Left overs?

observer

bubble and squeak is the leftovers of the sunday vegetables, fried with mashed potatoes and served with the cold cuts of left over meat from the dinner, occasionally the meat being cooked in the mixture as well.

scouse (Lobscouse) was originally a lamb stew served with hardtack but later became made with any sort of cheap meat cut. with out meat is known as blind scouse. several regional variations of recipe and spelling. but basically a stew made with a lot of potatoes and a small amount of meat and few assorted veg thrown in for variety

I tend to mash the left over veg with the mashed spuds, and fry in butter, adding pepper - yummy. :wink: Your "scouse" sounds like "tatter ash"; we used to have a roast joint on Saturday, have it cold on Sunday, then as "tater ash" (stew) on Monday. :shock: Turkeys can provide a hot meal, then cold with salad and finally a soup. :shock: Believe this is what they call getting value for money in a climate of austerity! :wink:

• 1 year later...

if we have left overs,we either give it to the dogs or have it the next day heated up.....I do love roast dinners fried up with an oxo and abit more gravy...untill its bubbling...also nice with brown sauce yummmmmmmmmmmm,may do that with any left over from christmas roast......................

After Christmas Day dinner, I like nothing better than to have a slow and lieasurely pick, with the left over meat, and plenty of pickles, and that usually lasts through Boxing Day.

Then comes the creme de lem creme, which I allways look forward to. Bacon egg and chips with lashings of vinegar and a good dollop of brown paint to be mopped up wiith bread and butter. And it will be the best plate of Bacon egg and chips for the whole of the following year.

Obs I've just found a great little book in a box in the spare room (the things you find when you are bored eh :lol: )

It's all about recipes that you can make with your left over food.

If you have anything specific you want to use up let me know and I'll see if it's in the book....

.... or you could get your own copy. It's a 'Green Book Guide' called 'Eat Well, Waste Less... and A to Z guide to using up leftovers' and has the WBC logo on the back.

Got mine ages ago from one of the councils 'litter'/'environment' type men :oops:

Obs I've just found a great little book in a box in the spare room (the things you find when you are bored eh :lol: )

It's all about recipes that you can make with your left over food.

If you have anything specific you want to use up let me know and I'll see if it's in the book....

.... or you could get your own copy. It's a 'Green Book Guide' called 'Eat Well, Waste Less... and A to Z guide to using up leftovers' and has the WBC logo on the back.

Got mine ages ago from one of the councils 'litter'/'environment' type men :oops:

He probably wrote it.

Wonder if he did as it's pretty good actually and is professionally printer in glossy book format.

Very helpfull and what a nice chap he was too... made a pleasant change to have someone from the council going out of his way to help with something :wink::D

Couldn't see anything about them in it :lol:

The book is in support of this national campaign and although it has a WBC logo all over it.. it is written by a lady called Bish Muir and is in support of the national campaing to waste less... website here :-

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/

and just for Obs here's the Bubble and Squeak recipe from the site

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/recipes/show/23-bubble-and-squeak

and a nice sounding recipe fro leftover xmas poudding

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/recipes/show/133-christmas-pudding-strudel

and another for Turkey, Ham and Leek Pie

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/recipes/show/128-turkey-ham-and-leek-pie

and Roast Dinner Soup :shock::?

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/recipes/show/271-roast-dinner-soup

Any suggestions for pate, cheeses, salad and masses of various types of chololates Obs... house looks like Willy Wonkas Chocolate Factory at the moment with boxes and tins of the stuff everywhere :shock:

Also any suggestions for 'Bakers Special Edition' dog food in Gravy (my dog wont eat it) :lol:

All the bags of unused vegies are going in the oven covered in olive oil and balsamic vinegar...yum :D