Of interest to some

tonymailman2

Although not strictly related to your link Tony.

I do have issues with modern day tomb raiders under the guise of historical archeologists digging up the tombs of ancient Egyptians. Then removing artifacts and even the remains, in the name of research.

I did have a letter from an archeological historian explaining the laws of the countries concerned, which made it all sound acceptable, as to why digs in places like The Valley of the Kings are allowed to go on. Unfortunately that letter is now lost on my old computer.

But again in my own little world, Archeologists, lawfully registered or not, are nothing but Tomb Raiders themselves. They are doing nothing different than what the Tomb Raiders thousands of years before them did in my opinion. Other people may think differently.

Although not strictly related to your link Tony.

I do have issues with modern day tomb raiders under the guise of historical archeologists digging up the tombs of ancient Egyptians. Then removing artifacts and even the remains, in the name of research.

I did have a letter from an archeological historian explaining the laws of the countries concerned, which made it all sound acceptable, as to why digs in places like The Valley of the Kings are allowed to go on. Unfortunately that letter is now lost on my old computer.

But again in my own little world, Archeologists, lawfully registered or not, are nothing but Tomb Raiders themselves. They are doing nothing different than what the Tomb Raiders thousands of years before them did in my opinion. Other people may think differently.

Have to say I agree with you to a point there, it all depends on whether it's an intentional dig to see what remains or whether it's coincidental ........ i.e archaeological investigation prior to building works which does occassionally turn up 'unknown burials' etc or the 'knowing' something is in a certain place.

I've always had a slight issue with the removal of skeletons and human remains ............ proving to a point that in the modern day even when you're dead ya can't get any bloody peace !

Although I say I have issues over the scientific reasoning with excavating tombs, I do find documentorys on this subject really interesting. I can't have it both ways.

I would rather see something like, the inside of the Tomb photographed with everything left in place without being tampered with.

The problem is though Wingy once these places have been found, investigated, photographed etc etc then sooner or later word will get out where they are and the raiders will go in an steal whatever is left.

I suppose there is no alternative that to remove some of the artifacts although I don't agree with skeletons and other burials being removed from their final resting place :?:cry:

• 3 weeks later...

After reading that article a few thoughts come to mind.

Firstly why do they have to wait until newer techniques occur. Surely if they re-interred the bodies properly in a sterile container, then surely when sufficiently advanced and proven technology exists to make it worthwhile they could then apply for permission to take dig them up again to take a sample. I mean it is not as if they are going to forget where they buried them is it.

Secondly I cannot follow the reasoning behind the statement that they would be "effectively destroyed". Surely in a suitable container safely buried they would be no more at risk than if they were sitting on a shelf in some lab (probably at less risk).

Just think that these remains have lain buried for such a long time that a few more years would not make that much difference to finding out what they ate for breakfast. :roll:

And as a final thought, how does this relate to all the mummies that were removed from various pyramids over the years, have they got to go back in the ground as well?