They Bottled It...Again!!

CP

Wire should have put that Leeds team to the sword today but they bottled it big time.

Some may blame the ref but thats rubbish.

I didn't believe the hype about wire not being able to beat the big three (saints, wigan and leeds) before todays game. Now im not too sure.

Its a mental block with wire, same reason they cant beat saints. The longer it goes on the worse it will get.

I'll wager that they wont beat any of the big 3 this year, cup or league. All this means no silverware...you heard it here first folks :wink:

It was our defensive frailties which cost us today.

The game was in the bag at half time 20-12 - but our defence was just awful at some times.

The kicking from Sinfield compared to Briers was also a huge factor!

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/8347/1/Wolves-show-defensive-frailties/Page1.html

I hope we are saving beating the BIG THREE for Wembley and the Grand Final!

It was our defensive frailties which cost us today.

The game was in the bag at half time 20-12 - but our defence was just awful at some times.

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/8347/1/Wolves-show-defensive-frailties/Page1.html

The kicking from Sinfield compared to Briers was also a huge factor!

I hope we are saving beating the BIG THREE for Wembley and the Grand Final!

Spot on Gary................

I've been saying much the same thing for a long time as the rest of you are now saying that we aren't yet the real deal and as much as we want them to be the players who pull on the primrose and blue aren't of the same quality as our main competitors i.e. the big three. Had we had a reasonable goal kicker yesterday we still could have pulled off a victory but that would have been papering over the cracks. The defence near our own line left a lot to be desired and it brought back memories of the previous coach inasmuch as when the Leeds team got anywhere close to our own line they looked likely to score. We badly need a pack leader in the same mould as Sinfield, he drove the weakened Leeds team all over the pitch and never stopped yapping to his own players. He's the best in the game at doing what he does. Where Mr Smith could find such a player goodness only knows. The nearest we've got to him is Grix who isn't in the same class. All the rest of the pack are biff bash individuals, prop forwards all of them to a man. We've plenty of brawn but very little brain, Solomona excepted. Looking at what's left of the fixture list I can see only a downwards trajectory. Looks likely to be out of the top four for the Wire.

I'm going to go for 4th.... I said I wanted 3rd the start of the year and that is still possible but taking into account we'll lose to Wigan away and Saints at home that would put us 3rd level with Hull FC (with other results) with FC to play at home and a few lesser teams coming into form like Celtic then the possibility of finishing 4th is very possible but I must say if we were to finish 4th after being 2nd for most of the year that's disgraceful and completely unacceptable.

Nobody wants the Wire to do better than we moaners. Until we beat the big three on a regular basis we'll be forever the bridesmaids. We moaners are realists in the main in the fact that we recognise that we just haven't got the top notch quality players to do so. Of course we have improved since the bad old days under the previous coach but we kid ourselves unless we admit we are still very much a work in progress. Only when in two seasons time when the team will be all the work of Tony Smith will we be able to judge, but one thing's for sure the team then will contain very few of the present playing staff. We've too many journeymen at the moment. The only gamebreaker we have is Lee Briers and he can't go on forever. We badly need a play making pack leader in the mould of Kevin Sinfield and a quality halfback to replace Briers. A couple of speedy back row players wouldn't go amiss either. What we could do without are the tatood gym monkeys.

I'm not sure that it's all down to not having the players that other teams have - it seems to me to be more of a mental strength issue - take Briers for instance - what was he thinking by trying a short kick-off after half time - Leeds scored from the resulting penalty and we were then on the back foot rather than pinning Leeds in their own half. It's little things like that that can change the momentum of a game.

You certainly wouldn't have seen Sinfield trying that in similar circumstances. Do you think Briers tried that himself or was it decided upon at the break by the team/coaches?

It just summed up our afternoon really - Leeds were there for the taking and we should have won comfortably, but just couldn't put any daylight between us. We were also very weak defensively (it's not often we've been able to say that this season) and I think that is more a sign of mental weakness once again. We could say the same for the Bradford Cup tie - we should have been out of sight but somehow conspired to keep allowing them back in the game. Against the top teams, like Leeds demonstrated, this is just going to result in defeat.

We need to sort this out and quick to stay in contention for honours