England Game

Wolfette

How annoying is this, the England game is on Sat 12th June with our fixture against Hull KR re-arranged to Fri 11th June.

Means we will no doubt lose some of our key players for this fixture and whilst Hull KR may do too. Surely the RFL should make the weekend a bye, as some teams will lose more key players than others possibly giving unfair advantage.

I should imagine that with the form of players like Morley, Westwood, Myler, Bridge, Harrison and maybe some others like Atkins, we could be very light on players for this game, whereas I can't see Rovers having may players in the England mix.

It does seem very unfair on the top teams - maybe if they want to persist with a relatively meaningless international fixture they ought to have it mid week....

maybe if they want to persist with a relatively meaningless international fixture they ought to have it mid week....

Spoken like your average parochial, selfish fan. It is no wonder that RL will always be a minority sport with that attitude.

Like the majority of RL fans I couldn't care less about international fixtures. It's more important to me to get the game right domestically. In recent times we have concentrated far too much in defeating the Aussies in fixtures which come up every Preston Guild. So much so we have attempted to ape the Aussies at their own game in the unattractive bish bash methods which have been introduced here by Aussie coaches(Tony Smith excepted because he's now a Brit) and the game has suffered as a spectacle. What the game needs are players of all shapes and sizes playing fast open football not 18 stone gym monkeys trying to rip one anothers arms from the shoulder sockets. We'll see what the international games mean to most fans when we see the sparse attendance against the Froggies.

maybe if they want to persist with a relatively meaningless international fixture they ought to have it mid week....

Spoken like your average parochial, selfish fan. It is no wonder that RL will always be a minority sport with that attitude.

If The RFL want to persist with international matches, at least make them meaningful. The French team are no match for England, and it'll be another one sided affair that does little to further the sport on an international stage.

The last 2 mid season fixtures between these teams have resulted in massive wins for England: 2008 56-8 and 2009 66-12. This is why it's such a meaningless international.

What benefit is it to either side to play in such one-sided matches?

I agree that the international scene is second best to the League but it is however still important.

When Australia play NZ most but not necessarily all of the club teams have a bye for that week, if the RFL aren't willing to do that then rules need to be put in place to only allow lets say 2 players from each team to play in the international.... Ill also just add that the mid season game against France serves no purpose what so ever and often results in a one side affair.

France can only dream of being Australia and NZ standard so to break up the League season for the England team to get together for 3 days and give the French a walloping is pointless.

I agree that the international scene is second best to the League but it is however still important.

When Australia play NZ most but not necessarily all of the club teams have a bye for that week, if the RFL aren't willing to do that then rules need to be put in place to only allow lets say 2 players from each team to play in the international.... Ill also just add that the mid season game against France serves no purpose what so ever and often results in a one side affair.

France can only dream of being Australia and NZ standard so to break up the League season for the England team to get together for 3 days and give the French a walloping is pointless.

100% agreed

The way our international game has been run is a complete joke and it should not be allowed to detract from the main event!

I would love to support a strong national team competing in worthwhile competitions on a regular basis.

Internationals come and go just like the brand is diluted between England and Great Britain depending on the circumstances.

We don't even get a regular world cup!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we may be missing 3 players against Hull KR, whilst KR miss no one...this really infuriates me... :twisted:

C Bridge (Warrington), T Briscoe (Hull), S Burgess (South Sydney), K Eastmond (St Helens), G Ellis (Wests Tigers), J Graham (St Helens), R Hall (Leeds), S O'Loughlin (Wigan), D McGuire (Leeds), A Morley (Warrington), J Peacock (Leeds), J Roby (St Helens), N Scruton (Bradford), M Shenton (Castleford), K Sinfield (Leeds), J Tomkins (Wigan), S Tomkins (Wigan), B Westwood (Warrington), G Widdop (Melbourne).

This England game is a farce, totally unnecessary and a complete waste of time.

If we get beat by Hull kr on friday due to three of our better players being on England duty then I will be really peeved.

Surely the best thing to do would be to have no international game or at the very least postpone the SL games for one weekend.

The people who run the RFL are complete idiots.

I would play all three against Hull kr and then pull all three out of the international due to injury.

As other posters have said SL games should take priority over International games during the SL season.

Tony Smith wont say anything publically about this but privately he must be fuming that we are at a severe disadvantage against Hull kr.

Tony always took an equal number of players from all SL clubs when he was england coach in order to be fair to all clubs.