Faster Broadband?

observer

(ww news) Areas of Warrington will have a longer wait for fibre optic cable provision for increased Broadband speeds. Hang on a minute: wasn't fibre optic cable laid in many areas, about 10 years ago (forgot the name of the company now), so why can't BT use this cable system? :?

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/9115/1/Town-missing-out-on-fast-broadband/Page1.html

I think this is a bit different Obs. The cable companies brought the fibre optic right up to the house whereas BT seems to be just extending the cable from the main exchange through to the various sub stations. My understanding is that your broadband will still come down the old wires as now but in most cases it won?t have quite as far to travel and so will support the higher speeds but it?s still not 100% fibre optics.

The go out and get all your friends to go to the BT website game seems to have taken in so many people I?m truly amazed. I always thought most people here were a little more intelligent and able to see through something like this. Maybe the thought of increased property value because it has faster broadband clouds the judgement process. :lol:

Bill :)

OK, so it is a bit gimmicky, but it has been taken seriously by the BBC and other news organisations, so if it increases interest in faster broadband speeds, surely that doesn't matter.

The worrying thing is that many towns in the South East have got many more people voting than Warrington.

I can't see it having much impact on house prices - but it could have a big impact on business if Warrington is left behind on this.

I remember having to fill in a similar form back in the day when they were guaging interest for ADSL, soon after we had "super fast broadband".

As a company BT need to be able to tell what sort of demand there is before they go investing in infrastructure that may well not pay off!

Perhaps there are too many pound shops in Warrington that make us unattractive? :roll:

It was Nynex obs :wink:

There is no chance on small areas in Warrington winning as across the whole country only FIVE areas will win the chance to get super fast broadband. ie the 5 with the highest % of votes.... question is the % worked out on number of votes per local population number :wink:

I can see where Bill is coming from and I tend to agree that BT are really only running a gimmicky advertising campaign which includes the all important task of getting contact details especially from those of us who aren't already BT customers. :wink: More special enticement 'come back to us' offers in the post no doubt :D

Anyway I just tried to vote for you poor souls that aren't earmarked for get it though but it won't let me. They did congratulate me that my area is on of the lucky ones already getting 'Infinity' and then asked for my email address so that contact could be made !?!?

I dont want contact from BT thanks as i'm perfectly happy with my visgin cable broadband (but there was no box for me to say that :lol: ) and my dads BT broadbant internet speed download is currenly slower that dial up AGAIN !!!! Its NAFF :D

Wonder if it just a coincidence that his speed has suddenly dropped AGAIN just as their campaign starts :shock:

Anyway... people might as well vote on the off chance that Warrington wins and maybe WBC should download the supporters pack and stick the info on their web site and if you are worried about spam emails BILL just create a new email address for the purpose of voting :lol:

Just occurred to me that only people with the internet will know about it or be able to vote and those with dial up may not even be able to run the website with all it's fancy lights :shock::lol:

I will now try and vote with my phone number or a made up one )as they wont know) and a Padgate post code plus someone elses email address just for you Bill :lol:

Would you like me to delete it for you Peter... as you're old I'll give you a bit more time to do it yourself :lol::wink::P

I'm trying not to abstain as I really want the rest of warrington to get what we are getting but I can't use my dads details either as he's in the same area as me so he's already getting it too.

I'm all for people power though not that it makes a difference on some things :wink:

Would you like me to delete it for you Peter... as you're old I'll give you a bit more time to do it yourself :lol::wink::P

I'm trying not to abstain as I really want the rest of warrington to get what we are getting but I can't use my dads details either as he's in the same area as me so he's already getting it too.

I'm all for people power though not that it makes a difference on some things :wink:

Delete what????? :shock::P:wink: touche.

That would only be the case IF your Dad had given HIS BT phone number when/if he filled it in.