Midnight wedding

Stallard12

Had a little password trouble which Gary has kindly sorted for me, made it too late for me to comment on a recent topic, so I hope you will bear with me reintroducing it.

Re the brave men of the sanitary department, who emptied the 'one holers' every night, known as the 'midnight wedding'. In the early forties I would sometimes sleep at my grans house on Manchester Rd, close to St Elfin's Park. On warm nights the window would be left open and around midnight I would hear the bins being dragged over the cobbled alley and then carried to the waiting truck. It was quite usual to hear conversations and comments of the two men carrying a tub like: "Let your end down a bit Fred, it's running down my clog!". As a cyclist, I would automatically avoid the trickle escaping from the rear end of the familiar round top truck and hold my breath until the cloud around it cleared. Ahh, the good old days!!!

Thought this was a bit of a light hearted change from politics.

Had a little password trouble which Gary has kindly sorted for me, made it too late for me to comment on a recent topic, so I hope you will bear with me reintroducing it.

and you can change your name in your profile settings if yuou want to - I notice a family member has also registered now! :wink:

It made me crindge reading that Stallard12... especially the bit about the clogs and the trickle from the van YEUCH !! :unsure: How times have changed eh ... thankfully.

... and now we know what Obs and Algy used to get upto too :wink:

There was foreman at ICI. called 'Rolley' who was in charge of the works utilities or in those days the 'Mains & Drains Dept', when there was a sewerage blockage he would descend down into the foul sewer to investigate, if anyone remarked to him that the didn't know how he could do such an unpalatable job he would inevitably reply " It may be 'Shit' to you but it's my bread & butter".

Just a final anecdote on this revolting subject. Our neighbor (not close thank God !)in Woolston worked at the treatment plant and he smelled so bad that he was permanently banned from using the buses, even on his off days, sorry, days' off. He had to walk all the way from Woolston to Warrington twice a day.

In those days it was permissable to use human ...... as fertilizer. My father was a big rose grower and one day the neighbor knocked at the door and handed my father a brown paper parcel, "For the roses" he said. It stank to high heaven, we had to bury it three feet deep to hide the smell and we left the doors and windows of the house open for about a week to purify the house.

OK, that's it, I'm officially out of this discussion !!!!