dvd/cd drive problem

Evil Sid

just lately i have had a problem with the slaved dvd drive on my pc. it stopped recognising cd-roms and audio cd's but would still recognise and play dvd's

after trying various ideas out i decided that it must be the drive that has gone phut. so today i purchased another dvd/cd writer and spent the best part of two hours trying to get that to work. after trying numerous combinations of cable,jumper and power supply. i still have the same problem.

whichever drive is selected as the slave will not recognise an audio cd or a cd rom but will play a dvd. so it was not the drive but something else. i was wondering if anybody else has this problem on here or has an idea on how to solve it.

i have the sneaky feeling that it something that microsoft have installed in one of their updates. having looked around the web for a similar thing it seems to be a problem that is getting more common.

so any ideas, apart from buy a mac :wink:

1) click the start menu

2) click on "run"

3) type "regedit" and click ok

4) go to string key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5) delete "upper filters" and "lower filters in the right side window.

6) right click my computer in the start menu.

7) click properties

8) go to the hardware tab

9) click device manager

10) expand the dvd/cdrom drives

11) right click the dvd rom and click uninstall

12) restart computer

after restarting, windows should automatically install a clean ROM drive and it should read DVDs just fine if you have the correct DVD decoders.

many thanks for that keith, printed the page out and followed the trail right up until the "upper" and "lower" filters.

it may be me being a bit fick but where abouts are these filters and are they labelled as such. all i could find on the right hand side was the following.

Default reg_zs dvd/cd-rom drives

Class reg_zs cdrom

Enumproppages32 reg_zs mmsys.cpl,mediaproppageprovider

Icon reg_zs -51

Installer32 reg_zs storprop.dll,dvdclassinstaller

Noinstallclass reg_zs 1

Silentinstall reg_zs 1

Troubleshooter-0 reg_zs hcp://help/shoot/tsdrive.htm

also in the folder were five other folders.

properties

so stuck for now. :cry::lol:

thanks for the reply and hope the extra info helps.

i did not mention that i am tunning xp home edition version 2002 sp3 if that make any difference?

it seems that it may be more serious than i thought. am going to get it looked at this morning may have to reformat and start from scratch(yet again).

first time i had to replace the mother board and power supply after the power supply fried it.

second and third time was a popped moniter

then bought a new pc after both hard drive and motherboard went belly up

think there is a curse on me and computers :?:lol:

Nice to know Aview is one of the enlightened Mac users 8):wink:

I wouldn't use anything less, Mac's are the future!

They are a little more expensive, but if you want the best, then it worth investing in one or more. PC's are to virus affected with an unstable platform.

well it turns out that a power dip had blown the chips on both my recorders. also scrambled my c drive.

had to reformat and invest in two new recorders. unfortunately could not get office back on as it was pre installed so have gone over to open office which is just as good and free.

i did price the office suite but for what i had on to be replaced would have been cheaper to buy a new pc

used to have a mac at work and very reluctantly had to go over to pc's when the only guy who did mac support retired.

might look into the modern mac and see what changes have been made.

current version of xp is very stable and so far working fine.

all i have to do now is sort out if i want to work again or not. it seems that i have a choice which is a tale that i will not go into on here as i do not have the time to type it all in. maybe when i get a spare week or so.

well it turns out that a power dip had blown the chips on both my recorders. also scrambled my c drive.

had to reformat and invest in two new recorders. unfortunately could not get office back on as it was pre installed so have gone over to open office which is just as good and free.

i did price the office suite but for what i had on to be replaced would have been cheaper to buy a new pc

used to have a mac at work and very reluctantly had to go over to pc's when the only guy who did mac support retired.

might look into the modern mac and see what changes have been made.

current version of xp is very stable and so far working fine.

all i have to do now is sort out if i want to work again or not. it seems that i have a choice which is a tale that i will not go into on here as i do not have the time to type it all in. maybe when i get a spare week or so.

Good luck!...sounds like you will need it?