New Travellers Pitch in the South of Warrington

Geoff Settle

Originally posted by little fella:

ANPR is there regularly, they are street legal but many other moptorist arnt.

What's ANPR ?

Have you been drinking Little Fella as I don't know what a moptorist is either :P

Is it someone who 'tours' the country on a 'mop'

or some sort of a conservative :P

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANPR is the clever gadget that the cops have. (automatic number plate recognition) it scans lots of number plates per minute and cross references them against the DVLA and insurance databases to make sure the vehicle is teaxed, MOT'd and insured.

It also means the cops don't have to get off their fat backsides to actually nick someone!!

Just to bring things back on track a little, I wonder if Warrington Council is following this little story?

Traveller test case starts at High Court

Susanna Gillman, Planning Resource, 12 February 2008

More than 100 Irish traveller families living on sites in Basildon have launched a test case at the High Court this week to stop the local council evicting them.

The challenge is being watched closely by other local authorities throughout the country, faced with the problem of unauthorised development by travellers and Gypsies.

More than 80 families from the largest illegal traveller site in the UK at Dale Farm, Crays Hill, and 15 families from Hovefields, Wickford, face eviction following a six-year battle with Basildon District Council over their illegal occupation of the sites.

They are asking High Court judge Mr Justice Andrew Collins to quash the council?s decision to take ?direct action? to evict them, claiming it is unlawful because there is a clear unmet need for traveller sites in its area.

They say it will be 2011 before the council will make lawful traveller sites available to them. In the meantime, they argue that they will have nowhere else to go.

Alex Offer, who represents 26 of the travellers at Dale Farm, said that his clients accepted that ultimately they may not be able to stay on the site but they want the council to provide them with a temporary site until a lawful permanent site can be found.

The judge will reserve his decision on the hearing and give a written judgment, unlikely to be issued before April.

Sounds as though it might be worth someone's while to find out a little more about this and see whether there are any lessons that can be learned... like identify some ruddy sites so that the pikey's have no excuse for illegal occupation of land :redmad:

Why can't they just buy or rent houses like the rest of us have to?

Surely the word "illegal" in "Illegal occupation" sort of gives the game away doesn't it? throw them off or burn the caravans.... job done

[ 14.02.2008, 14:24: Message edited by: DS ]

...or those who are rightly concerned by the legal implications of what was posted. :(

Despite extreme provocation of what is happening on the site, those of us who are opposing it must remain calm, cool and collected...and professional at all times...hard as that might sometimes be.

[ 14.02.2008, 18:30: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

Well it just shows to what a level the country has sunk to if I would get arrested for calling a gypoe and yet someone vandalising phone boxes and beating people up wouldn't even warrant a police man to visit the scene until all the trouble has gone away

Originally posted by McBain:

The simple answer is to rule that the "travelling" way of life is illegal on the grounds that they dodge too many taxes. Everyone must have a fixed abode and contribute to society in general, rather than taking whatever they can and giving nothing back.

McB Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with Little Fella's comments or not :wink:

Would be easier if people could switch off from the Gypsy/Traveller vs US concept eh?. I'm sure they are not all tarred with the same brush as some would like to think

BUT (and it is a BIG BUT) The problem is that the Gypsy/Traveller community do appear to have the right to preferential treatment, less laws and far more 'human rights' than the rest of us have.

It is no wonder that they feel they are sometimes subject to the so called 'racial hatred' that their well paid professional representatives drag up when needed. :roll:

If I had bought the piece of green belt land and put in a similar application I would have been told 'NO'.

So would I have had any comeback re: my human rights? NO

Could I have argued that I was a victim of racial hatred? NO

And why not :confused: :confused:

Having dealt with hundreds of the travelling community. I can honestly say that I have only ever met one family. (6 Adults 12 children four caravans) that were really nice people, they were not Irish itinerates. Back in the early 80's

They parked up on some council waste land, they were there for 3 days. They were pleasant to talk to, the children were well behaved. I stayed a few time and had a cuppa with them. They cleaned the site up when they got there and after they left there was not a scrap of rubbish. The caravans were something to be seen talk about luxury. All taxed and insured.

The gypsy?s, and I think that they were proper gypsy?s, went to the houses when they arrived and said that they were only staying for three days and if anyone had a complaint would they knock on the caravan. People were at first up in arms but by the second day the people in the adjoining houses had no complaints about them at all. It ended up that people were offering them water and if they wanted any washing doing.

But they are the minority.

Originally posted by BazJ:

Well it just shows to what a level the country has sunk to if I would get arrested for calling a gypoe and yet someone vandalising phone boxes and beating people up wouldn't even warrant a police man to visit the scene until all the trouble has gone away

Think you've got it in one Baz.

Originally posted by Dismayed:

But safe to say once Traveller's are sited on a permenant site then they are no longer Travellers !! As such should then have to pay the same taxes as the rest of us and abide by the same rules too :wink:

Seems that now the PC term for them is "settlers" :wink:

[ 15.02.2008, 08:05: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

Taking that on board many homeowners (conventional homes) have caravans, so aren't they the same as the "travellers"/"settlers" and can't they therefore buy some agricultural type land, stick a house up...without planning permission and park the caravan outside their front door along with numerous commercial vehicles...

Dont think you'd get away with building a house :D

To really go the whole-hog you'd have to stop paying taxes, stop washing, undo years of education... only then could you start to fit into the "traveller" bracket a bit more comfortably.

Seriously, I don't think that you'd get away with it for one second. Afterall, what kind of hard-luck story could you realistically spin that would compare with the standard "no-one understands us and no-one wants us" diatribe that these human leeches spout every time they want to flout the law to get their own selfish way?

To really go the whole-hog you'd have to stop paying taxes, stop washing, undo years of education... only then could you start to fit into the "traveller" bracket a bit more comfortably.

Seriously, I don't think that you'd get away with it for one second. Afterall, what kind of hard-luck story could you realistically spin that would compare with the standard "no-one understands us and no-one wants us" diatribe that these human leeches spout every time they want to flout the law to get their own selfish way?

My god McB, I thought you were talking about my Student son then!!

Interesting website; I would allude to its existence on any correspondence with the planning authority on the matter. Links to Government policy documents might also help :wink:

Thanks McB, which ones had you in mind, the ODPM circular 01/2006....any others, and I'll get them linked.

PS The following I felt might be a good link as it includes the above.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/planninggypsy

[ 19.02.2008, 16:07: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

TOWN Hall chiefs have served an enforcement notice on the occupants of the unauthorised travellers? camp at Grappenhall, near Warrington, requiring that they leave.

The order requires that the travellers cease to use the land, off Cartridge Lane, for residential purposes and that they remove all caravans, imported hardcore, temporary buildings, etc from the site by April 7.

But the travellers can appeal ? and if they do so the enforcement notice will be suspended until the result of the appeal is known.

Residents of Cartridge Lane are up in arms over the ?invasion? of the Green Belt site by four caravans occupied by two families.

Hardcore has been laid and a cess pool constructed.

A planning application by the travellers was thrown out by Warrington?s development control committee last month, on the grounds that the site access represented a road safety hazard because of trees blocking visibility.

Subsequently a number of trees were felled and the council had to serve a notice prohibiting any further felling.

Oooo! An Enforcement Notice - I bet that has got the pikey's quaking in their Timberland boots :D

But the travellers can appeal ? and if they do so the enforcement notice will be suspended until the result of the appeal is known.

And according to 'other' web news the travellers have now appealed :wink:

[ 27.02.2008, 11:53: Message edited by: Dismayed ]