RIP who?

Adam

Listening to the Radio 4 news this morning I heard that the world of music had been robbed of two of its greatest talents, who have apparently died around the same time. When they were named, together with some of their greatest works, I realised I had never heard of either of them, nor their music. Later, however, I heard another item in which they played a snatch of a couple of their masterpieces. One it seems, wrote the words "You ain't nothing but a hound dog" which made me realise I HAD heard of at least that literary gem.

Apparently, the late gentleman never thought much of Elvis's version of his creation, an opinion with which I can concur. However, I don't know how he expected anyone to do any better with such tripe!

Ye Gods! What is Radio 4 coming to?

So what were the names of these two great tallents then ?

..... it's ok I think it was written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller but just wondered why you didn't say :lol:

I know what you mean though as they don't seem to have done an awful lot to earn the titles of 'musics greatest talents'

Hound Dog was originally sung by a lady called Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton in 1952... Elvis did it about 4 years later.

Not keen on her version either though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_nNNIYTy9g&feature=related

They also wrote Jailhouse Rock... now that always gets my feet a tappin. The Blues Brothers version is great but you many not have watched that film Adam (I have the cd and dvd if you would like to borrow them :wink:)

Nothing wrong with a bit of 12 bar blues every now and again though.. I feel a sudden guitar moment coming on :D

Nothing wrong with a bit of 12 bar blues every now and again.. I feel a guitar moment coming on :D

Dizzy

The reason I didn't use their names was that I couldn't remember them and was not prepared to spend time looking them up!

I agree about the 12 bar blues - unfortunately all its greatest exponents are long dead and were probably dead before the gramophone was invented.

So what were the names of these two great tallents then ?

..... it's ok I think it was written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller but just wondered why you didn't say :lol:

I know what you mean though as they don't seem to have done an awful lot to earn the titles of 'musics greatest talents'

Hound Dog was originally sung by a lady called Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton in 1952... Elvis did it about 4 years later.

Not keen on her version either though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_nNNIYTy9g&feature=related

They also wrote Jailhouse Rock... now that always gets my feet a tappin. The Blues Brothers version is great but you many not have watched that film Adam (I have the cd and dvd if you would like to borrow them :wink:)

Nothing wrong with a bit of 12 bar blues every now and again though.. I feel a sudden guitar moment coming on :D

Nothing wrong with a bit of 12 bar blues every now and again.. I feel a guitar moment coming on :D

Thanks for the Blues Bros version. Not heard that before.

Now point me to some 12 bar blues please.

OK.. but what was wrong with Jailhouse Rock it's 12 bar (with a slight variation on the 4 chord) :P:huh:

Anyway I just played you some 'Peter type' 12 Bar Blues could you hear me ? :D

If not here's another video for you ... lets 'virtually' rock.. 1...2...3...4... :lol:

OK.. but what was wrong with Jailhouse Rock it's 12 bar (with a slight variation on the 4 chord) :P:huh:

Anyway I just played you some 'Peter type' 12 Bar Blues could you hear me ? :D

If not here's another video for you ... lets 'virtually' rock.. 1...2...3...4... :lol:

Thank you Dizzy. xxxx In my world that is "fast jive". Not many girls can do it, deffo not these days. I grew up listening to Presley and he's still the King. I confess, I haven't heard the expression 12 bar blues. If it makes my feet tap, that's all I need to hear to get me up dancing. :D

Adam hasn't got a headache because he hasn't clicked on any of the links.

And Adam has always acknowledged the existence of good music that is not classical music. What Adam objects to is crass pop music written purely to get money out of the musically ignorant masses which has dominated the charts ever since the charts were invented. There was plenty of good popular music in the 20s and 30s and even a bit in the 40s. The odd good song still gets written - but it never gets played on the radio so we seldom get to hear it.

As for the 12-bar blues, it is true that much rock music is based on it - but it is a bastardised version of it again designed to appeal to the musically ignorant masses.

You do realise that when you're talking about the 20s, it's almost a 100 years ago, don't you?

The odd good song still gets written - but it never gets played on the radio so we seldom get to hear it.

And you know this because you listen to all radio stations all of the time? Is this you?

http://www.duxfordradiosociety.org/radiostation/schedules/jun28-2007-0033-1024p.jpg

The music I like = good.

The music everybody else likes = rubbish.

And people who refer to themselves in the third person are prats.

Adam hasn't got a headache because he hasn't clicked on any of the links.

But why not Adam ? How do you know you don't like something if you haven't even bothered to listen to it ? I find that a bit rude actually as if you posted a link to a classical piece that you liked I would click and listen to it. I might like it, I might not, but my mind and ears are always open to listening to any music by anyone.

And Adam has always acknowledged the existence of good music that is not classical music. What Adam objects to is crass pop music written purely to get money out of the musically ignorant masses which has dominated the charts ever since the charts were invented.

But not all pop music (as you call it) is crass. Yes people make money out of it but surely money has been made out of most types of music over the years. To say anyone who listens to such music is one of the 'ignorant masses' is rather pathetic. WHY are they ignorant just because they like a tune, lyrics or particular type of artist ?

There was plenty of good popular music in the 20s and 30s and even a bit in the 40s. The odd good song still gets written - but it never gets played on the radio so we seldom get to hear it.

The 20's... may I ask how old you are Adam ? It could be that we dont get to hear it because people don't like it although it's probably available on youtube so if more listened it's ratings would go up and then the radios etc may play it more.

As for the 12-bar blues, it is true that much rock music is based on it - but it is a bastardised version of it again designed to appeal to the musically ignorant masses.

Flippin' heck Adam... there you go again saying that people are 'musically ignorant'. WHY... I'm really into music and always have been (although in a much broader sense than you as I don't stick to one particular genre) and I'm certainly not ignorant.

The way I see it is that an across the board open mind to all music is good. Happily my 17 year old son who is musical (plays guitar and keyboard)seems to be following in my footsteps. Yes he likes a lot of modern stuff modern stuff, yes he likes a heck of a lot of older stuff too which spans various decades, anything from heavy rock, lighter rock, country, pop, easy listening, no one particular genre at all and he even plays some classical stuff too. Healthy if you ask me especially for youngsters.

Dizzy

I am sorry if you consider me rude because I did not make use of your links. But as a policy I never put links in my posts nor click on links in other people's. I am interested in the views of people on here - not "second hand" stuff from God-knows-where! I certainly don't need to use links to listen to rock music - it's everywhere.

Other posters

I don't know why people seem surprised that I say the best popular music was written in the 20s and 30s. It doesn't mean I was around at the time - simply that I have made a study of music from the past because it seems to me to be wrong to only consider current music. It makes me smile when I see people voting for "best ever" guitarist, song, group, etc., etc., because 99 per cent of them only even consider music from their own era.

If you study the lyrics of the pop music of the 20s and 30s and cannot accept that, almost without exception, they are more literate, more poetic and make better use of the beautiful English language than things like "You ain't nothing but a hound dog" then there is no point in arguing with you. You are passed redemption!

Similar if you study the structure of popular music from the 20s and 30s (which was mainly written by people who had been classically trained) and cannot accept that harmonically, melodically and in every other respect, it was superior to most of what is produced today, you are again beyond redemption. Harmony has always been largely missing from rock music. Rock music is really made for jumping up and down to (note I do not say dancing) not listening to!

To the poster who says I am someone who says the music I like is good and the music I don't like is rubbish, I would say that there is plenty of music (classical, jazz, folk, popular) which I don't like but which I recognise as being good. There is also music that I DO like which I feel a bit embarrassed about because I know it is really junk.

In closing I would add that the pop heroes of my own youth (Frankie Laine, Guy Mitchell, Johnny Ray) were just as big as the rock stars of today but are now largely forgotten. In my youth I thought they were good - I now recognise they were rubbish. That is because I grew up and learned a bit about music which, in turn, shaped my taste. The pop heroes of today will also be largely forgotten in 50s years and, hopefully, today's youngsters will have recognised they are rubbish.

They may harbour some nostalgic affection for them, but that is another issue. Nothing to do with the quality of the music!

Fair enough Adam as after all we are all entitled to our own opinions and you clearly like your types music and I certainly have no problem with that so who am I to say you shouldn't or that it is 'crass' or you are are 'ignoranat' in your ways. It's upto you what you like and don't like just as it's upto everyone else what they like or don't like too. Personal preference, difference and choice :D

I just found a really good song done by a commedy group called 'Axis of Awsome' titled 'Four Chord song' on you-tube which basically backs you up in a way.

They sing a compilation of many songs we have all heard over the past 40 years and have put snippets them all together in one song using the exact same 4 chords sequence and rhythm. I haven't posted the direct link on here as there are two 'f' words at the very beginning and two at the very end but if you ignore those everyhing inbetween is really good and there's no swearing.

Also Adam .... as you are into your music have you heard of 'Playing for Change'?

It's a global day of action (the next being 17th September 2011) where musicians and singers from all over the world perform anywhere and everywhere from stages to street corners to raise money to support music in the lives of young people and to make a difference to peace and understanding through music along with a lot more.

I know you don't like links but others might like to watch this as it's good (well I think so) and Grandpa Elliot and many of the others are street buskers from around the world who have all been fimed in their own places doing the same song and it's been put together by the film crew.

Very uplifting indeed... and what music should be all about. I wish someone would get Grandpa E some teeth though.

Adam, The Americans and English don't belong in the same sentence.

If you recall the BBC announcers and others, many years ago spoke excellent English. Then Dialects became popular. Nothing wrong with dialects, but sadly the standards change and fall, because no-one cares any more as in most things in life.

Wandering off topic a little, but yes, Peter, you are right. Dialect is often beautiful but it is no excuse for sloppy English. Have you noticed that these days quite a few of the weather forecast presenters are not aware there is a "T" in Scotland? (I know a lot of the Scots aren't either!)

Things are unlikely to get better. When A Level students were being interviewed the other day, most of them seemed unaware of the "Ts" in words like better and computer. Then they wonder why they can't get jobs!

• 1 month later...

When two and-a-half million people are out of work it is more important than ever to have as much going for you as possible when you go for a job interview. Being able to speak our own language properly is clearly a plus.

It is true, of course, that there are some jobs where being able to speak properly may not seem that important. But there are fewer of those jobs around these days.

This is the real world Adam not Pygmalion. Henry Higgins for Employment secretary anyone? We don't need all these back to work measures or a vibrant economy we just need to be able to speak in a manner which Adam finds appropriate and the jobless figures will be down to zero in no time. The weather forcasters who are unable to speak properly have got jobs despite their massive elocutionary disabilities, and are probably very well paid too.

and there are lots of Scottish people on TV too and a couple who manage very succesful football clubs and they can't string two coherrent words of English together:grin:

But even the Scottish managers can't understand each other..

I am with Adam on this one. You want the best for the job, unless driving a white van. :P