RL club's finances

safeway60

Only four clubs are in profit(the Wire being one of them) but figures published today show that most of the other club's debts are manageable. What is alarming though is the debt London Broncos are in...They had a massive TWO AND A HALF MILLIONS loss last season..The question which should be answered is just how this debt is to be cleared.If the RFL are underwriting this massive debt the other clubs should make it clear that no monies belonging to the rest of the clubs should be used...It's now time to pull the plug on this London fiasco..they should have to go into liquidation just as other non-sporting businesses have to and shut up shop.

Manageable debt is what can be afforded from future revenue...On crowds of around 2000 Broncos have no chance of clearing debt from their own resources. There has been enough money lost in many attempts at expansionism in the south east and south Wales....All have failed but Broncos just keep going on and on. Why are they the exception ? It remains a mystery. Bradford almost went bust a couple of weeks ago and would have gone to the wall if they hadn't passed the BIG hat around.

Manageable debt is what can be afforded from future revenue...On crowds of around 2000 Broncos have no chance of clearing debt from their own resources. There has been enough money lost in many attempts at expansionism in the south east and south Wales....All have failed but Broncos just keep going on and on. Why are they the exception ? It remains a mystery. Bradford almost went bust a couple of weeks ago and would have gone to the wall if they hadn't passed the BIG hat around.

Safeway. The London debt is covered by their owner David Hughes. Where did you get the figures from?

I think you'll find that as a ratio of debt to income no company or sporting club is in the kind of trouble that Broncos are in.They are a financial basketcase and should be closed down unless of course they simply close down one Friday afternoon and open up under another name on Monday...They've done it before so why not again ?

I think you'll find that as a ratio of debt to income no company or sporting club is in the kind of trouble that Broncos are in.They are a financial basketcase and should be closed down unless of course they simply close down one Friday afternoon and open up under another name on Monday...They've done it before so why not again ?

The RL stood by and watched Bradford go cap in hand to all and sundry; if that had not worked another famous traditional team would have been consigned to the history books.

Why oh why have London been carried for so many years is beyond comprehension.

And the old argument that sky insist on a southern side seems really to have run out of steam.

In years to come when the daft idea of a London team has faded away people will be amazed how foolish we were to pour our millions into such a dead duck. icon_redface.gif

A rugby club is a business, just like any other business, and should stand and fall on it's financial success. I run my own business and it's been really tough the last 2/3yrs but I don't have anyone to bail me out, and the same should be the case with Rugby clubs.

I can't believe that Bradford find themselves in such a mess, and although they've managed to raise the initial £500K to keep them afloat, I wonder what their Business Plan looks like moving forward and whether or not they still have a sustainable business model?

Looking at the figures, Saints made a loss last year in excess of £1.25M and that must be very worrying also, but they haven't hit the headlines with their finances - I wonder if it was a major one off cost re: their new ground.

Only 4 clubs made a profit, and no business can carry on year after year making losses, and I just hope that they all have plans in place to reverese their financial fortunes.

Unfortunatley, it does demonstrate that each club relies very heavily on revenue from Sky to keep them afloat......

Saints figures for last year were a one-off due to playing their homes games at Widnes....Fewer than half of their regular speccies could be bothered to travel.

yes --and if they dont start winning there will be a few more who wont be travelling...me for one.