Have you seen the moon tonight?

Cleopatra

It's a special moon tonight at it's nearest point to earth, and at it's largest and brightest, this year. I have seen it here and it is very bright tonight.:D

Can't see it yet Cleo, it's not dark yet!, also theres a big black cloud heading this way from Liverpool. :wink::D :grin:

I've just been outside to have a look and spotted it just behind some houses.

It's quite clear and bright and low as you say too with just a very slight covering of light cloud over part of it at the moment. (10.15pm)

It just looks like a low full moon though (well to my eyes anyway) Cleo.

I tried to take a photo of it for you so you could compare what we have to what you saw but it didn't come out, sorry.

I'm freezing cold now and I fell of the the bricks I stood on so that I could try and get more height to get a better shot and view over the houses. I didn't drop my camera though :lol::D No fear :wink:

Damn if I had it I would have had an excuse to buy a better camera for night shots though. I might go and have another go.....but don't tell my other half 8)

I had another look a few minutes ago and it was quite a lot higher than it was 40 minutes ago so no need for the bricks.

It was still bright and had a lovely whitish bright glow around it (about the same width as it's diameter if that makes any sense) and at the outer edge of it's 'glow' was an orange(ish) outline.

That went within about 3 minutes and it's now just a bright moon with a smaller light glow around it (about half the sze of it's diameter and no orange).

I just can't get a picture of it no matter what settings I try.

Where is PJ when you need him :(

No doubt I'll be back out in the cold in another 10 minutes for another nosey :lol:

It doesn't look particularly bigger than I've seen it before though Algy.

There were no clouds here so the moon could be seen very clearly, even it's contours were more marked and clearer than normally. It was as you say Dizzy with a wide, much wider than normal, bright glow around it, tinged with an orange light at it's outer edge. :)

By the light... of a silvery moon... I love to spoon... :lol:

I've just been outside to have a look and spotted it just behind some houses.

It's quite clear and bright and low as you say too with just a very slight covering of light cloud over part of it at the moment. (10.15pm)

Just noticed that the Warrington Worldwide clock needs winding up. It appears to be running slow. Time of posting said 9.01pm and you say (10.15pm) :huh:

Just noticed that the Warrington Worldwide clock needs winding up. It appears to be running slow. Time of posting said 9.01pm and you say (10.15pm) :huh:

No... my time of posting says 10.01 pm (not 9.01) so you must have your forum settings set wrong Cleo. Although I did state the time as being 10.15 pm I ran outside to check the moons state whilst still posting hence the minutes difference.... certainly not HOURS thoug as even I am not that slow :lol:

I'm posting this by pressing the button finally at approx 22.13 hrs by the way :lol:

Asp... Fob Off as what's a few minutes between friends :lol::P

Great pics Cleo but sadly nothing at like what I saw around here last night as it was no-where near that big or colourful.

Ahh well, kept me busy for a while :lol:

No... my time of posting says 10.01 pm (not 9.01) so you must have your forum settings set wrong Cleo. Although I did state the time as being 10.15 pm I ran outside to check the moons state whilst still posting hence the minutes difference.... certainly not HOURS thoug as even I am not that slow :lol:

I'm posting this by pressing the button finally at approx 22.13 hrs by the way :lol:

Asp... Fob Off as what's a few minutes between friends :lol::P

Now there's a thing! There is practically every capital city in the world listed in the time zone but NO CAIRO! :huh:

You just have to figure out which time zone Cairo fits into Cleo, then change your settings, save them, then look again and see what time it shows you in your settings and check against your watch.:lol:

Cairo is UTC/GMT +2 hours

Rather confusing but go to your profile and set your time zone to GMT +2 it might work although it will still be a few minutes out

Mines set to GMT +1 as if I set it to GMT (london etc) it's an hour slow

As you are 1 hour infront of us I recon you need to be +2 .... errm lost my thought process completely now :lol:

Later Cleo although I may be an hour earlier than you expect :blink:

Apparantly we are in the EET (Eastern European Time) zone. We are 2 hours ahead of UK. Mohamed Tantawi, after taking control of Egypt from Hosni Mubarak, decreed there will be no seasonal altering of the clocks. Anyway forum setting is now set to GMT+2hours.

Bloody hell you've got me looking at your posting times now :lol:

Dave yours shows as 12.03 to me too. You need to set your profile time zone too.

I'm posting this at 9.01 am (9.01 was the time I opened the reply box not the time I pressed 'post' as I's about to do that now at 9.02 am.

Just looked at the bottom of the page and it shows the time now as 10:13 am. my pc and my room clock shows the time now as 10.36 am. be interesting to see when i click post what time shows up.

shows up at 10:15 which is about 20 mins difference.