2. Sankey Street Area & the Town Hall.

algy

c1904. Sankey Street with Dixon Street to the right.

c1904SankeySttoDixonSt.jpg

1906. 6th July. King Edward VII visiting the Town hall.

19096thJulyWarringtonTownHallKingEdwardVIvisit.jpg

1909. A Guard of Honour outside the Guardian Offices in Sankey Street in honour of the King's visit.

1909SankeyStreettheGuardianOffices.jpg

King Edward VII in his Limousine by the Town Hall steps.

1909WarringtonTownHallthevisitofKingEdwardVI.jpg

1919. 9th May. Council Dignitaries issueing the Proclomation of George V as King.

19106thMayTheProclamationofGeorgeVasKing.jpg

1920. Sankey Street looking towards Market gate.

1920SankeyStreet.jpg

1927. Sankey Street between Golbourne Street and Legh Street.

1927SankeystbetweenGolbournestLeghst.jpg

The Picturedrome (right) soon to become the Cameo in Sankey Street.

PicturedromeCameoinSankeyStreet.jpg

Sankey Street showing it was a street with character.

SankeyStlookingtowardMarketGate.jpg

Sankey Street with Corporation Street behind the Policeman on the right.

WarringtonSankeyStreetCorporationStreetontheright.jpg

Point of interest regarding photo 7., the advertisement for the 'Futurist' on the side wall of the building, as I had never heard of that name relating to Warrington I have googled 'Futurist' cinema, Warrington, here is the result:-

From the website - Cinema Treasures.

Located next to the Prince of Wales hotel, the Theatre Royal was opened on 21st December 1818. It was in use as a Mechanics Institute from 1836 to 1846.

In 1872 it was re-named Price of Wales Theatre and was enlarged in 1883. Around 1900, it became the Royal Theatre of Varieties, and Charlie Chaplin appeared on the stage. The proscenium was 18 feet wide, and on top of it were statues of two male figures. The front of the circle was decorated with plaster cherubs.

On 3rd January 1921, it was opened as the Futurist Cinema, the projection box and managers office were located in the adjacent Prince of Wales Hotel.

In late-1939, it was taken of by the Southan Morris chain and became part of their S.M. Super Cinemas chain, and re-named Regent Cinema. It was closed suddenly on 28th September 1958.

The building was converted into the Tudor Bingo Club, which remained open until the late-1980’s. Later demolished, the site today is used for car parking, but a fraction of the left hand side of the facade remains attached to the Prince of Wales Hotel.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Here is another Warrington Cinema from the same site that I was not aware of, situated on Sankey Street by the corner with Leigh Street, the building can be seen clearly on photo 9.:

'The Central Picture Palace'.

CentralCinema.jpg

Originally built as a hall for the Victorian Conservative Club. By July 1913 it was operating as the Central Picture Palace. It was closed in around 1915 or 1916 due to conditions in World War I.

It became a dance hall, known at one time as the Rendezvous. It was closed and demolished in the 1960’s. In recent years Jenric’s Chinese Restaurant has operated out of the former entrance to the building.

:lol::lol::lol:

Blinking heck Algy! Were you stood behind that tree waiting for a post? That was a rapid reply!

Is the worldwide clock still running behind time? :unsure:

No flies on me Treasure, granted you can see where they've been though! :wink::D :grin: :D

That's fascinating Algy, hence the pub being called The Theatre Tavern I guess? Back when it was the Newsroom I spent far too much time stood on the pavement outside amongst the motorbikes. Occasionally I did wonder what the bit of ornate stone work was, and now I know!

Really interesting about the Central Picture Palace too. I haven't been into that part of town for the best part of a decade, is it still standing?

Interesting stuff about the cinemas etc Algy and I've never noticed the ornate stonework at the tops of those buildings before :oops::D

Bennetts cake works had a social club (Bennet's Club?)at the rear of the Rendezvous cafe. You had to walk through the cafe to enter the club. (info curtosy of some of Algy's/Baz'z and Harry's past posts).

Any relation to you Tracey :lol::lol:

Not that I know of Dizzy but the way my tree's gone that doesn't mean they're not!

Tracey are you related to a Bennett's family (not the cake factory, my wife worked there from leaving school to having our son 1955 - 1963) and her mothers family were Bennett's originating from Dorset.

Aso Dizz mentioned Bennett's club with my wife working there we used to go there dancing on a Saturday night.

There's also Bennett's rec isn't there? No idea where that comes from though I guess Arthur Bennett lived in that area, maybe it's named after him.

I don't think the Dorset Bennetts would be related to me Algy, my Bennetts are firmly rooted around Walton/Grappenhall/Thelwall back to my 7x Great Grandfather born in 1733.

:lol::lol: Love it Algy :lol:

Re Cleo's question about Gordon Bennett though.... he was actually the husband of my other half's dads sister :wink:

How come I didn't remember that whenever I saw your 'Bennett' post's Tracey. DURH !!

Blimey you may be sort of related to my other half's family via HIS DADS's side as well as having Alderman Arthur Bennett from MY MUMS side in your family tree. (not that I have managed to specifically locate his position and line in mums side of the tree as being my grandads cousin as he clearly was according to mum. I got totally frustrated in the end and got a strop on out of frustration... must try again )

Errrm sudden worry though... are my family and my other half's family actually related somehow :shock:

Anyway..... Tracey, Bennets Rec was named after Alderman Arthur Bennet as he apparently dontated the land. I've found it somewhere recently but can't remember anymore about it off the top of my head.

Algy... I wonder if your wife knew Baz's grandma and/or mum as one of his posts a while ago on a similar topic said that they both worked in the Rendezvous Cafe which you had to walk through to get to the club. One of them was the manageress and he uploaded a pic of them both in the cafe too. Type 'rendevous' into the forum search and you will find all the posts about it)

Gosh I hope some of that made sense as I'm struggling to keep up this week and to stay sane so am typing very fast and on a sort of forced 'high' :lol: ... manic Dizzy week ... Sorry :lol::oops::lol:

:lol::lol: Love it Algy :lol:

Re Cleo's question about Gordon Bennett though.... he was actually the husband of my other half's dads sister :wink:

How come I didn't remember that whenever I saw your 'Bennett' post's Tracey. DURH !!

Blimey you may be sort of related to my other half's family via HIS DADS's side as well as having Alderman Arthur Bennett from MY MUMS side in your family tree. (not that I have managed to specifically locate his position and line in mums side of the tree as being my grandads cousin as he clearly was according to mum. I got totally frustrated in the end and got a strop on out of frustration... must try again )

Errrm sudden worry though... are my family and my other half's family actually related somehow :shock:

Anyway..... Tracey, Bennets Rec was named after Alderman Arthur Bennet as he apparently dontated the land. I've found it somewhere recently but can't remember anymore about it off the top of my head.

Algy... I wonder if your wife knew Baz's grandma and/or mum as one of his posts a while ago on a similar topic said that they both worked in the Rendezvous Cafe which you had to walk through to get to the club. One of them was the manageress and he uploaded a pic of them both in the cafe too. Type 'rendevous' into the forum search and you will find all the posts about it)

Gosh I hope some of that made sense as I'm struggling to keep up this week and to stay sane so am typing very fast and on a sort of forced 'high' :lol: ... manic Dizzy week ... Sorry :lol::oops::lol:

Dizzy, I think I linked to this before but this site has a pretty comprehensive Bennett family history (apart from my 5x great grandfather but I'm working on it!) which may help. If it makes you feel any better I've uncovered one previous link of my Mum's side of the family marrying my Dad's side of the family almost 200 years ago. Plus the 'original' families on both sides lived almost cheek by jowl in Cheshire so I'm sure there must be other liasons along the way. It's almost serendipitous I ended up in Norfolk .....