils. The heads have been well rewarded under this and previous governments because it's the heads that carry out what the government wants.. 

They don't tend to do that. It makes their retention figures look bad and they will lose funding for that student.

What's funny is the fact that I agree with some of Baz's ideas on discipline but can't action them for the reasons that Wolfie outlines. You all might be interested to know that I'm just leaving work now. It's nearly 7pm......

...some places I have worked will not allow you to send a student out of the class. 'They' (management/ofsted) call it exclusion. I call it common sense. If a student will not behave and doesn't want to learn then get rid and let the good students have a chance of achieving.

I wont trail thru the last 7 pages of posts, but my point is that I think what grates with most people is that the position they are in isnt unique and certainly better than most workers.

Yes there are committed teachers, but at the same time, a look in the staff car park on a training day and seeing the same empty (when you have had to rearrange work / child care) does them no favours.

They need to appreciate that in the current climate a reduced pay rise is better than none (people I know havent had them for 5 years+), holiday leave is signifcanlty better than most (how many teachers work in between christmas and new year - i get bh's only and then unless I take leave do a normal days work) even accounting for working at times in them. Their pension is better than any comparable industry (ie. graduate professional) and salarys are not to be sneezed at (again comparable to other graduate professions).

Its not a race to the bottom as some allege, simply times are tight and belts need tightened/ value obtaining. If teachers thinks its better in the private sector, I welcome them to join us.

I taught in a school in Liverpool for 2 years, I packed in teaching and now work in a call centre in Runcorn. I doubt that anyone on this forum would swap the job they have now for that of a teacher if they had spent 1 week in that school as a trial. I was subject to abuse every day I was there. I attempted to teach kids who spent the whole day texting to their mates. I attended parents evenings from 7pm -9pm when only half a dozen parents would bother to turn up, but make any attempt to discipline their child and the parents would be round at the school the very next day threatening to report you to the authorities. Double the pay of a teacher and I still wouldn't go back I would sooner pack shelves in Tesco.

Unbelievable. You can only take my word for it but I happen to be telling the truth. Tomorrow will be the same. I finish teaching at 6.

Observer, that is the ultimate punishment :)

Sadako.... can I ask.... do you work 5 days a week and at least 8 hours everyday? are you still subject to the ridiculous holidays and benefits such as nice pension; early retirement options etc? have you had a pay rise in the past 4 years of any description?

Just wondering