Potato Cakes

Stallard12

Need some help guys. My mother used to make the best potato cakes and I'm sure that she wasn't the only one. Basically she took left over mashed potaotes, mixed in a little flour and maybe an egg (s) - I have no idea what else. She them formed then into 6" dia patties and baked them in the oven. They were superb hot with butter and also cold.

Does anyone have a complete receipe ? Cooker temps will have to be in degrees, cos we don't have 'regulos'. Thanks for any help.

Oooh they sound lovely.. I've no idea how to make them (sorry) but I hope someone does so I can make some too :D:wink:

I found this on the internet which sounds similar although they are cooked in a pan not an oven

How to make Old-Fashioned Potato Pancakes

3 cups shredded peeled potatoes

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 cup grated onion

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

Rinse potatoes in cold water; drain thoroughly.

In a bowl, mix potatoes, eggs, onion, flour, parsley, salt and pepper.

Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle.

Fry 5-6 minutes on each side or until potatoes are tender and pancakes are golden brown.

PS...... Another similar recipe said to SOAK the peeled potatos in a bowl of water for 5 hours before grating to remove a lot of the starch though.

Thanks for the replies, just in case the experts don't chip in - I can't believe that there ain't any other old mill girls out there !!!!

Here's the deal,I have tried it and they were not bad, but not perfect. I par-bolied the taters for about 5 mins and mashed with butter - about five medium size. Then I added an egg, some salt to taste and a cup full of flour. Then I dumped a mess of flour onto the counter top and made the patties. I placed them onto a greased cookie sheet and stuck them into the oven for about ten minutes a side at 400 degrees. They wern't bad and for anyone that hadn't had moms, very acceptable.

I just need to know about things like baking powder, cumen, rosemary and thyme ect. Not bad for a guy though.

I don't know about onion and cheese, I'm a big fan of both, but strange to say, the creamy 'blandness' has always been the attraction to me. However, add anything for personal taste. Keep in the refrigerator (or in your case at the moment - the back yard !!) and on the second day spread a thick layer of butter on one and see the perfect teeth imprint when you bite. I don't think that I mentioned that they should be about the thickness of a slice of thick bread.

That's what the flour does. Add flour to the mix and then form the patties on a flour bed so that it adheres to the patties. I had no problem making 1/4 to 1/2" thick patties.

My only questions were concerns about the exact amounts of flour and egg for an 8" saucepan full of mashed potato and were there any other binding agents required, I really am happy with the straight potato taste.

No, the flour is added to the mash to change the consistency producing a slightly drier mixture that holds together better. The cakes should be formed on a bed of flour and both sides dusted. As I say, I know the priciples, I just don't know the exact amounts or if Im missing any ingredients.

i have been told that you should half the amount of flour as you have potato.

so if you have 8 oz of potato you should add 4 oz of flour.

the easiest way is to add a bit at a time until it looks/feel the right consistency. it would also depend on how wet your mash is.

i say this as i tend to add butter and a drop of milk to my potato's before i mash them to add a bit of flavour and this can make the mash slightly wetter than if you just mash the potato's on their own.

potato cakes are mashed potato with corned beef added and an egg,made in to patties on a flour board.heat the fry pan up and in shallow hot oil put the patties in and turn over half way though heating them.serv with baked beans..................... :wink:

Bet you asked the family.

Happy Christmas Rocky.x