EU does it again -

observer

Seems new EU rules will penalise airlines for delays and presumably force compensation for passengers. But, if the delays are caused by bad weather or volcanic dust - is it the fault od the airline, and could this force them to fly in unsafe conditions? Added to this, IF they start paying out compen, where will they get the money from - from the fares?

Thought the compensation was for over booked flights or cancelled flights due to lack of staff, but hay ho, don't let that ruin your blatant propaganda

I think it's a good idea, having been delayed and received nothing. It might help them treating their passengers like animals

Thought the compensation was for over booked flights or cancelled flights due to lack of staff, but hay ho, don't let that ruin your blatant propaganda

I think it's a good idea, having been delayed and received nothing. It might help them treating their passengers like animals

Head out of the sand time Kije......

"No-frills airline Ryanair broke EU law when it refused compensation to a passenger stranded by the 2010 volcanic ash cloud, according to a court ruling"

The EU rules all aspects of our lives no, or have you not noticed??

My wife was stuck in Australia by the ash cloud and Emirates were unable to bring her back so they paid for business class flights for her and her boss on British Airways... al be it a week or so later

Emirates could not handle the amount of people that had been stranded in Oz because of the ash cloud and were giving return flight dates of over a month after the all clear was given. This was not acceptable (due to hotels not being available as they were all booked up in Perth) so they offered to fly people with other airlines and pay for it so some companies did compensate passengers in some ways.... it was just that tight-arsed Ryan air that was contesting everything

Perhaps IF the volcano cloud was "an act of God"; the EU should pass a law making "God" liable for the compen?!

Any particular god?

Could be a bit tricky fighting that one in court. "So which particular god was it that caused the volcanic eruption" asks the lawyer "and have you any proof?"

Well I agree with the right to compensation

but at what level.... that is the big question. If like my wife, you got stuck in Australia and ended up having to stay in a otel for another two weeks and then pay again for a flight home as your original carrier couldn't take you for another 2 or three weeks, you would want full compensation for all expenses including food etc. What Ryanair wanted to give amounted to a few quid a night....

well it depends doesn't it... if you and me go on a Ryanair plane to say Madrid.

We are both going for a week but some natural disaster means we have to spend another week before we can be flown back.

While we are in Madrid, you stay in a Travel Lodge type hotel at £50 a night but I'm in a 5 star hotel at £500 a night... when the disaster happens, all the hotel rooms in Madrid are fully booked but we managed to keep our rooms for an extra week.... so when we put our claims in, why should Ryanair decide how much they give back? I had no choice where I stayed and it wasn't my fault I had to stay longer than I had bargained for....