Geoffrey Settle

PC slow response Memory

3 posts in this topic

My PC is dead slow but I remember that you could check on how much memory you have left - all the usual maintenance stuff is running, defrag is done etc. Any clues?

You can use task manager to check how much memory you have. Also to check what is running in the background, such as software update programs. Check what level your anti virus is set at. to high a security level and it could be checking every file opened and monitoring every program used.

Look into what your update for windows is set at as well, if it is set to check for updates hourly then that will slow it down.

If you are confident that you know what you are looking at then using task manager and looking at what services are running you can usually stop several of them without having any ill effects. real schedule, java update, even printer software update. alternatively set the updater programs to only check once a week.

If possible check how much memory your anti virus soaks up. some of the programs for anti virus i have used in teh past have been really bad memory hogs.

and one last fairly obvious thing is not to have too many programs or windows open at one time.