From a sociable, creative intellectual!

Horace

I read in the paper over the weekend that a survey has shown that you can tell what sort of person you are from your musical taste.

Apparently, Classical fans are intellectuals, jazz fans are creative, pop fans are sociable and rock fans are rebellious.

Does anyone recognise this in themselves?

It would make me a sociable, creative, intellectual (provided the pop music was written before the War!)

I'm with Ace. Intellectually I believe some rebellion is necessary or we would all still be dancing Viennese waltzes or singing Elizabethan madrigals. Still, noise to drown out the world isn't 'progressive' IMHO.

We have minimalism in classical, and at one time minimalism in Rock. They only needed one key on the piano, and it was percussive not melodic. I just can't call 4 self proclaimed musicians a 'band' because I know what a band can sound like.

Ewww. You pierced my trial balloon. Who gets to define the word 'band'? Yes, I'm partial to large bands with a variety of instruments capable of expressing large emotions, not just teen-age angst. I'm a little bitter that 'pop performers' who can command the attention of perhaps 10 million Americans -- DEFINE popular music for the other 290 million of us. My grandson thinks Linkin Park is terrific, but by what standards does he have to judge? OK, in his world they are SUPER TERRIFIC. But in my world, I know better.

Re: Linkin Park. I never heard of them either a couple years ago until reading the music thread on W-Worldwide. Turns out they originated in CALIFORNIA. I had assumed they were a British 4 band guys -- maybe like BLUE. I've heard of OASIS but no idea where they perform or what songs they may have put on CHARTS?