NHS call centres?

For one hopful minute I thought this was one of your odd little jokes and jibes aimed at 'people' in charge Obs... I appologise as I've read it for myself now :shock:

I rather stupidly presumed that the hotline would be manned by fully trained medical professionals.

.....with as little as 5 hours training not to mention the lackof English.... HOW will they understand the training in the first place never mind diagnose an illness and offer the correct advice.

God help us all is what I say and no wonder Scotland and Wales are opting out of the hotline service and making their OWN contingency plans.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115512/Migrants-man-swine-flu-helpline.

Anyway now that it's been brought to my attention I WILL still call my GP's surgery or local hospital if the need ever arises... :roll::evil:

Absolutely RIDICULOUS !!!!!

I was going to say that it would be benefitial to future immigrants if many Brits 'popped their clogs' as it would make more space for even more of them to come over in the long run... but of course that would have been really nasty of me so I changed my mind :wink:

I was going to say that it would be benefitial to future immigrants if many Brits 'popped their clogs' as it would make more space for even more of them to come over in the long run... but of course that would have been really nasty of me so I changed my mind :wink:

Good job you didn't then Dis.... otherwise Sgt Kije and the other toga wearing liberals would have branded you a vile racist!! :lol:

:?:lol:

Another question about the NHS call centres....

Will the call operators have direct access to all our medical records? If you go to your GP he/she can look at your past medical history.

Some people may NOT be able to take 'tamiflu' or similar due to other medical conditions or medications being taken. Will the call operators take that into account and will the caller remember to tell them everything if they are feeling really unwell and worried?

That aside....apparently some doctors are saying that people will abuse the call centre system just to obtain 'tamiflu' medication before it runs out incase they ever DO need it.

Doesn't take a genius to describe the symptoms to obtain a voucher for medication and as GP's are refusing to see or visit suspected carriers... no-one would know:?

We could see the current stockpile of medication running out fast if it prescribed and obtained by those who don't actually need it :roll: :

:?:lol:

Another question about the NHS call centres....

Will the call operators have direct access to all our medical records? If you go to your GP he/she can look at your past medical history.

Some people may NOT be able to take 'tamiflu' or similar due to other medical conditions or medications being taken. Will the call operators take that into account and will the caller remember to tell them everything if they are feeling really unwell and worried?

That aside....apparently some doctors are saying that people will abuse the call centre system just to obtain 'tamiflu' medication before it runs out incase they ever DO need it.

Doesn't take a genius to describe the symptoms to obtain a voucher for medication and as GP's are refusing to see or visit suspected carriers... no-one would know:?

We could see the current stockpile of medication running out fast if it prescribed and obtained by those who don't actually need it :roll: :

They will not have any access to any medical history files. They have been on a 6 hour training course and that is it.

Still reckon your best bet is to go and see your GP. Make them earn that ?120,000 a year they are on

You can always rely on Baz to be a dipstick :!::!::!:

Why a dipstick? You have implied that people on here are racists for saying a lot less. I was merely pointing out what I believe to be the case. I know you would like to give it all up Sgt, but this is still a free country where free speech is a right (unless of course we upset you toga wearers of course) :lol:

For once, this Government seems to have applied "common sense" to an issue - it's just that most of the public don't have it! :lol: However; watched a girl on TV News: who "thought" she had flu symtoms, although she admitted, it could have just been a bad cold. :roll: So, she rings up the help line, and next thing, she's being interviewed whilst picking up her Tamiflu. :? Errm, whether she had a cold or swine-flu (both are contagious); why was she wondering around other folk at all? :twisted: The idea is: ISOLATE yourself, and get "a friend" to bring all necessary supplies to your door-step. :roll:

An item in the Express today; a woman who had been diagnosed with Swine Flu last week described her symptoms from start to finish. Well, I'm sorry but she just had a nasty cold.

She said her sinuses were blocked, her chest hurt and she had a bad cough, her head ached, then her temperature went up to 38.4 and she had to go to bed for 2 days. Yes, that sounds like the last bad cold I had - except I couldn't go to bed for 2 days. :roll:

Having had the severe puts-you-on-your-back-for-a-week sort, in the past, I don't call a heavy cold "flu" but I think half the population does.

I completely agree with you Kate... sounds more like a bad cold which lets face it we all get from time to time. Real Flu knocks a person for six and certainly wont be better in 2 days. Don't think I've ever had flu but I have had my fair share of really bad colds but I just get on with it cos I have to

If I had told an unqualified call centre operative my symptoms over the past gew weeks they would probably have give me Tamiflu.

I go very hot (although I'm not sure if I have a temperature as I don't have a thermometer)

I have a headache

My sinuses are sore and left side seem blocked

I have a cough which is both tickly in the day and chesty at night.

I'm sneezing a lot

My nose constantly runs

I'm tired and lethargic all the time

I can't sleep

I can't breath very well and am very chesty and wheezy at times

........... I have my usual bad case of June/July Hayfever !!!!

I believe Tamiflu will reduce the length of a dose of flu by 24 hours, but only if taken within 48 hours of the symptoms appearing. Going to see the doctor will not reduce the suffering, just waste his time and increase the risk of your giving the flu to other people. :wink::wink:

What do you do on a ship if someone contracts it Asp ? Must be hard to quarantine them as don't ships have air conditioning and the likes?

I guess you could always dangle them overboard or put them in a life raft and tow them behind until they are feeling better :lol:

It's all very well for call centre operators to diagnose flu from symptoms such as high temperature, tummy ache, headache and dry cough. In the meantime, though, other illnesses continue as normal. Children still get meningitis, and may well present with high temperatures, tummy ache, headaches and a dry cough. Children still get bacterial pneumonia and may well present with high temperatures, tummy ache, headaches and a dry cough. Children still get pyelonephritis (kidney infections) and may well present with high temperatures, tummy ache, headaches and a dry cough. Children still get acute appendicitis and may well present with high temperatures, tummy ache, headaches and a dry cough. Children still get acute leukaemia and may well present with high temperatures, tummy ache, headaches and a dry cough.

Presented with these symptoms you may as well make your own diagnosis, because you could be just as right, or wrong, as the layman on the other end of the phone.

I believe many doctors are unconvinced by the claims for Tamiflu and are concerned by the side effects.

:wink::wink::shock: