Not their fault!

observer

I had no idea that half a million poor folk took part in the riots Obs, it sounds like they did when you read your post!

they didn't..... but the report reckons that there are half a million people that need help. Around 15,000 were thought to have taken part according to their figures.

The report highlighted the fact that many of the rioters jumped on the bandwagon because they didn't have enough character to make the choice to keep out of it. Now they are suggesting that schools should be teaching character, but the bad parents will continue to be apathetic and oppose any worthwhile measures. Character should be developed in school, but if the building blocks of right and wrong, respect and manners are not taught at home in the first 5 years of life, the schools, as always, have an impossible task.

Agree SL, but the Gov is to blame in a way; but not imo in the way the report suggests. EG: Parental control: Any attempt by a parent to maintain dicipline/control of a child, has been undermined by State and Luvvy interventions like no smacking and child line. Similarly no dicipline is maintained at schools, and any attempt to instill "character" with body contact sports or school adventure trips, has been undermined by Health & Safety and the fear of litigation. Thus we have a generation with "rights" but no responsibilities - so as the saying goes - you reap what you sow. :( :( :(

I agree with a lot of what you mention, Observer, but I come into contact with quite a few teenagers in my work who have been brought up well and I have to say they are the ones with strong family relationships, parents who have a work ethic and have given their children a good start in life. They don't have much money, but do have principles and standards, so clearly, it isn't a whole generation involved, just those who may have been inherently lazy, got caught in the welfare trap and chose that way of life as an easy option, or alternatively those who value material things over valuable time spent with their children, and left them to be brought up by childminders, nurseries and teachers.

We have to re-evaluate what is important, bringing up our children to appreciate family rather than money and posessions, or pushing people back into work too soon after having children for what purpose?

Agree SL, sorry if I give the impression of lumping in ALL one generation, when clearly the main problem lies with the (Jeremy Kyle) underclass.; where second and third generations have never worked and have no work ethic, had no motivation to be educated - basically as portrayed in "Shameless". Frankly imo, the only cure is to break the cycle of ignorance by seperating the kids from the parents and educating them at some form of boarding schools (like the middle class used to do) - but no doubt such a drastic option would result in appeals to the ECHR! :wink:

I would advocate state sponsored internment camps for the feckless wasters who don't want to work. No fags, No booze and no plasma TV's.... they can then be used as forced labour to build things like the new Hadrians wall and such like.... maybe even one between us and speedcameraland would be good too! :D