Hosni Muberak

From one dictatorship to another.....

Mubarek who looked after himself and his cronies for decades will be replaced by either a) another dictatorship of the same type which will tell everyone how to live their lives or B) a muslim dictatorship which will tell everyone how to live their lives

same old same old

I to hope you are right Cleo, I disagree with Asp about the Uk not being a democracy, Probably like Asp, I do not like our current regime, but because we live in a democracy I will wait and vote accordingly next election. That's the problem with democracy's their will always be a proportion of the population that end up with a government they don't like, the trick is not to turn to violence if you don't like who's in, I really hope your country is successful in its change :wink:

I fear Cleo, you are wrong about muslim dictatorships.... every country where Islam is the predominant religion is under the grip of their 10th century values of male dominance and brutal laws....

The last time I was in Egypt there were only 2 women that we saw working: one in the airport and one in the Hard Rock Cafe in sharm..... room cleaners were all men, bar staff, Policemen, taxi drivers.... even in the hotel, there were NO women workers and this was in a touristy area where you would expect to have tens of thousands of foreign female visitors

It felt totally alien and total uncomfortable to be honest and totally at odds with what we are brought up to expect in the UK

When I say we don't have a democracy in Britain I mean that we have a democratic dictatorship. I.E. the leader of the party with the greatest support at the election becomes a dictator for a period of 5 years until another one is elected instead. The electorate doesn't really have any way of opposing any policy the dictator wants to impose during his term. This is undemocratic in that it isn't rule by the people by any stretch of the imagination. And now that most of the law making is handed down to us by the unelected PTB in Brussels all our home grown dictator has left is pettifogging legislation about our lifestyles :evil: :evil: :evil:

Any democracy the party would be in power for a set time, I don't know any democracy where everything the government do has to be put to the people within that time, you vote for them and they do things in your name, how else could it work, they could not possibly ask the people everything the legislated, all though with this lot it would be nice :wink:

I fear Cleo, you are wrong about muslim dictatorships.... every country where Islam is the predominant religion is under the grip of their 10th century values of male dominance and brutal laws....

The last time I was in Egypt there were only 2 women that we saw working: one in the airport and one in the Hard Rock Cafe in sharm..... room cleaners were all men, bar staff, Policemen, taxi drivers.... even in the hotel, there were NO women workers and this was in a touristy area where you would expect to have tens of thousands of foreign female visitors

It felt totally alien and total uncomfortable to be honest and totally at odds with what we are brought up to expect in the UK

Well all I can say to you is that there are many female workers in Egypt. You may not have seen them but it doesnt mean they are not there.

A lot of women work in shops - I know they do because I have seen them - and they work in supermarkets, from shelf stacking to checkout tills - I know they do because I have seen them. In the British Consulate and embassies and in the Egyptian passports and immigration offices - I know they do because I have seen them. There are a few women working on the customs checkpoints in Cairo Airport - I know there are because I have seen them and one of the buggers once took some packets of juice from my bag, saying they were not permitted even though I was previously able to take some through, no problem. There are women working behind the scenes in offices. There are women working as solicitors or solicitors' secretaries - I know there are because I have seen them. There are women working as doctors and nurses or hospital receptionists - I know they do because I have seen them. There are women working as dental assistants - I know they do because I have seen them. There are many women working in the media, tv and newspapers - I know they do because I have seen them. There are women working in a friend's textile factory - I know they do because I have seen them. There were women working in my husband's business - I know they did because I saw them. I could go on but I thnk I have already stated enough examples of women in employment.

Cleo....

there were NO women working in the hotel reception.... I know because I didn't see them.

there were NO women working in the Airport.... I know because I didn't see them.

there were NO women working in the bars around Sharm el Sheikh.... I know because I didn't see them.

there were NO women driving taxis around Sharm el Sheikh.... I know because I didn't see them.

there were NO women working in the bars around Sharm el Sheikh.... I know because I didn't see them.

there were NO women working in the hotel bar.... I know because I didn't see them.

there were NO women working in the hotel restaraunt.... I know because I didn't see them.

I could go on, but I have already stated enough examples of places where women don't work in a country dominated by men and religion

'Now you see me, now you don't

First you do but then you won't

Watch me vanish right before your eyes

You might think you see me there

In a cafe on a street somewhere

Yeah, that might be me but I'll be gone

Now you see me, now you don't' :wink:

Unfortunately, secular Dictatorships have provided (until now), a degree of stability in an unstable area of the world. We can see from Libya and Syria the results of freedom and democracy = sectarian civil war. :( :(

You omitted The Birth of the Arab Spring, Tunisia. Reports from there say that what were Western norms are already coming under pressure from Islam. This is puttin pressure on the tourist industry.

Sorry Boris; a similar position applies throughout the M/East and wider afield; peoples, with no culture of secular democracy, have suddenly sprung into action to demand freedom, and released anarchy; reverting to sectarian or tribal origins . It rather makes the N/Ireland "troubles" appear a normal condition of humanity. :(

Cleo....

there were NO women working in the hotel reception.... I know because I didn't see them.

there were NO women working in the Airport.... I know because I didn't see them.

there were NO women driving taxis around Sharm el Sheikh.... I know because I didn't see them.

there were NO women working in the hotel bar.... I know because I didn't see them.

there were NO women working in the hotel restaraunt.... I know because I didn't see them.

I could go on, but I have already stated enough examples of places where women don't work in a country dominated by men and religion

I don't care what you didn't see in a 14 day visit. I live here and see, every day, women in employment.

You will be saying next that girls do not get an education and that women have to walk 5 steps behind their husbands.

You will be saying next that girls do not get an education and that women have to walk 5 steps behind their husbands.

When I was in Egypt, the men use to walk 10 paces behind their wives...........

but I think that was because of the danger of land mines. :wink:

• Upvote 1

Cleo....

Probably best we don't go there until they do.. can't have it both ways

I don't care what you didn't see in a 14 day visit. I live here and see, every day, women in employment.

maybe All the women had gone on holidays abroad with their girlfriends like western women do thus leaving the men at home to do all the work then for the time I was there!! :D