Street Names

Scotty101

Is there a directory or list of old street names of Warrington anywhere. I have relatives living in houes in streets that do not appear to exist anymore. Or is there a way of searching old maps?

To give you an idea of streets that either do not exist or have been renamed all in Warrington frm various census.

1881 census - Chester Street

1891 census - Chorley Street (In the A-Z, for Chorley street it has chester Street in brackets)

1891 census - Wood Court, Church Street

1901 census - Stevenson Street

1911 census - Hamilton Street

Scotty, perhaps you should tell your relatives that their houses don't exist, or are they ghosts? :lol:

Give me some names of relatives who lived in Stevenson Street and Hamilton Street.

Stevenson Street was the first street off Hamilton Street, on the left side. :)

For maps, Dizzy and Algy are your best bet but at the moment Algy is on a forced holiday. :wink:

You could try Slater's online Directory of Warrington. Has all the old streets and residents names.

Cleopatra, I would tell my relatives their house is no longer there, when I can find where they are, that is my next task in the family tree! Cemetary search !

The area off Battersby lane was once well built up as I beleive Birchall Street was on there as well. (Another relation from there also)

Names of relatives in Hamilton Street 1891 and 1901 Cann family at No 7, and in Stevenson Street 1901 - Hargreaves at 19. (Or did you want a list of the people living in the street at that time?)

I will try Slaters and can find them on old maps now I have an idea where they are.

Thanks

Birchall Street ran back to back with Hamilton Street and across the top end of Hamilton Street.

Really I was thinking of people in my time. Had a senior moment and forgot you were talking an earlier time but, if I remember correctly there was a Hargreaves living in Stevenson Street in my time. :oops::D

The area would have been flattened around 1968/70.

Don't recognise any of those names but in those days kids would know and refer to adults as mr or mrs whoever, not being as familiar as they are today. I do recall a Margaret who was just a few years older than myself and she had a sister younger than her but dammit I cannot recall her name.

Thanks Baz, already found a few on there which has led to a walk round the cemetary.

Cleo, Thats why I dont recall the houses being there "Just" before I was born.

I have a lead on a Margaret Hargreaves that I am following up, so would be interesting to see if its the same one, born in the early / mid 1940's, she also had a number of sisters.

No time sorry but for starters

1891 census

The census enumerator walked the following route in order (as partr of the ward of St Johns, Parish of St Peters, Admin County Lancaster)

Birchall Street, Chorley Street, Hardy Street, Chester Street, Vere? Street, Norman Street, Lythgoes Lane ......

So 'Chester Street' and 'Chorley Street' would have been over near the area of our current day Orford Lane, Norman Street and Lythgoes Lane (see google maps for those).

I'll look for the others tomorrow if you haven't already found them.

Thanks Baz, already found a few on there which has led to a walk round the cemetary.

Cleo, Thats why I dont recall the houses being there "Just" before I was born.

I have a lead on a Margaret Hargreaves that I am following up, so would be interesting to see if its the same one, born in the early / mid 1940's, she also had a number of sisters.

Seems like it could be her. :wink:

No time sorry but for starters

1891 census

The census enumerator walked the following route in order (as partr of the ward of St Johns, Parish of St Peters, Admin County Lancaster)

Birchall Street, Chorley Street, Hardy Street, Chester Street, Vere? Street, Norman Street, Lythgoes Lane ......

So 'Chester Street' and 'Chorley Street' would have been over near the area of our current day Orford Lane, Norman Street and Lythgoes Lane (see google maps for those).

I'll look for the others tomorrow if you haven't already found them.

Vera Street. Chorley street was off Birchall Street or in that area around the corner from Birchall street.

As I have said before, there is an old map in the Ring O' Bells on Church Street. We used to have frequent visitors who came in just to look up old streets. Off the top of my head, I think it dated from about 1930's.

We also managed to acquire a 1890's OS map, but it wasn't large enough to have framed and displayed, so I still have that one.