2. Bridge Foot - Old Photos.

algy

Not a very attractive scene of the 'Victoria Bridge' taken from upstream (East).

1900DredgingtheMerseybelowtheVictoriaBridge.jpg

1900. Dredging down stream of the Victoria Bridge.

1900DredgingdownstreamoftheVictoriaBridge.jpg

An improvement and bit more interesting, Liptons, Grocers shop (Bridge Street) advertised on the rear side of the tram and oxo on the hoarding.

1901TrampassingovertheVictoriabridgenarrowKnutsfordRdtotheright.jpg

Junction of Knutsford Road and Wilderspool Road looking towards the railway crossings with the side wall of the 'Bridge Inn' on the right.

BridgeFootlookingtoWilderspool.jpg

Preparatory work for the building of the new bridge.

1912ConstructingthenewbridgealongsidetheoldVictoriaBridge.jpg

1912. Making piles in a Mersey Street work yard for the new bridge

1912MakingpilesinaMerseyStreetworkyardforthenewbridge.jpg

1912. Building Warrington new bridge.

1912BuildingWarringtonnewbridge.jpg

1913. June, The first half of the bridge nearing completion. Note the lovely condition and position of the old Academy building.

1913JuneThefirsthalfofthebridgenearingcompletion.jpg

View from downstream of the 'New Bridge' construction.

1913Anewsinglearchbridgebeingbuilt.jpg

A new 'shiny' bridge for Warrington. One of the worlds first pre-stressed concrete bridges.

The bridge currently crossing the River Mersey at Bridgefoot was constructed in 1915 replacing the Victorian Bridge built in 1837. One of the capstones from the Victoria bridge can still be seen near to the traffic lights opposite The Academy building. The other remaining capstone sits in the grounds of the Paddington House Hotel.

1913TheNewBridge.jpg

Thanks for sharing, Algy.

Your welcome Peter, I know most members have seen them before but I'm sure some of the newer members will find them of interest, if you take your time and examine the detail on some of the photos it's surprising just what information is revealed about the area.

Great pictures Algy and there are some that I don't remember seeing before. As for the few I do remember it's lovely to see them again and like you say the more you see them or look at them the more you notice.

On the 8th picture (1913. June, The first half of the bridge nearing completion. Note the lovely condition and position of the old Academy building ) what was the large 4 storey building behind (and just to the right) of the old academy, any idea?

I just noticed too that the orientation of the old academy building is different to how I thought so thanks for the reminder. For some reason my mind said its front used to face the river rather than than the apex side facing it as shown in your picture. I guess the new extension on it has confused me over the years.

I did a school project on the old academy roughly at the time when they were moving it (1981 I think) but sadly it seems to have been thrown away and I had some great old pics of it actually being moved and some good info about it too. :(

All I can remember is that it only moved about 20 mtrs and they did it by using floats, grease and an awful lot of restraints and cranes and it cost about £100k (ish) to do.

Not a bad amount to spend moving and saving a historic listed building though and I wonder if they lengthened and moved the tunnels too or just filled them in :wink:

Shame it lost all it's character and importance though with the the move and the addition of the extension etc when it was 'reborn' though eh?

Anyway sorry to digress slightly from the actual topic like I usually do :oops:

Great pictures Algy and there are some that I don't remember seeing before. As for the few I do remember it's lovely to see them again and like you say the more you see them or look at them the more you notice.

On the 8th picture (1913. June, The first half of the bridge nearing completion. Note the lovely condition and position of the old Academy building ) what was the large 4 storey building behind (and just to the right) of the old academy, any idea?

Dizz, if you look at Photo No.5 all will be revealed, the building to the right of the Academy was owned by J M Greenhalgh - Cabinet Makers, when I was a lad back in the 1950's it was a Wimpey bar and frequented by American servicemen.

Like you say 'take more time and examine the detail' eh :oops:

But saying that all the windows are different on the two pics so I'll let myslef off for that one :lol: (Ok so the academy building is still there and should have told me though). :P:wink:

Like you say 'take more time and examine the detail' eh :oops:

But saying that all the windows are different on the two pics so I'll let myslef off for that one :lol: (Ok so the academy building is still there and should have told me though). :P:wink:

Dizz, here are three pics of the 'Tower Building', the first is pre 1899 as Olly's statue has not been erected at the front of the Academy and shows the doorway apertures in the wall with wooden doors fixed and a cathead hoist over the top doorway, the ground floor shop called Greaves House at this time was operating as a pawnbrokers,jeweller's and house furnishers with the upper floors being offices to let.

The second is from 1912, still long doorway openings, cathead in place, ground floor occupied by J M Greenalgh's Cabinet makers, upper floors, offices?.

Third from 1913, new brickwork between floors and window frames built in, Greenalgh's remain.

1.WarringtonBridgeStreetfromtheBridgelate1890s.jpg

2. 1912ConstructingthenewbridgealongsidetheoldVictoriaBridge.jpg

3.1913JuneThefirsthalfofthebridgenearingcompletion.jpg

Algy would that be the same Greenhalgh's that had a wholesale timber & packing case making company in the 60's & 70's ? By the way that is the first time i have seen the old junction of Knutsford Rd & Wilderspool Cwy. I don't remember it although i remember being taken as a young child to see some dignitary open the "new" Wilderspool Bridge.

Algy would that be the same Greenhalgh's that had a wholesale timber & packing case making company in the 60's & 70's ? By the way that is the first time i have seen the old junction of Knutsford Rd & Wilderspool Cwy. I don't remember it although i remember being taken as a young child to see some dignitary open the "new" Wilderspool Bridge.

wd, not certain about that, probably would be though as I think the family were always involved with joinery and the building trade, seem to remember them having a plumbing supplies shop, sold bathroon suites as well, might have been in Dixon Street off Sankey Street, :unsure: