Positive signs for Wires future.........

Latchford Locks

Looking at the nominations for the Rugby League International Federations team of the year it was wonderful to see our players getting so many nominations amongst the worlds elite players.Special "well done's" to Chris Riley and Ben Harrison.Makes me think we really are arriving as a top side at long last and folk are sitting up and taking notice....

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/10/11/02/RUGBYL_Awards.html

While the future is bright there has also been some concerns raised that a good proportion of the team are not getting any younger and while we have got to focus on home grown local talent mor ein the future, I think there is room for a fair bit of strengthening at the end of next season.

Matt King and Chris Hicks are going to be hard acts to follow.

While the future is bright there has also been some concerns raised that a good proportion of the team are not getting any younger and while we have got to focus on home grown local talent mor ein the future, I think there is room for a fair bit of strengthening at the end of next season.

Matt King and Chris Hicks are going to be hard acts to follow.

The main reason for the lack of young talent in the past is the fact that we neglected our juniors to the extent that at one stage we gave up having junior sides. It's only in the last couple years (Ben Harrison and Chris Riley) that we've had anyone at all coming through since Paul Wood in 2001. There's a good crop of young players justing starting to come through the ranks, and if the story in League Weekly about the kid from Bradford is true then it looks like we may have another one.

I think that King, Solomona, Hicks, and Clarke will all be let go at the end of next season. It's a massive year for Mike Cooper, he really needs to push on now, and I would also be looking at the Welsh kids and Tye McCarthy to make an impact.

Could we have seen the last of Moz ? He's got a serious injury which is seen more often in older people. He's had 15 years at the top being battered week in week out which must take a toll on his body.

May be not Moz - but it will be bye bye Kingy and Hicks this year and probabky to some of the other old timers!

The kids are going to have to stand up and be counted this year.