Hung Council.

observer

Cllr Bruce has raised this issue on a number of occasions - yet does not appear to have persuaded her coalition partner to cut borrowing.

At the end of the day, it is a matter for the Conservative Party - What do they actually get out of this arrangement?

If last years local election results are anything to go by - not much!

[ 04.04.2008, 08:41: Message edited by: Cllr Paul Kenny ]

On the subject of WBC borrowings........?106 million and rising plus pension deficit(?100 million...and probably also rising). Can someone explain how and when the borrowings will be repaid. As I understand it, unlike a domestic mortgage where the repayments cover both interest and capital, WBC's repayments are interest only, leaving the capital still to be repaid, or does the Public Works Loan Board(WBC's main lender I understand) write the debt off after a number of years....somehow doubt it :confused:

[ 04.04.2008, 09:29: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

It's a mystery to me, but then the Council's Asset Management (i.e. Estates) section is ruddy awful at maximising value on its own land. Some strategic sales off could easily reach about ?10m even in the current uncertain economic climate. However, allowing development in Warrington is probably even more politically unpalatable than racking up an unsustainable level of debt - after all, who ever heard of Local Government going into receivership when there's such a handy revenue stream (i.e. us) that can be tapped up year upon year...

W.B.C has huge assets in land and buildings; and McB is exactly right; the officers responsible have been totally incapable of conducting an assett management strategy, which would allow the Council to profit from judicial purchases and sales, AND provide effective planning control in the process. :roll: Mr Kenny's comment is interesting - "what do they get out of it"? :roll: But it gives away the real motivation of New Labour, money for themselves and power for their Party: NOT any altruistic interest in the general wellbeing of the general population of the Town. :roll:

[ 04.04.2008, 11:16: Message edited by: observer ]

A hung Council..........what a brilliant idea!!
my thoughts exactly Victor!

Well, it certainly looks like they have had plenty of rope! :o

Alliances can only work if both sides respect each other. How can you lie comfortably in bed with someone who can't lie straight? :spin:

[ 07.04.2008, 22:05: Message edited by: Stephen Taylor ]

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

Not a believer in the death penalty myself

:D

Well you wouldn't get my vote on a national level then Paul.

The country needs people and politicians who are willing to make proper justice and not lock scum up for ever shorter sentences with TV, DVD and playstations for company

[ 11.04.2008, 23:50: Message edited by: BazJ ]

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

Originally posted by Cllr Paul Kenny:

What do they actually get out of this arrangement?

Three seats at the "top table" :wink:
And we all know why that is Paul, the LIB/DEMs haven't got any other people capable of being at that table. Hope thay are keeping your seat warm or is it for Sue?