Warrington BC Website - Scroll Bars Missing?

Sue Durnim

Appears to work fine in Fire Fox but with older versions of IE the bottom scroll bar in your browser doesn't show up so the only way you can see the whole page is to set your browser settings to full screen.

From my own experiences techy types tend to forget that many surfers stick with their favourite old browsers and lots of peope still use IE 6 or older.

Not sure why you are using Safari, there are known issues with Safari and using Safari with Flash in particular.

The arrow keys work fine when I use Safari and the contact details when I click on 'Councillors' then 'Councillor contact details' brings up their email details no problem. :?

Thank you for your replies, however, the WBC site shows a blank on my Explorer, using the arrow keys in Safari does not help and if I make the font sizes smaller everything goes out of place.

May be I will give the WBC site a miss, uless they can make it user freindly for older browsers?

Maybe they have 'blocked' you as a suspected trouble maker :lol::lol: .... were you looking for something specific :wink:

Just discovered that one of the most important features - how to contact your local councillor doesn't appear to work? :?

All the mug shots appear under their ward names but when you click on the links for their contact details it doesn't work for me.

Yay. That's good. :lol::lol:

Why do they mess with these things? The old site worked ok. Thought they had no money anyway.

It's as bad as going shopping to find that they have moved everything around. :twisted::evil::evil::twisted:

Just to let you all know, that I can access parts of the site but not able to scroll up or down or use the arrows keys to navigate. Thanks for all for your help and advice.

Just thought the council may have tried and tested there new website on several browser platforms so at least the majority of PC users can access their information service, not every one can afford or have the technical expertise to upgrade their software/computer.

If I have an urgent need to access their website again, I will probably go to the library, if it has not been closed down yet.

So bits aren't working for Gary, bits aren't working for SD??

Was their new site TESTED PRIOR to going LIVE? :shock:

Any IT person with an ounce of sense knows the usual way is at least three areas.. Development... Testing (beta and user) then Live

1 Development... ie changes made

2 Beta Testing (full testing of ALL areas and functions whilst still in development stage/area)

3 Full 'User' Testing (usully carried out in a controlled area which is the same as setup as the live user area)

4 One passed it goes THEN GOES LIVE for all to see and use.

Not rocket science but I'm sure they will have 'fixed' the now known bugs soon :wink:

Guess what I'm going to do now :oops::lol::lol::lol:

Sue, try a different resolution on your monitor.

wolfie, that's what I call thinking out of the box, thanks for the suggestion, but if I have the screen res' any smaller, I will need a magnifying glass, which will defeat the object.

I thought it was standard practice to make website's user freindly and to make it accessible for all users, can't understamd that every website I visit has scroll bars, apart from the WBC's?

Have you tried this ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956197

Open internet explorer and open the councils website in the browser window....

Click Tools (on the ie toolbar)

Then click 'Compatibility View' (or you can click 'Compatibility View Settings')

That will then make WBC's berbiste open in a slightly different way as it could be a bit of a glitch between ie 8 and their web site.

... obviously doesn't explain why it wont work on any other browsers though :?:oops:

wolfie, that's what I call thinking out of the box, thanks for the suggestion, but if I have the screen res' any smaller, I will need a magnifying glass, which will defeat the object.

I was actually thinking bigger. The scroll bars only appear when the web page is bigger than the resolution of your monitor, so decrease the monitor resolution.