What can you say?

observer

There was a news report about the Tory Chief Whip's use of the term "Pleb", the other night; and the news presenter refered to it as a "swear" word. Pleb is short for Plebian (Roman masses) so depending on the context appears perfectly reasonable. Now this is a news report from a TV channel that regularly screens films and drama, which (in their words) contain "strong" language, which actually means foul language! :roll:

...depending on the context...

Despite you saying that, I don't think you've really grasped the concept of what it means.

There's lots of words I'd like to use on here but there's those damned T&Cs (which I begrudgingly acknowledge help to maintain some kind of civility).

Is there something you'd like to say but feel that you can't because it would look like bad manners?

Silly r's! He's no longer here, he died centuries ago! :roll:

Do try to keep up dear! :huh:

"Plebeian" not of the ruling caste, or used as an abbreviation - "Pleb" a term used by the Romans to describe the common mass of people, working classes.

A more modern term would be "Prole" one of the Proletariat a Russian term for a member of the "Working Masses".

• Upvote 1

"Plebeian" not of the ruling caste, or used as an abbreviation - "Pleb" a term used by the Romans to describe the common mass of people, working classes.

A more modern term would be "Prole" one of the Proletariat a Russian term for a member of the "Working Masses".

I knew could rely on you for an answer Algy, me wise ould sage. :D

Think most of us knew that Alg; but full marks for educating Cleo! :wink:

Perhaps most were aware of the meaning, however everyone is not quite as knowledgeable as yourself obs, I include myself in that category, Cleo posed a sensible question, I answered it to the best of my ability and make no apologies for that!.