It can be done

asperity

Read this about the new elected mayor of Doncaster:

Within a week of his election, Mr Davies had slashed his own salary from ?73,000 to ?30,000, scrapped the mayoral limousine and abolished the council's free newspaper.

He has written to the Electoral Commission asking them to scrap two-thirds of Doncaster's 63 council seats in order to save the town ?800,000 a year.

'If Pittsburgh can manage with nine councillors, why do we need 63?' he asks. 'They each get a basic salary of ?12,590 and we have only eight council meetings a year anyway.'

Deeply sceptical of 'green claptrap', he must be the only mayor in Britain who wants more traffic in his town. He says it will boost business and has just announced plans for more parking spaces and an end to bus-only routes. 'Like it or not, we live in the age of the car,' he says.

He wants to cut all 'non-jobs' in his 13,500 workforce - such as platinum-pensioned 'community cohesion officers' - and aims to shrivel future pay deals for council executives.

Much as he likes his chief executive, Paul Hart, he says his ?175,000 salary is 'a joke' and that any successor can expect half.

'Don't believe that stuff about "having to pay the best to get the best". It's arrant nonsense - look what it did to the City,' he says.

And he is in the process of 'de-twinning' Doncaster from its five twin towns around the world. Twinning, he says, is all about free holidays for councillors and their staff. On taking office, he was amazed to discover that the council had agreed to pay a ?2,800 hotel bill during next month's St Leger race meeting at the local racecourse.

The money is for entertaining councillors from Herten, Doncaster's (soon-to-be-ex) twin town in Germany. It was too late to cancel the reservations, but Mr Davies will ensure the exercise is not repeated.

'Racing happens to be my passion, but I don't expect the taxpayer to fund it,' he says.

While these preliminary cuts may be local government heresy, what has really marked out Mr Davies for liberal opprobrium is his gratuitously provocative assault on what he calls 'the culture of political correctness'.

He has scrapped all future funding for Doncaster's annual Gay Pride event. 'I'm not a homophobe, but I don't see why council taxpayers should pay to celebrate anyone's sexuality,' he says.

He has scrapped funding for council translation services on the grounds that people should be encouraged to learn English. And he has scrapped the word 'diversity' from his list of cabinet portfolios.

'Going on about diversity causes racial tension, it doesn't improve it,' he says. 'The Government has just admitted that gipsies should be given special treatment and that only makes people angry. I want every citizen of Doncaster to be equal.'

Mr Davies is certainly setting himself up for demonisation - by Labour, Tory and Liberal alike. And the twice-married father-of-three hasn't even hit the 100-day mark. His critics are quiet for now, but I dare say Labour HQ has recruited a team of smear merchants to trawl through his past and his bins. He certainly speaks his mind, which is always a godsend for enemy spin doctors.

Here's Davies on climate change: 'I'm not green and I'm not conned by global warming.'

On women in the workplace: 'Why do we expect pregnant women to work?'

On council affiliations: 'I don't want to join things; I want to unjoin them.'

His son is the Conservative MP for Shipley.

With regards to the CEO's salary, which is a disgrace and an insult to the hard pressed council taxpayers of Doncaster ( I almost went to live there back in the 80's....but that's another story :roll::wink: ), as an elected Mayor, I thought that you could then do away with the position of CEO.

PS With regards to cutting councillors, a very good idea...I notice that they are paid substantially more than in Warrington....for a similar sized authority, the comparison with Pittsburgh is probably not a good one as whilst they do indeed have just a Mayor and 9 Member, their system means that they have lots of Boards, Authorities, Commissions and Task Forces. Maybe their system is a better system, I don't know. Many of the appointments to these bodies are in the "gift" of the Mayor.

I want every citizen of Doncaster to be equal

Well that's nearly as bad as giving gypsies special treatment. :roll::roll:

I think Mr Davies discussed Gypsies in his article, seems that they flock to Doncaster and the Council have had to provide 51 pitches for them....which I sense he is a bit ....a lot...fed up about. Personally I think Mr Davies should be employing BazJ as the council's Gypsy and Travellers Co-ordinator. :wink::D:D

Having done a large job for Doncaster racecourse a few years ago, I spent quite a bit of time there too and it is a typical Yorkshire town full of people who are willing to speak their minds..... at last they seem to have a fantastic representitive and I only wish (god how I wish) that we could get someone like him over here in Warrington.

With regards to Gay Pride; I was in the unfortunate position to be in London when the last one happened and I was disgusted to see Fire Engines, Ambulances and Police cars as part of the parade along with the disgraceful spectacle of the Union Jack having been defaced into some form of pink monstrosity... Each to their own as they say; but not when it affects others too.

Paul, we really, really, really need someone like this to run Warrington. If the Mayor of Warrington is not available for transfer, Can I apply? :lol:

Different system Baz: we have non- exec Mayor (just for show), who chairs the Council meetings. Folk think the Leader has the power, but as it derives from his fellow councillors, who have an interest in butty binging, jollies etc; he's not in a position to change much. :roll: An elected Mayor however, owes his/her power directly to the electorate; thus allowing him to clamp down on the jollies etc. :wink:

tut tut Pierre: a little knowledge etc: the "new" system based on "an executive" committee, is merely an internal change, but still means Councillors run the show, thus would not allow a Leader to upset their comfort zones. :roll: An "elected" Mayor is elected by the whole electorate, thus being free to sort out Council perks etc to the chagrin of Councillors, and if he's an Independent, even better, no Party machine to direct him. :wink:

Baz for mayor :!::!::!:8):wink:

Dead right.... and I would start by severing any links with Europe and banning car registrations that have that stupid bloody circle of stars with GB in the middle of it.

* Abolish car parking charges

* Sack the parking wardens

* halve the number of councillors

* ban anyone within the council from earning over ?80,000 a year initially and then reduce it year on year to no more than ?50,000

* All of the above to happen within the first 12 months

:lol:

tut tut Pierre: a little knowledge etc: the "new" system based on "an executive" committee, is merely an internal change, but still means Councillors run the show, thus would not allow a Leader to upset their comfort zones. :roll: An "elected" Mayor is elected by the whole electorate, thus being free to sort out Council perks etc to the chagrin of Councillors, and if he's an Independent, even better, no Party machine to direct him. :wink:

obs. You didn't answer the question.

A couple of nights ago, I came across the leaflet that we were given at a presentation at the Tenants and Residents Association. It listed the options and we were asked which we preferred.

If I remember correctly, the consensus was to go with the present system as people felt safer with that.

I am asking if it can be changed, or is this system set in tablets of stone?

One of the options was an elected mayor. My concern at the time, was if the guy was rubbish, could he be sacked.

It was on your mates watch, so maybe you could ask him. :roll:

Not sure they will accept an "on line" petition Baz, presume it's pen and paper! :wink:

But If say someone got a petition together (showing the evidence of what can be done to the public) and went around every door in half of the town and got them all to sign, that would be enough?

I can't imagine going to a front door; showing them what that guy has done in Doncaster, and them saying they won't sign (unless they are a councillor or a council manager!!)

[ and them saying they won't sign (unless they are a councillor

But some of them might sign. :wink:

PS Regarding the Mayor of Doncaster, he hasn't actually done most of what he says he's going to do....yet. My advice to him would be to watch his back, no doubt the knives are being sharpened by those with vested interests to maintain the status quo. :wink:

Baz, If you are elected Mayor :wink: I take it you will lead by example and only buy local produce, and buy British products :D

I already do where I can Kije. My house is in Warrington, I employ Warrington people (and two from Ellesmere Port, but the less said about them the better!! :lol: )

However, If you are refering to things like cars and other such items, they don't make them here anymore. When Rover made the 75 I had a new one of those (as did my business partner, and one of the best cars we have ever had) unfortunately, the Labour government decided it was better to let Rover go bust rather than help them out.

I shop at ASDA and have an office in Warrington and use local suppliers for my company who ship to whichever part of the country we have lads working in; so yes, I do my bit where I can..... and you?