Working Lives of Warrington

Cleopatra

Algy, Dizzifer, have you seen the new book containing many old photos of Victorian Warrington - Working Lives of Warrington by Janice Hayes? I thought about you two when I read the report, knowing that you would be interested.

If it's a brand new issue I haven't come across it yet, I shall have to visit the Library/Museum they usually have them on sale, what annoys me about these publications is that the photographs were bequeathed to the townspeople of Warrington but instead are kept under lock and key and not being made available for all to see then they are trickled out in book form over a long period of time with the people of the town having to pay good money to see them, at the end of the day they are photos of our heritage. :roll:

With regard to our industrial heritage, I believe that street names and names of older pubs (and a number of other buildings ) should be sacrosanct and not allowed to change, as they can give a clue to what went on there in the past - often such names are all that remain of former activities.

Nick, I am with you all the way on this one.

What annoys me about these publications is that the photographs were bequeathed to the townspeople of Warrington but instead are kept under lock and key and not being made available for all to see then they are trickled out in book form over a long period of time with the people of the town having to pay good money to see them, at the end of the day they are photos of our heritage. :roll:

I completely agree with you Algy which is one of the reasons that I didn't rush out to buy this one when I saw it advertised in the local rag recently. I;ve got quite a few 'Warrington working lives' type books and to dribble more pictures out over many many years is not fair at all !!

Like you say ALL these photo's SHOULD be freely accessible and available for people to see if they want to... and the books should simply be an addition of that with written words and additional info.

I completely agree with what you said too Nick T

I completely agree with you Algy which is one of the reasons that I didn't rush out to buy this one when I saw it advertised in the local rag recently. I;ve got quite a few 'Warrington working lives' type books and to dribble more pictures out over many many years is not fair at all !!

Like you say ALL these photo's SHOULD be freely accessible and available for people to see if they want to... and the books should simply be an addition of that with written words and additional info.

I completely agree with what you said too Nick T

Also Dizz after seeing some of the 'teasers' sample photos most appear to have been published previously in the "Warrington at Work" published by the library in 2003 although there has to be new material or it would not be worth publishing the book. :unsure:

Thanks Algy. I already have that book (it was one of my mums too).

Blummin' frustrating though and until the library/museum/local history groups all make a better effort to get more of our bequeathed images online and/or accessible for ALL TO SEE FREE OF CHARGE I will not be buying any more of their books to add to my mums/my collection.

I'm 100% sure that is what my mum would be saying now too given her complaints of the past :wink::(

I'll try again. Is not all the stuff in the library vaults catalogued and available for inspection, and free of charge?

My good lady bought me the 2010 book of Latchford this evening. Seems good.

Happy days

Harry, good point when I have time away from uploading photos to here (my fault as I did offer) I must just go down and test that out.

I'll try again. Is not all the stuff in the library vaults catalogued and available for inspection, and free of charge?

My good lady bought me the 2010 book of Latchford this evening. Seems good.

Happy days

I would imagine (or hope) they are catalogued Harry but my own point is they should be accessible for easier browsing at leisure so you can digest rather than for them to be locked in a vault and only brought out when specifically requested by someone and viewable under restriction.

I might ask next time I find time to go into the Warrington Library though but having been to Chester Archives to view things in the past if it's anything like that then, as interesting as it is, it's a complete pain in the <you know where>

You have to book in advance, then fill in slips saying specifically what you want to look at. You view those items, hand them back, and then your next 'choice' is brought out.

Want to cross match... hard luck as it's gone and you then have to hand the other stuff back and get the other out again, and so an and so forth. You also are time limited so finish up reading fast, making hurried notes, missing things and/or just trying to 'remember'.

Also you fill out your slip only to find that some things have to be ordered as they are stored in the salt mines so you have to go back again to see those.

All of the things I was searching for related to my immediate LOCAL AREA and it's history and it really started to pee me off :cry:

So in short, my view is that things relating to our LOCAL HISTORY should be held LOCALLY and FREELY ACCESSIBLE FOR ALL LOCALLY especially if they have been BEQUEATHED to OUR library and museum for us to take pleasure out of.

More people might start taking an interest in it too if it was.

Yes... I'm ranting again... sorry :oops::blink:

Cleo,

Thank you. My notes are in a binder, a form of book already. I always quote "one man's nostalgia is another man's boredom".

People often say the same about publishing my poems - in my opinion their worth is very doubtful. However I could afford it, so perhaps 'one day'.

Ecclesiastes "vanity, vanity, all is vanity~"

Happy days

I really don't know but think you are asking far too much for thousands and thousands of records gathered over a very long period of time, to be readily available. Each and everyone will be important to someone, as are my police and war-time recollections gathering dust therein.

Happy days

Why is it asking too much for more to be made available Harry ?

At present there are a total of 139 images available on the museums didital image project as I just looked. That equates to 17 per year if I want to be picky. Algy has scanned and uploaded more than that on here in the past few days along with interesting information. Maybe he could offer his services to them and they could give him a job :wink::D

Their website says the Digital Image Project began in 2003 with the aim of making Warrington Library, Museums and Archives collections accessible online and was started with grant aid from the North West Libraries, Archives and Museums Council.

It also says " The aim behind this project is to allow everyone to browse at will through our collections without any damage occurring to the originals.

They also say "Researchers attached to museums and higher education institutions who need to see our original photographs are welcome to make appointments." ... so I guess you can at least see the origs if you fall into that category. I don't do you ?

And finally they also say "These web pages, and more like them, will grow as time passes. However the speed at which we can achieve this depends on funding. So please be patient - we want more resources online as much as you do. Help us achieve this by sending us your feedback about this site."

SO MAYBE WE NEED TO LEAVE FEEDBACK SO THEY KNOW PEOPLE WANT TO SEE THEM AND THEY CAN APPLY FOR AND HOPEFULLY GET THE ADDITIONAL FUNDING THEY NEED ! :D

To leave feedback go here http://www.1museumstreet.co.uk/wdia/about.htm and click the feedback link

and to view their current collection go here http://www.1museumstreet.co.uk/wdia/contents.htm

Thanks for the job offer Dizz, but no thanks!.

Regarding resources there innumerable university students that require part time work during their annual break or are looking for work experience, these youngsters could be given the task of cataloguing slides/photos etc and scanning and uploading to the libraries own website for the enjoyment and education of anyone that is interested in Warrington's past history, regarding the downloading of the images the library could block that facility.

Cleo,

Thank you. My notes are in a binder, a form of book already. I always quote "one man's nostalgia is another man's boredom".

People often say the same about publishing my poems - in my opinion their worth is very doubtful. However I could afford it, so perhaps 'one day'.

Ecclesiastes "vanity, vanity, all is vanity~"

Happy days

Do not hide your talent under a bushel. Mathew 5:15 :wink: