promotion could mean disaster!

burgerman

Even though the team are just outside the playoffs does anyone else feel like me that we are miles away both on and off the field from being able to compete in the unibond premier and promotion could put back the progress we have made in the last two years!

I say this because many supporters only come and watch a succesful team and i dont think we would be that successful in premier divison.

In my opinion the best thing that could happen to this club is a few near misses a couple of 2nd place finishes and so on and build the club on the pitch and also off it so that we would be better placed to challenge in the premier.

There is actually very little difference in the playing ability of Unibond North and Premier - that is what the manager and players tell me!

Warrington have consistently played well and beaten teams from the higher division over the past few years in cup competitions.

A successful team is a team which wins and gets promoted - that is the only thing which will bring more fans through the gate.

Those who are putting in the hard work want success on the field and that means getting promoted - may be not this year but certainly in the next couple of years.

This is a hard league to get out of but once we do I am sure Warrington can stay at a higher level and continue to move forward on and off the field.

You cant choose when your going to be promoted!!

I think that post is disgraceful to be fairly honest, how can a few near misses help a team?? if they are good enough to be promoted then they are good enough to stay up.

Each league is split between top half teams and bottom half teams with the occasional surprise here and there, look at Stocksbridge park steels for example they came up from the South (which i have been informed is worse than the north for standard) and they are comfortably safe from relegation.

Explain to me how not achieving promotion and failing at the last hurdle can help a club as a whole? players and fans will be disheartened, people don't want to watch second place or teams that always lose at the last hurdle.

A Town the size of Warrington will jump on success (the wolves as a prime example) and a play off end of season and chance of promotion will certainly boost the attendances come the end of season, and with promotion it will add more people every week.

Bigger teams and more known teams visiting Cantilever Park will only boost the attendances, the team at present still needs a few additions but there's no doubt if they want to be promoted they will be by the end of the season or next year.

Just my view at the end of the day

Burgerman makes a valid point.

Yes everyone wants success, but you only have to look at teams higher up in the top divisions. It's no good going up and then dropping down again the following season.

Also, with Warrington being such a fickle town as regards supporting football, there is NO guarantee that the gate would increase sufficiently to financially support the club. A bit of consolidation in the top six would not be a bad idea. Then you could see how the support increased. No good running before you can walk.

On the other hand, if someone put a few million into the club, it could stand the set-backs.

Burgerman makes a valid point.

Yes everyone wants success, but you only have to look at teams higher up in the top divisions. It's no good going up and then dropping down again the following season.

Also, with Warrington being such a fickle town as regards supporting football, there is NO guarantee that the gate would increase sufficiently to financially support the club. A bit of consolidation in the top six would not be a bad idea. Then you could see how the support increased. No good running before you can walk.

On the other hand, if someone put a few million into the club, it could stand the set-backs.

Most clubs in the Unibond Premier have similar budgets to Warrington Town - so there is absolutely no reason whatsoever why Warrington Town can not compete at that level.

The board of directors would not be investing time, effort and money to move the club forward if they did not feel the club was capable of surviving at a higher level.

Not disputing that Gary. I know the effort etc that takes place.

After floundering around the relegation zone for the last few years, getting into the heady heights of the top half, and even into the top six would be a great achievement. Another 12 months of similar effort followed by promotion would be preferable in "my" opinion, but I don't profess to be an expert, just lived a long time. It would also allow for some financial recovery from the credit crunch.

Sustainability is the word, in ALL areas. :wink:

Not disputing that Gary. I know the effort etc that takes place.

After floundering around the relegation zone for the last few years, getting into the heady heights of the top half, and even into the top six would be a great achievement. Another 12 months of similar effort followed by promotion would be preferable in "my" opinion, but I don't profess to be an expert, just lived a long time. It would also allow for some financial recovery from the credit crunch.

Sustainability is the word, in ALL areas. :wink:

So if we are good enough to make the play-offs are you suggesting we should throw in the towel and not compete :?

Will our own supporters be cheering for the opposition?

Will no one turn up to watch - or will we witness an increased level of interest and support in the club?

I know for a fact it will be a lot easier to get backers on board if we are a successful club moving up the leagues instead of staying in a comfort zone.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course but the aim of the board of directors at the CEO is onwards and upwards, while at the same time not over strethcing the club's finances and pressing the self destruct button many clubs press in their search of the holy grail!

We will only ever spend what we can afford to spend!

Warrington Town is fortunate to have a board of 10 local business men - we don't rely on one money man to bank role us like many clubs do - and when they end up spitting their dummy out or going bust they leave the club with nothing.

Success I gather hasn't happened in the last few seasons for Town but now with the extra advertising and promoting of the Club which Gary and rest of the Members are doing a fantastic job it is easy to find articles, reviews and information on Warrington Town these days, add that with promotion and/or a real push for promotion then I am sure the glory hunters will come out and watch a few games.

Admittedly I haven't watched any Unibond Premier Teams play but the standard cant be much different from what we watch in our division. Yes you have your Top of the Table teams but thats the same in every league, if the team is good enough to go up then it is good enough to stay up the next season.

This week will be the big week and 6 points is a must to prove us fans wrong/right about promotion, lets leave it another 7 days and start this debate again shall we.....we will have a clearer picture of where the teams stands then.

Admittedly I haven't watched any Unibond Premier Teams play but the standard cant be much different from what we watch in our division. Yes you have your Top of the Table teams but thats the same in every league, if the team is good enough to go up then it is good enough to stay up the next season.

You saw us knock Nantwich out the FA Cup this season - they are a Unibond Premier team.

Warrington knocked Matlock Town out of the FA Trophy away from home last season - another Uibond Premier League team.

We narrowly lost 4-3 in a thriller with Vauxhall motors who are from the Conference North.

Warrington have nothing to fear from competing in the Premier League - other than apathy from football fans in the town who would rather follow the Prima Donas from the Premier League.

Non league football is REAL football.

If football fans in Warrington would rather support Premier League teams and invest their hard earned cash to finance the extravagant lifestyles of premier league footballers like John Terry :oops: that is their choice - but I know what I would rather be doing - supporting a local club which contributes to the local economy and allows free admission to all youngsters in the town.

This week will be the big week and 6 points is a must to prove us fans wrong/right about promotion, lets leave it another 7 days and start this debate again shall we.....we will have a clearer picture of where the teams stands then.

Anyone can beat anyone on their day at this level - I mean Woodley Sports beat Lancaster 4-1 at the weekend - Lancaster are one of the best teams in the league :shock:

There are 63 points left to play for this season - while six points would be nice this week even a slip up will not be the end of the world.

There is a long way to go - but one thing is for sure - we won't be fighting relegation for the first time in a long time.

Some of the fans have been on the receiving end of promotions/relegations in the past, and have seen the club coming close to going out of business because of them, so they may appear a little cautious.

The club now appears to be being run on a sound financial basis; the team is producing some decent football on the field, and it is nice to be looking upwards rather than down. However it is only during this current season that this has been the case. A period of consolidation might be a good thing in some respects.

If town do get into the playoffs, and get promoted, the fans will not stop supporting the club, however if we don?t quite make the grade this year, I personally will not be broken hearted, there is always next season!

Some of the fans have been on the receiving end of promotions/relegations in the past, and have seen the club coming close to going out of business because of them, so they may appear a little cautious.

The club now appears to be being run on a sound financial basis; the team is producing some decent football on the field, and it is nice to be looking upwards rather than down. However it is only during this current season that this has been the case. A period of consolidation might be a good thing in some respects.

If town do get into the playoffs, and get promoted, the fans will not stop supporting the club, however if we don?t quite make the grade this year, I personally will not be broken hearted, there is always next season!

I don't think any fans have ever seen Warrington Town in contention for a play-off spot/promotion from the Unibond Dvision One North as it is the highest the club has ever been!:shock:

No I don't think we have been in contention at this level before, what I mentioned above are promotions/relegations at lower levels that nearly proved disastrous due poor finances and poor playing squads.

The finances are better than they have ever been - and the squad is continuing to get better.

Gavin Salmon is a top signing and my sources tell me there may be some even bigger signings to come! :wink:

WATCH THIS SPACE - IT MAY EVEN HAPPEN THIS WEEK! :shock:

So there is plenty to be positive about - now lets hope we don't slip up against Rossendale tomorrow! :roll:

Lets not get carried away just yet, yes we can enjoy the success of this season but realistically next season is the real push for promotion, thats if we dont sneak it this year as outsiders.

Gary - any news on a new keeper??

Attacking midfielder? and a big name will go along way to our success in the next year or two :)

Things are looking up at the Club now so lets enjoy it while we can

Gary. You don't need to go on the defensive. Tomo and his mates do that ok.

FTB.Slight doubt creeping into your posts. :wink:

Both of you. The fans DO want success, but take the rose-tinted specs off and read and "understand" what is being said.

The fact that the club is looking at the play-offs(and it was only a couple of weeks back that the "next 6 points are vital) means that the club is entering un-charted waters and that promotion brings lots of different aspects to saturdays, apart from the football.

Take a chill pill. It is not all black and white. only in Newcastle.

Lets not get carried away just yet, yes we can enjoy the success of this season but realistically next season is the real push for promotion, thats if we dont sneak it this year as outsiders.

Gary - any news on a new keeper??

Attacking midfielder? and a big name will go along way to our success in the next year or two :)

Things are looking up at the Club now so lets enjoy it while we can

I agree with you mate, guess we could all get carried away with the thought of playing in uni prem. Lets concentrate on pushing up the table and building a solid foundation of being a team hard to beat. Too many opposing fans in this league look down there nose at us and its time to prove them wrong.

If we become a team who is hard to beat, grind out results, string some good form together and get the right players for the team we will be in the top 6 come end of march. JD can sort the team out over the summer if we get promotion ready for the prem next season.

Lots of games to get through next two months so lets get behind them and give them the support they need to get up the table.

:D

You cant choose when your going to be promoted!!

I think that post is disgraceful to be fairly honest, how can a few near misses help a team?? if they are good enough to be promoted then they are good enough to stay up.

Each league is split between top half teams and bottom half teams with the occasional surprise here and there, look at Stocksbridge park steels for example they came up from the South (which i have been informed is worse than the north for standard) and they are comfortably safe from relegation.

Explain to me how not achieving promotion and failing at the last hurdle can help a club as a whole? players and fans will be disheartened, people don't want to watch second place or teams that always lose at the last hurdle.

A Town the size of Warrington will jump on success (the wolves as a prime example) and a play off end of season and chance of promotion will certainly boost the attendances come the end of season, and with promotion it will add more people every week.

Bigger teams and more known teams visiting Cantilever Park will only boost the attendances, the team at present still needs a few additions but there's no doubt if they want to be promoted they will be by the end of the season or next year.

Just my view at the end of the day

i agree that you cant choose to get promoted however let me give you a team that have had many near misses in the league and have gone from below to above warrington in the last few seasons!

Fleetwood town!!

After many close seasons in the north west counties finishing second their crowds had doubled because they were winning more games than they were winning!

Most town fans will remember playing fleetwood and to be honest most would agree that they were bobbins and had very small crowds!

now look were they are flying high in the conference north and get massive crowds.

A team who had been promoted to quickly is Mossley they went into the premier divison a few years ago and started to lose more games than they were winning so many people stopped watching!

I would love town to get promoted however i think if we had a few seasons of building bigger crowds by finishing closer to the top half of the table rather than scrapping around at the bottom of the league puting alot of people off the so be it!

Both of you. The fans DO want success, but take the rose-tinted specs off and read and "understand" what is being said.

I am not being defensive - Just pointing out my opinion on a topic which is headed "Promotion coudl mean disaster" and a supporter suggesting we are "miles away on and off the field."

Being right at the sharp end I totally disagree with these comments.

Yes there is still a lot of hard work but promotion would not be a disaster and the club is within touching distance from where it was three years ago!

If supporters feel we are miles away what message does that send out to those thinking of coming along to watch! :roll:

But keep the healthy debate coming and I will not be imposing any life bans on supporters who speak their mind! :lol::wink:

I am not being defensive - Just pointing out my opinion on a topic which is headed "Promotion coudl mean disaster" and a supporter suggesting we are "miles away on and off the field."

Being right at the sharp end I totally disagree with these comments.

Yes there is still a lot of hard work but promotion would not be a disaster and the club is within touching distance from where it was three years ago!

If supporters feel we are miles away what message does that send out to those thinking of coming along to watch! :roll:

But keep the healthy debate coming and I will not be imposing any life bans on supporters who speak their mind! :lol::wink:

Gary my point is some of the football we have played this season has been pretty good alot better than the last few seasons however we have had some appauling performances on the field this season!

however im not on about finances im on about facilities to hold big crowds! the bar at times can be abit of a joke as is the car parking!

i can see gary the massive step forward this club has made.

the 14 years i have seen us in the lowly reaches in the nwcfl and watching us losing to teams like chadderton!

like i said i would love to see us promoted and giving fcum a stuffing! :lol:

What Warrington Town have as a bonus for being in this position is no fear or pressure, I think the team is able to play with a no-pressure aspect as no body has expected us to be where we are now at this stage of the season, we can enjoy it and push the team on further.

The team are able to go out and play their normal game win, lose or draw and we the fans can only enjoy each win as it gives us this added buzz of maybe just maybe you never know.

My point is teams such as Halifax, Lancaster, Colwyn bay etc etc they have to win every game to show they are title contenders, we are lucky we dont have that pressure.

The only people the players have to prove to are themselves, do they believe they can be promoted?? if so then show us, if not then why are you playing??

I for one hope Joey installs this into the players heads and they show us they can do it, you just never know what might happen.

Someone once said 'football is a strange game' it sure is...

good discusion here

basically it has been a massive improvement from last season and we should keep looking forward and achieve as much as we can.

if we do win promotion, yes I do agree that this might be a bit early in are development plans but as long as the "business" side is kept an eye on we can overcome this.

However Gary it is easy to look at the short term (i.e till end of season) and get carried away. The supporters & hopefully you are in this for the long run so the odd near miss season is neither nor there.

GO TEAM WEARRINGTON TOWN

good discusion here

However Gary it is easy to look at the short term (i.e till end of season) and get carried away. The supporters & hopefully you are in this for the long run so the odd near miss season is neither nor there.

GO TEAM WEARRINGTON TOWN

Tim I can assure you after being involved for the past Three seasons, most of which have been involved in getting the club on a sound financial footing, I do do not look at things in the short term.

There are huge developments going on behind the scenes at the moment which will, all being well, take Warrington Town Fc to the next level on and off the field.

If all existing supporters brought one paying customer with them to our game tomorrow - it would help speed up the process.

So lets all work together as TEAM Warrington.

You must all know at least one person you can drag along kicking and screaming.

:wink: