The Last of Latchford & Knutsford Road.

algy

tram standing at the Latchford Terminus.

Latchfordtramterminus.jpg

Titled "Ackers Pit Latchford" which it would have been before the Manchester Ship Canal was built.

LatchfordAckersPit.jpg

Manor Lock on the 'Black Bear Canal'.

Latchford1900sManorLockontheBlackBearOldQuayCanal.jpg

Platt's boat house near the Latchford/Howley suspension bridge, trade appears to be thriving judging by the queue to the left of the picture.

PlattsboathousenearHowleysuspensionbridge001.jpg

Sunnyside Cottage in Latchford Square with Sunnyside Villas on the left.

SunnysideCottageLatchfordSquareSunnysideVillasontheleft.jpg

Waiting to cross Knutsford Road in Latchford, perhaps a tram is on it's way.

WaitingtocrossKnutsfordroadinLatchfordperhapsatramisonitsway.jpg

c1930. Victoria Park, when the gardens were well tended and looked after.

LancashireWarringtonVictoriaPark1930s.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

Algy re the same pic where you say "Latchford/Howley suspension bridge" I guess you mean the white one that goes over the Mersey from near to what was the Old Warps at Victoria Park over towards Parr Street, Howley.

If so we walked over that today and it scared the life out of me and our dog. It bounces and moves :shock: . Now I remember why I hated going over it as a kiddie. Clearly some fears remain deep set for life :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Algy re the same pic where you say "Latchford/Howley suspension bridge" I guess you mean the white one that goes over the Mersey from near to what was the Old Warps at Victoria Park over towards Parr Street, Howley.

If so we walked over that today and it scared the life out of me and our dog. It bounces and moves :shock: . Now I remember why I hated going over it as a kiddie. Clearly some fears remain deep set for life :lol:

A gentle sway lass, a gentle sway. Try it when it's icy.

It was not a gentle sway Peter it definately started to bounced up and down. My other half said that was cos we were walking in time with each other so I made him stop while I made a rather swift run for the safety of solid ground :oops::lol:

At least I didn't look as daft as the dog as she did a face plant and hit the deck with her legs out. :blink:

All our children, and all the ones wwe have looked after over the years, loved walking across that bridge - it was the highlight of the walks we always took them on. On the other hand, some parents always said, "Couldn't you have driven there?" How times change, not always for the better as those grown-up kids would now agree.

....forgot to ask Algy but what makes you think that the Ackers Pit photo was BEFORE the building of the Manchester Ship Canal ?

Dizz, these two maps show approximately the spot where the photo was taken from (marked with a red 'X'), the first map 1875 is before the canal so consequently the Cantilever bridge and run up road did not exist,

The second map shows the canal and Cantilever bridge run up road which you would have seen behind the house in the photo!.

1875.jpg

1896.jpg