Did You Know?'

algy

Did you Know

Warrington had the honour of running the first stage coach in England. The Warrington Coach is spoken of by Matthew Henry in 1704. In 1757 it was announced that the Flying Stage Coach would set out every Monday and Thursday morning from the Bull Inn in Wood Street London and the Red Lion in Warrington during the summer season and arrive at these inns every Wednesday and Saturday evening. Two guineas was the fare and each passenger was allowed 14lbs of baggage. On an average between sixty and seventy stage coaches passed through the town daily so that the streets would be kept in a continual state of animation. In the first half of the eighteenth century horse races were held here, Newton being afterwards chosen as a more suitable place.

I wonder if like RyanAir they charged booking fees and excess baggage tariff's ?

• Upvote 1

Well I can't remember the stagecoaches (Safe's may :wink: ) But I do remember Sykes Coaches taking us to all the Wire away games from the same Lion Courtyard in the 50's/60's.Chocolate and cream livery if I remember correctly.

Sykes, weren't they on Chester Rd opposite the river.

Interesting stuff Algy re the stagecoach.

I found this on google images... then it took me 20 mins to find the link to where I found it :oops::lol:

You might find it interesting though

coachwarr.jpg

from here it seems.... but you might have to click on the headers to read more

http://www.mersey-gateway.org/server.php?show=ConNarrative.126&outputRegister=lowhtml

Interesting stuff Algy re the stagecoach.

I found this on google images... then it took me 20 mins to find the link to where I found it :oops::lol:

You might find it interesting though

coachwarr.jpg

from here it seems.... but you might have to click on the headers to read more

http://www.mersey-gateway.org/server.php?show=ConNarrative.126&outputRegister=lowhtml

Good stuff Dizz, not come across that one before,