where was Back Atherton Street;Warrington?

Bazj

Does anyone know? My Great Grandma lived there up until her death in 1941

Sorry Baz, I have had a good search but not arrived at anything definite, there are references to an Atherton Street and I think it may have been in the Bank Quay area probably around Athertons Quay so you may conclude that Back Atherton Street was behind Atherton Street. :unsure:

Most of my relatives on my mums side (The Woodey family) lived in and around Bewsey. When my great Grandma died in 1941 they (the woodeys) lived in Back Atherton Street. Two years later, my great Grandad died and he is listed as living in Pierpoint Street off Bewsey Road (Not a street as such any more, but there is still a sign - and it is opposite my unit on Bewsey Road)

After that we have Woodeys living in Catherine Street and finally when my Grandma married Grandad they moved to my house in Trafford Avenue after grandad came back from France after WW1. Mum lived there for 85 years until she died in January.

I think Traceys post (Thanks Tracey) shows that Back Atherton Street was probably around where the Sankey Way is now and in fact that "Stopping up" order could well have something to do with the construction of Sankey Way perhaps?

Most of my relatives on my mums side (The Woodey family) lived in and around Bewsey. When my great Grandma died in 1941 they (the woodeys) lived in Back Atherton Street. Two years later, my great Grandad died and he is listed as living in Pierpoint Street off Bewsey Road (Not a street as such any more, but there is still a sign - and it is opposite my unit on Bewsey Road)

After that we have Woodeys living in Catherine Street and finally when my Grandma married Grandad they moved to my house in Trafford Avenue after grandad came back from France after WW1. Mum lived there for 85 years until she died in January.

I think Traceys post (Thanks Tracey) shows that Back Atherton Street was probably around where the Sankey Way is now and in fact that "Stopping up" order could well have something to do with the construction of Sankey Way perhaps?

1907 map

Atherton Street was off Thewlis street, Bank quay.

marked with a small red 'X'

1907.jpg

Me neither.

Cheers Arty there's some great aerial photos on there and I just downloaded all 22 of them.

Quite a few are from around my way great to see the old Warrington Dock and old river/canal from above.

See they only photographed the posh bits of town back then..... none of Bewsey I notice....

Howley and Latchford posh Baz, Hmmmm! :unsure:

and before anyone starts I'm a Latchford lad and proud of it, anyway in the 1920's there wasn't much in Bewsey other than fields.

Bewsey council estate was built in the 1920's Algy.... maybe not by 1920, but my mum was born in Catherine Street in 1922 and she lived on the council estate for 85 years from about the age of 4

Fair comment Baz, I stand corrected!. :oops:

Wow... those pictures brought back some memories. I had almost forgotten what Warrington used to look like in my younger days. Especially Cockhedge Mill. I can see them now, the women just finished for the day and going home, everyone of them covered from head to foot in bits of cotton. What a daily task that must have been for them removing it all. One of our neighbours lost an arm in an accident at the cotton mill. There would have been others who had similar accidents and some even killed. Must have been a trechearous place to work.

I remember the abbatoir in Mersey Street (but never seen any photos of it)

and the herds of cows being driven there via Battersby Lane. Came home from school one day and found that such a herd was being taken to the abbatoir and the herders lost control of the them. They stampeded through the backs of the houses and did quite a bit of damage. our back wall and gate was demolished and momma told me that several cows entered the yard, one came right upto the house and stood looking through the window. That must have been something of a scarey moment.

• Upvote 1

I presume this is the same H Wells who I know. It may interest some to know that he is also an extremely accomplished songwriter/singer and has written some lovely songs about life in Warrington.

Just checked and it is the same man.

Dave, are the songs available in the public domain?.

He has some on YouTube,

is my favourite, what with it being about the Leigh Flatmen!

I love his photos, they record Warrington as it was when I was a child. It also seems more heartbreaking that he's captured a lot of the historic buildings that were still around in the 80's. It seems incredible they survived so long but were flattened so recently, I always imagine the attitude of town planners in general had moved towards preservation by that time, but apparently not in Warrington. :(

Dave, are the songs available in the public domain?.

They are sung (by Harry and others) on Sunday nights at the Ring O' Bells on Church Street, but I will ask him about recording some and putting them on YouTube when I get the chance. Another excellent local writer is Geoff Clough, known to many older locals as he is a superb podiatrist as well. Songs about Sixpenny Cut and Walking Day among his best.

Y think both of them have a few already on there, but can't check at the moment as I am at work and all sites with visuals are blocked.